X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh hell no.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post

VoltarReturns. VoltarReturns. Last radio transmission garbled. Over. Too much static. Over. Repeat last transmission. I say again: Repeat last transmission. Over and out.
      The Nicholl is posting interviews with this year’s winners. Some of them will be posted in the next two weeks so I don’t have a link yet. Type Nicholl Fellowship YouTube into the google box and the right page should appear.

https://Youtu.be/R3Z-cxMnB_E

(2) Dating seems to be a good choice. Young women who discover they don’t know as much as they think they do.
      (3). A sense of humor. In the interviews, the writers laugh a lot. They want to show the funny side of finding a soul mate you can spend the rest of your life with, without killing him in his sleep. Too many writers think killing him is the better story (CSI: Miami, the mentalist, too many to list)
      why is love wonderful?
      why does it last?
      if you want to keep a Nicholl judge turning pages, this is one approach that works

(1) The Nicholl site gives the log lines of the fifty scripts that got the most points from readers. I can see at least ten possible themes for Original if you write your own hard luck story with a sense of humor
      Last edited by VoltarReturns; 12-09-2021, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by VoltarReturns View Post
        (1) The Nicholl site gives the log lines of the fifty scripts that got the most points from readers. I can see at least ten possible themes for Original if you write your own hard luck story with a sense of humor
        Roger. Wilco. Over and out.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

The Nicholl is posting interviews with this year’s winners. Some of them will be posted in the next two weeks so I don’t have a link yet. Type Nicholl Fellowship YouTube into the google box and the right page should appear.

(2) Dating seems to be a good choice. Young women who discover they don’t know as much as they think they do.
          (3). A sense of humor. In the interviews, the writers laugh a lot. They want to show the funny side of finding a soul mate you can spend the rest of your life with, without killing him in his sleep. Too many writers think killing him is the better story (CSI: Miami, the mentalist, too many to list)
          why is love wonderful?
          why does it last?
          if you want to keep a Nicholl judge turning pages, this is one approach that works

You won't believe these Five Crazy Secrets To Winning the Nicholl!

Comment

• I might not believe them but…

a degree from a graduate screenwriting program at USC, ucla, the faint bias because readers probably live in LA , but a place where the script has received lots of notes and the writer paid a lot of tuition

a place to work with a massive white board

within walking distance of a Chinese restaurant

an adoring fan base on instagram

that’s all I’ve got

Comment

why is love wonderful?
              why does it last?

VoltarReturns: Which one did you choose? My choice is my own, unbelievable-but-true, "hard luck story told with a sense of humor."
              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

• Originally posted by Clint Hill View Post

VoltarReturns: Which one did you choose? My choice is my own, unbelievable-but-true, "hard luck story told with a sense of humor."
                The Supreme Court makes landmark ruling to relieve overcrowding in federal prisons. White House staffers think the elderly President had a stroke when he issues fifty thousand Presidential pardons. All 400 of the prisoners in the Colorado super-max AMX are set free… only they’re sent 300 years in the future

https://www.coloradoindependent.com/...force-feeding/

not by a time machine but a stasis field that extracts energy from the field and adds it to the power grid to replace coal or nuclear plants…. They have no memory of their time in stasis… nor do millions who volunteered for the project

A very strange new world has evolved where the average European is only four feet tall and consumes very little food.

pills that mimic falling madly in love, taken by couples to recapture their earlier feelings

instead of movies now we spy on other people using
                Miniature camera drones
                Last edited by VoltarReturns; 12-13-2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• What is going to happen when Voltar and WriterRivers figure out that there is more than 1 thread to post on in this board?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    What is going to happen when Voltar and WriterRivers figure out that there is more than 1 thread to post on in this board?
                    I’m doing a “deep dive” into the judging criteria, hoping it triggers some new, higher scoring ideas.

Old idea: The Revisionist History of Black America. A lecturer at the university of Chicago Law School, editor at Harvard Law Review the previous year, named Barack Obama, makes up examples to show how “systemic racism” hurts the government and legal system in America. White law students try to have him fired. No studio would make such a movie, but A Nicholl script can use real names and challenge ideas that people don’t want challenged. The TV show “will & Grace” if you were around back then, showed a former gay couple Will and Jack being friends with a Jewish woman, Grace Adler. Now we accept most everything in that show, but there are other problems that could be challenged today. Not sure you know what they are, but they exist. You have to be brave to be the first Rosa Parks on a bus in Mississippi. Show Barack meeting Oprah in Chicago and running for President

New Idea: a 14?year old experiences free love in London (2021 Fellow)

New Idea: the Supreme Court overturns roe vs wade

New Idea: a hardened brutal black racist serving a life term for ambushing white police officers receives a Presidential pardon when POTUS has a religious awakening after a stroke

these ideas don’t grow on trees. They need notes and room to breathe
                    Last edited by VoltarReturns; 12-10-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• I'm going to write a spec called IDEA TREE where ideas literally grow like leaves on a tree, that sounds the most Nicholl spec idea ever... but I will not submit it to Nicholl, I will send it to reps directly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        I'm going to write a spec called IDEA TREE where ideas literally grow like leaves on a tree, that sounds the most Nicholl spec idea ever... but I will not submit it to Nicholl, I will send it to reps directly.
                        Go full Tarantino where each idea grows into a character with a personality that best expresses the idea…

brad Pitt can play divine intervention with an unlikely miracle at Christmas… (Joe Black)

Gal Gadot as promiscuity in a holographic video game

how about a rabbi named Jeffrey Epstein going to court to change his name, deceit at every possible level

The parents of a school shooter are arrested for buying their child a semi-auto . Actors who can play white trash with tongue in cheek. Brent Spiner on Night Court.

Lamb of God. Alison Brie as a reporter for 60 Minutes exposing the meat packing industry

when you work on a script over a year-long academic program, all the rough spots get sanded down smooth. But it loses surprise and originality. If there isn’t a huge leap, it’s just science, not science FICTION. Long live sand worms that excrete drugs that show us visions of the future and bend space. Some judges will never like The Matrix or star fleet Captains. Drama is a safer choice in many ways. Comedy is harder work
                        Last edited by VoltarReturns; 12-11-2021, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• Pumping black was based on the Lance Armstrong cyclist …
                          The Nicholl judges like going on a journey of discovery but they’re also open to real life stories if it demonstrates skill at making the movie compelling and watchable
                          getting opinions from college screenwriting teachers helps, but in the interviews, are the writers interesting people who have great stories to tell?

Comment

• One lesson from “West Side Story” 2021

if you write a musical, make it kid-friendly because children will assume this is acceptable adult behavior.

joining A gang, insulting ethnic groups…. The gang problem is far different today and we don’t need to show gangs in a big screen musical

an opening weekend of $10 million for a Spielberg movie??

Streaming and Covid and home theaters may have changed the economics of making movies forever. Netflix has value because it sends movies into homes on demand, not because it has made blockbusters like Star Wars and Endgame.

Good lessons for Nicholl: show Africans living in Wakanda, wizards at Hogwarts, use imagination to create a story world full of ideas you want your young children to imitate

the Nicholl isn’t rewarding imagination, the difference is west side story earning back a $100 million budget plus the first $50 million upfront for Spielberg vs Rowling earning a billion dollars from Harry Potter stories
                            Last edited by VoltarReturns; 12-13-2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Since the fellowships were awarded over a month ago now, can we just lock this thread from any more racist trolling posts?

Comment

• But he’s returned!

Comment

Working...
                                X