Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

(from Publishers Marketplace) - I thought this was a great hook / high concept idea. "At auction..." the words every novelist longs to hear.

Julia Bartz's THE WRITING RETREAT, in which a disillusioned writer wins a spot in the writing retreat of her favorite author—the high priestess of feminist horror—at her remote estate, but when one of the attendees goes missing, it becomes clear that the retreat may have a darker purpose, to Emily Bestler at Emily Bestler Books, in a good deal, at auction, in a two-book deal, for publication in spring 2023, by Alexandra Machinist at ICM (NA).
    Thank you, Rantanplan! I will be watching for it, it's the type of book I would try to write -- it'll be interesting to see where she takes it.

I had this movie/novel idea that I brainstormed for a while but it never took off enough for me to write a draft. I was calling it Mystery Writers of America. Five top-notch mystery writers host a yearly writing retreat for themselves and one morning, one is found dead -- murdered. It's a remote location, and they're stuck there for a while before law enforcement comes. Each writer is trying to figure out which other writer did it, and they all use clues from the own books. I saw it as The Shining meets Clue. It was going to be a comedy. Mystery/comedy. The fun part for me would be writing blurbs about their (not always great) mystery books that they comically use as references.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post

Thank you, Rantanplan! I will be watching for it, it's the type of book I would try to write -- it'll be interesting to see where she takes it.

I had this movie/novel idea that I brainstormed for a while but it never took off enough for me to write a draft. I was calling it Mystery Writers of America. Five top-notch mystery writers host a yearly writing retreat for themselves and one morning, one is found dead -- murdered. It's a remote location, and they're stuck there for a while before law enforcement comes. Each writer is trying to figure out which other writer did it, and they all use clues from the own books. I saw it as The Shining meets Clue. It was going to be a comedy. Mystery/comedy. The fun part for me would be writing blurbs about their (not always great) mystery books that they comically use as references.
      Sounds like fun! Mystery Writers of America is actually the leading national organization for crime writers

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post

Sounds like fun! Mystery Writers of America is actually the leading national organization for crime writers
        Thanks! I will change the name of the association, if I ever do anything with it.

The Horowitz comedy/mystery set at the writers festival was a lot of fun -- the novel I just finished.

Comment

THE WRITERS RETREAT. Sounds like another WGA strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            Most of you would still hate me in real life but for different reasons.
            What? You a hit man or somethin'?

And Clint is chain smoking as he posts.
            Nope.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Most of you would still hate me in real life but for different reasons.
              Why's that?

And Clint is chain smoking as he posts.
              Nope. No way!
              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Working...
              X