Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer's Retreat

For those that may have no idea, these are some of the things screenwriter's are offered on these NEW sites offering access. It's SOLD OUT so I feel less guilty about bringing attention to it.

Honestly, I think the writer's retreat itself should be a movie. But in real life, it sounds like a vacation with a few hours of pitch time.

It's like they said like's do Couple's Retreat in real life, but with writers. I hope someone posts about it as I can't wait to find out how it went.

https://www.roadmapwriters.com/produ...retreat-mexico

There have been some previous threads & posts about this. Here is one example: https://messageboard.donedealpro.com...oadmap-writers
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

What's funny about this to me is that I have no recollection of this company or going after them like I did in the link Will posted. Ha!! Also, I always sound like a massive bitch in every post. Which is funny because I'm nice in person. And I miss UpandComing, I wonder where she went? Hope she's doing well.

It does sound like Couple's Retreat, but with screenwriters.

Comment

We all sound mean at some point in this place. I was thinking how the real me is not reflected well on this board at all. We should not judge each other’s true self based on the trappings of a message board. I’m more playing some version of myself. Hence the fake names for most. Because it’s not me it’s Bono.

Most of you would still hate me in real life but for different reasons.

Most of my writer friends are people that not only have never met I don’t even know what they look like. Age. Voice. So many factors. Like I assume Jeff talks like a muppet. And bio professor wears glasses. And SC I feel she wears a hat or a scarf at all times. And Clint is chain smoking as he posts.

When is the done deal retreat? Let’s all meet in Rome or Applebees.

Comment

Interesting that they don't give the name of the resort. Overall, those price points for different size rooms seem about $1,000 higher than rates at an all inclusive in Mexico.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I put the images into Tineye and found the name of the resort -- Villa Mercedes Petit Hotel. According to Tripadvisor, it sounds like a budget-ish hotel in the main part of PV.

They're charging $4500 a week for 7 nights in a "penthouse" room, which you can get for $1300 the next week through the hotel. So the charge for the retreat is around $3000 a week per participant, removing the lodging portion. That's a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
              I put the images into Tineye and found the name of the resort -- Villa Mercedes Petit Hotel. According to Tripadvisor, it sounds like a budget-ish hotel in the main part of PV.

They're charging $4500 a week for 7 nights in a "penthouse" room, which you can get for $1300 the next week through the hotel. So the charge for the retreat is around $3000 a week per participant, removing the lodging portion. That's a lot.
              Good detective work! I was going on rates for the smallest room at major all-inclusive resorts. $3000 mark-up on the penthouse for the joy of sipping margaritas with a couple of industry guys? I wonder how many went for it?
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Forgot the cost, I'm just fascinated by this opportunity. I'm trying to imagine how much people would pay if it was like go on vacation with Kayne West and learn how to make music for like 100K per person at a Hilton in Hawaii.

Comment

Kanye West... Sean Robbins...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

Honestly, I think the writer's retreat itself should be a movie.

https://www.roadmapwriters.com/produ...retreat-mexico
                    There's actually a book that sold not too long ago about someone attending a writers' retreat! It's a crime thriller, so things start to go horribly wrong. It may even be called WRITERS RETREAT but I can't remember.

Comment

oops
                      Last edited by finalact4; 03-27-2022, 03:01 PM.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Page Craft has a couple in Italy. I've wanted to take one of those. You work on writing the entire trip while eating and drinking all that is Italian.

This year it's Orvieto and Chianti, Italy.

https://pagecraftwriting.com/italy-top/
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                          Page Craft has a couple in Italy. I've wanted to take one of those. You work on writing the entire trip while eating and drinking all that is Italian.

This year it's Orvieto and Chianti, Italy.

https://pagecraftwriting.com/italy-top/
                          I don't know how useful the actual coaching would be, but I can see the appeal of getting away and spending a few days in a structured environment and gorgeous setting. When you add up airfare and meals, it's pretty pricey though.

I've always thought it would be fun just to get some like-minded, creative, travel loving people together and rent out an AirBnB somewhere. Explore, observe and create during the day, gather for food and conversation at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

There's actually a book that sold not too long ago about someone attending a writers' retreat! It's a crime thriller, so things start to go horribly wrong. It may even be called WRITERS RETREAT but I can't remember.
                            I want to find this one, I'd read it.

I just finished reading an Anthony Horowitz novel called A Line to Kill that is set at a writer's festival. It was a fun book, if you like that writer -- he's a Brit.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post

I want to find this one, I'd read it.

I just finished reading an Anthony Horowitz novel called A Line to Kill that is set at a writer's festival. It was a fun book, if you like that writer -- he's a Brit.
                              (from Publishers Marketplace) - I thought this was a great hook / high concept idea. "At auction..." the words every novelist longs to hear.

Julia Bartz's THE WRITING RETREAT, in which a disillusioned writer wins a spot in the writing retreat of her favorite author—the high priestess of feminist horror—at her remote estate, but when one of the attendees goes missing, it becomes clear that the retreat may have a darker purpose, to Emily Bestler at Emily Bestler Books, in a good deal, at auction, in a two-book deal, for publication in spring 2023, by Alexandra Machinist at ICM (NA).

Comment

Working...
                              X