Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gregbeal View Post

Can't tell you what it's like now, but during my years the selection of Nicholl Fellows was almost exclusively based on the screenplays. The letter was intended to help committee members get to know the writers a little bit. The letters often gave committee member presenters something to mention in their introductory remarks during the awards ceremony.

The materials also helped the PR staff as they reached out to hometown newspapers, colleges, etc. to publicize the new fellows.
    Thank you, that's really helpful. I do have a fairly interesting backstory regarding my submission, but I'd prefer the work to speak for itself. Cheers.

Comment

Armored was still eligible when fellows were selected.

As long as a writer - or his reps - hasn't been paid over the earnings limit, that writer remains eligible in the Nicholl competition. It's possible for a feature or pilot script to sell during the competition and the writer remain eligible throughout. It just depends on the time taken by negotiations and then by business affairs actually cutting a check. Not unusual for months to pass between a sale and a check being received.
      Hey Greg,
      Just out of curiosity - and feel free to tell me to piss off since you don't work there anymore - but how would the Nicholl know when the writer's reps get a check? I'm asking because when I've gotten paid in the past I never know when my reps actually receive the check. Only when it gets to me. Occasionally an assistant will call to confirm my address, but that could be days or weeks after they receive it. In fact I'd be willing to bet most writers at big agencies/management firms don't get notice when their reps get a check for them. Can you elucidate what due diligence is done by the Nicholl folks on the backend to prove eligibility in that way? Or is it all the honors system?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

P.S. shocked by my own use of the word "elucidate".
      Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

• Originally posted by asteven50 View Post

Hey Greg,
        Just out of curiosity - and feel free to tell me to piss off since you don't work there anymore - but how would the Nicholl know when the writer's reps get a check? I'm asking because when I've gotten paid in the past I never know when my reps actually receive the check. Only when it gets to me. Occasionally an assistant will call to confirm my address, but that could be days or weeks after they receive it. In fact I'd be willing to bet most writers at big agencies/management firms don't get notice when their reps get a check for them. Can you elucidate what due diligence is done by the Nicholl folks on the backend to prove eligibility in that way? Or is it all the honors system?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
        Honor system while I was there.

I have a dim memory of a writer or, more likely, a rep asking if the agency could hold the check until the competition ended. "No" was our answer. Payment made by the production company/studio is what counts.

I'm not positive about this but for WGA sales I suspect one could contact the Guild and ask about check dates. Never did this though. Given the network of Academy members throughout the industry and connections of Nicholl Committee members, I suspect the details of nearly any sale could be tracked, if it came to that.

Over the years, a number of writers have withdrawn from the competition as finalists, semifinalists and quarterfinalists.

Comment

Over the years, a number of writers have withdrawn from the competition as finalists, semifinalists and quarterfinalists.
          Now, there's a bridge I'd be willing to cross when the opportunity arises.
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-25-2021, 06:57 PM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

• great problem to have

Comment

Honor system while I was there.

I have a dim memory of a writer or, more likely, a rep asking if the agency could hold the check until the competition ended. "No" was our answer. Payment made by the production company/studio is what counts.

I'm not positive about this but for WGA sales I suspect one could contact the Guild and ask about check dates. Never did this though. Given the network of Academy members throughout the industry and connections of Nicholl Committee members, I suspect the details of nearly any sale could be tracked, if it came to that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response, Greg. Much appreciated!
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

• My buddy (a poster here sometimes) just made the Semis / Top 150. Very happy for him.

Comment

• Very cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    My buddy (a poster here sometimes) just made the Semis / Top 150. Very happy for him.
                    Well, don't just leave us hanging in suspense! What genre and what was the logline about? What type of story?
                    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

• Real tough competition this year, I've got a feeling there's some excellent scripts kicking around; so, I'm extremely grateful that my war-drama reached the SFs and is one step closer to the golden gates of Nicholl final-dom--

From the Shadows to the Sun: Five years after she escaped ISIS, a fearsome soldier from an all-female unit searches the collapsing caliphate for the sister she left behind.

https://twitter.com/AzadiJack/status...01163971948544
                      Last edited by Jackanory; 09-06-2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackanory View Post
                        Real tough competition this year, I've got a feeling there's some excellent scripts kicking around; so, I'm extremely grateful that my war-drama reached the SFs and is one step closer to the golden gates of Nicholl final-dom--

From the Shadows to the Sun: Five years after she escaped ISIS, a fearsome soldier from an all-female unit searches the collapsing caliphate for the sister she left behind.

Awesome congrats. Is the 150 names online yet for all to see? I don't see it on Nicholl site? I'm not on twitter anymore so maybe it's on there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bono View Post

Awesome congrats. Is the 150 names online yet for all to see? I don't see it on Nicholl site? I'm not on twitter anymore so maybe it's on there.
                          thanks! if you look on the academy gold facebook page or instagram and click on the gold circle the story page opens up and the list is there, although I think it's temporary.

Comment

• Yeah it seems gone now... so weird. I assume they will make it easy and just post it all over the place so winners get their due? I never made it this far so I never checked. And well I still haven't made it of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackanory View Post
                              Real tough competition this year, I've got a feeling there's some excellent scripts kicking around; so, I'm extremely grateful that my war-drama reached the SFs and is one step closer to the golden gates of Nicholl final-dom--

Semi-finalist! Nice! Congrats, Jack.

Comment

• Originally posted by figment View Post

Semi-finalist! Nice! Congrats, Jack.
                                Thank you! 15/1 shot of getting a final placement, but I'm just happy some academy folk are getting eyes on it

Comment

Working...
                                X