Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Film School-question from a newb

hi everyone. I'm very new to the site, just registered and logged in about 10 minutes ago. I'm an aspiring screenwriter just like ya'll..well screenwriter and playwrite.....anyway. Nice to meet all of you.

So I'm thinking about going to film school.....but its not UCLA or USC.....its more like Los Angeles Film School or New York Film Academy. Both offer 1 year programs.....My question is, what are your thoughts on attending such a school? Good idea? Bad idea? Does it make a difference?

I have to make a decision fairly quickly so I'm trying to do as much research as I can, ask as many questions as I can. So feedback of any kind would be very helpful. Thank you

PS, here are the links to the school ya'll can check out:

http://www.lafilm.com/

http://www.nyfa.com/

Re: LA Film School-question from a newb

I had a friend who did the LA Film school. It was a mixed bag. It's expensive and if you're a writer you end up paying for your film. The producers don't have pay for anything.

My friend was a writer and made a short that did well in festivals, but not great. It didn't get her an agent or anything. The film cost her over $20K and she also had to pay tuition. To me, it was a lot of money to show her film in a lot of third rate festivals. I think she would have been better off and less in debt if she'd just focused on her writing.

With that said, if you want to make a short and don't know how to do it on your own, I think this is a good program. But, unless you create a really amazing short, I don't think it will make your career.

Comment

Do you want to direct or do you want to write? If you want to write, consider UCLA's Professional Program in screenwriting. It's not a degree program, but it's run by the film school and uses many of the same instructors. I think they may also have a similar program for producing.

kullervo

Comment

Originally posted by kullervo
        Do you want to direct or do you want to write? If you want to write, consider UCLA's Professional Program in screenwriting. It's not a degree program, but it's run by the film school and uses many of the same instructors. I think they may also have a similar program for producing.

kullervo
        To take that program however, you do need an undergraduate's degree (in any field).
        "This is insane, he has space dimentia" - a line from Armageddon

Comment

Working...
        X