Nicholl 2021

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Made Semis as well!
    Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Jackanory View Post
      Real tough competition this year, I've got a feeling there's some excellent scripts kicking around; so, I'm extremely grateful that my war-drama reached the SFs and is one step closer to the golden gates of Nicholl final-dom--

      From the Shadows to the Sun: Five years after she escaped ISIS, a fearsome soldier from an all-female unit searches the collapsing caliphate for the sister she left behind.

      https://twitter.com/AzadiJack/status...01163971948544
      Wow. The research for this must have been intense. Congratulations to you.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

      Comment


      • Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
        Made Semis as well!
        Yes! Well done. Congratulations!

        What genre? What was the logline?
        Clint Hill
        Member
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 09-07-2021, 04:25 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

        Comment


        • Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
          Made Semis as well!
          Awesome. Have you found it listed on the facebook page yet? I find it insane that it's NOT easy to find. I should be able to see the list. So should reps.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Bono View Post

            Awesome. Have you found it listed on the facebook page yet? I find it insane that it's NOT easy to find. I should be able to see the list. So should reps.
            No, they told us it would go up on Sunday but I never saw it. Honestly not sure if the embargo is still in effect.

            edit: From what I hear, what happened is The Academy realized by releasing the names they were creating a "non-blind" read for academy members who will be judging. So I wouldn't expect the full list to be released again.
            Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
              Made Semis as well!
              Yay!! Good for you. Good luck moving forward.?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by asteven50 View Post

                No, they told us it would go up on Sunday but I never saw it. Honestly not sure if the embargo is still in effect.

                edit: From what I hear, what happened is The Academy realized by releasing the names they were creating a "non-blind" read for academy members who will be judging. So I wouldn't expect the full list to be released again.
                That's what my buddy said -- Sunday.

                I don't know what "non-blind" means. Isn't it the 150 scripts left to choose from?

                Is this how it usually goes?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                  Made Semis as well!
                  Congrats!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post

                    Wow. The research for this must have been intense. Congratulations to you.
                    Thank you. 'intense' would be appropriate

                    Comment


                    • Reader Comments are up to download or print.
                      -----

                      So far, reading mine has left me experiencing equal parts excitement, amusement, confusion, and bewilderment.

                      Yay for readers and their completely opposite opinions, lest you have confidence in anything you write.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        I don't know what "non-blind" means. Isn't it the 150 scripts left to choose from?
                        But if a semi-final/finals reader were say looking at the Academy's social media postings, they might now know which name goes with a given script (which they're not supposed to know as a reader)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post

                          But if a semi-final/finals reader were say looking at the Academy's social media postings, they might now know which name goes with a given script (which they're not supposed to know as a reader)
                          Okay, I don't think it's life or death, but sure. So are these all new readers who never read any of these scripts before the Final round? I assume it was more they get in a room and discuss which should move forward or the scores have already decided? Are they getting new eyes on the spec each round? Averaging the scores.

                          I always assumed most screenplay contest they just released the winners in sections QT, SEMIS, FINALIST, WINNER, but that was decided all together.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Bono View Post

                            Okay, I don't think it's life or death, but sure. So are these all new readers who never read any of these scripts before the Final round? I assume it was more they get in a room and discuss which should move forward or the scores have already decided? Are they getting new eyes on the spec each round? Averaging the scores.

                            I always assumed most screenplay contest they just released the winners in sections QT, SEMIS, FINALIST, WINNER, but that was decided all together.
                            In past years, I believe they didn't release the QF and SF lists until after the contest was over, because the finalist scripts are read by Academy members and not the paid readers who read the original set. I thought it was strange when they released the full list of QF right away. The reads are supposed to be as blind as possible. That's my memory, it may be wrong. I haven't paid attention to the Nicholl for the last few years though.

                            Comment


                            • I'm saying logic wise it makes no sense. Aren't the Academy members reading the top scripts and choosing from those anyway? We can't tell you the 150 names of the people. Here are 150 specs to read and choose from.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bono View Post
                                I'm saying logic wise it makes no sense. Aren't the Academy members reading the top scripts and choosing from those anyway? We can't tell you the 150 names of the people. Here are 150 specs to read and choose from.
                                I'm guessing it's more for insulating Nicholl from a tsunami of paranoid screenwriter emails complaining about the integrity of the competition on the remote chance that a random reader sees a random writer's name as much as ensuring the integrity of the reads themselves.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X