X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FeechLaManna
    replied
    Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
    In case it helps in any way, this is the official statement I received back from Final Draft about all...
    Thanks. Yeah that sounds like 10%, still not sure where they're getting 3% (unless it's for one of the individual competitions).

Leave a comment:

• Done Deal Pro
    replied
    In case it helps in any way, this is the official statement I received back from Final Draft about all...

We received nearly double our usual entries which was around 8k for a few years. We did have over 1800 quarter-finalists this year and are working around the clock to catch up on reads.

I have semis ready to go but Gmail is having major outages this week so we are waiting for that to get fixed before we send more emails as most of our contestants utilize the platform to receive our communications.

I'm hoping to announce Top-10 shortly after the new year, but again, this year has been nuts to say the least and we are doing the best we can to announce everyone as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• FeechLaManna
    replied
    Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    If you don't think it's correct then take it up with Final Draft as they sent the email.
    Approx 1000 feature film scripts made the QF (and mine was one of them) indicating they had 33k entries. This makes sense as the norm is 20k and more people have entered this year due to lockdown/furlough.

Here's the email:

Dear XXXXXX,

Congratulations! Your script XXXXXX has advanced to the 2020 Big Break Quarter-Finalists. We received an overwhelming number of entries this year. Our readers have the unenviable task of advancing only three percent of entries and yours made the cut!

You can view the Quarter-Finalists here

While you're waiting for more news from us, you may want to check out interviews from some of our Big Break winners here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected]. Please note that it may take up to one business day for us to respond.

Congratulations again on advancing to the quarter-finals!

Sincerely,
    The Big Break Team
    I might. I just don't understand how they could have 33K entries when Austin Film Festival had around 13K.

Leave a comment:

• SundownInRetreat
    replied
    If you don't think it's correct then take it up with Final Draft as they sent the email.
    Approx 1000 feature film scripts made the QF (and mine was one of them) indicating they had 33k entries. This makes sense as the norm is 20k and more people have entered this year due to lockdown/furlough.

Here's the email:

Dear XXXXXX,

Congratulations! Your script XXXXXX has advanced to the 2020 Big Break Quarter-Finalists. We received an overwhelming number of entries this year. Our readers have the unenviable task of advancing only three percent of entries and yours made the cut!

You can view the Quarter-Finalists here

While you're waiting for more news from us, you may want to check out interviews from some of our Big Break winners here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected]. Please note that it may take up to one business day for us to respond.

Congratulations again on advancing to the quarter-finals!

Sincerely,
    The Big Break Team

Leave a comment:

• FeechLaManna
    replied
    Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
    In the Quarters - which is the bare minimum I expect from any competition.

The confirmation email said the QF represents the top 3%, which seems a lot more exclusive than I expected. No idea how many are left in the running, though.
    I didn't get the e-mail saying QF was top 3%, but there's no way that's correct (unless for your specific category it was). In pilots 260 scripts made the QF, if that was top 3%, then that would mean there were over 8K pilots.

However, to the other person's comment who said that the every script made the QF, I know they're exaggerating but that's not really accurate either. It seems like they took top 10% which is what they usually do for QF because usually there's around 2500-3000 pilots (again, could be different for other categories).

And to people complaining about them taking too long--I'm glad they're taking long. To me that shows me that they're actually reading the scripts. There were some competitions in the early summer that didn't push back at all (or barely). Humanitas, Script Pipeline and Page I believe come to mind, and when I saw that, I did a double take. I think FD has a smaller group of readers that read a lot more (like around 60), compared to say Austin which has 500 readers but they read much less per person. Plus FDs deadlines are the latest for the major competitions, so they probably got all of the scripts that people started writing when covid hit.

I trust FD Big Break more than the other for profit competitions because they have a name to uphold plus they don't offer coverage or any other scam add ons. Add to this, I think Kala Guess is extremely trustworthy as the competition runner and she genuinely has empathy for writers and all the work they put in.

Leave a comment:

• Madbandit
    replied
    Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
    Did they actually remove any names/titles from the initial list of QFs? At first glance, it looks like they threw up their hands and said, "Let's just call everyone on this list a winner and call it good."
    Looks that way, which is why, despite the pandemic, there seems to be a lack of professionalism.

Leave a comment:

• acquaformosa
    replied
    Did they actually remove any names/titles from the initial list of QFs? At first glance, it looks like they threw up their hands and said, "Let's just call everyone on this list a winner and call it good."

Leave a comment:

• Madbandit
    replied
    Here's the list of finalists. I didn't make it on the list, but the contest organizers didn't have the courtesy to email those who didn't. I know there's a pandemic, but the professionalism is lacking. I don't think I'm going to enter any contests in the near future. I would be more upset, but I'm ghostwriting a screenplay and I'm getting paid in the low five figures for it. Weird, huh? https://www.finaldraft.com/big-break...est/finalists/
    Last edited by Madbandit; 12-03-2020, 02:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SundownInRetreat
    replied
    In the Quarters - which is the bare minimum I expect from any competition.

The confirmation email said the QF represents the top 3%, which seems a lot more exclusive than I expected. No idea how many are left in the running, though.

Leave a comment:

• mgwriter
    replied
    Originally posted by purplenurple View Post

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The one thing Covid can't take away is the ability to read. As you said something is wrong. On technical side or they didn't hire enough readers. This is the 3rd contest I've entered. No issues with other 2 in hitting their deadline despite increased workload. I emailed them to ask and the response was they have no idea if they will even announce anything this month.
    Maybe next step is they can start announcing refunds. 😏

Leave a comment:

• purplenurple
    replied
    Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
    The Covid circumstances are the same for other contests too, something else must have gone wrong over there.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The one thing Covid can't take away is the ability to read. As you said something is wrong. On technical side or they didn't hire enough readers. This is the 3rd contest I've entered. No issues with other 2 in hitting their deadline despite increased workload. I emailed them to ask and the response was they have no idea if they will even announce anything this month.

Leave a comment:

• mgwriter
    replied
    The Covid circumstances are the same for other contests too, something else must have gone wrong over there.

Leave a comment:

• Madbandit
    replied
    Yeah. I noticed that too. With the pandemic, I think the Big Break guys got overwhelmed by a lot of entries, including mine. I don't mind venting, but the circumstances are there.

Leave a comment:

• Final Draft Big Break... Wow are they taking forever

Supposed to announce the quarter-finalists at end of September. Pushed it to October. It's now 11-06-20 and still haven't. Just venting but someone doesn't have their act together.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 12-06-2020, 08:21 PM. Reason: Added tags
Working...
X