X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl 2024

Nicholl now opened for entries.
    https://www.oscars.org/nicholl

Per Bono's previous post -- you can submit only ONE screenplay and they stop accepting entries when the reach 5,500 -- so get in early.

Early entry is 50 dollars; and extra 45 if you want to purchase comments.

Good luck! 🍀​

For the record, I know too many "winners" of this contest that lead to little real life success. So it's not something I have thought of entering in over 10 years... because I'd be in the same position, win or lose. For writers like me, who have had some success in the business, I think this is not for you.

And from what I heard -- the comments for 45 bucks aren't worth it.

95 bucks to be told your spec is not one of the best out of the 5500 seems better spent on a nice lunch or two.

I made it to Top 10% one year, writing a spec geared toward the contest (Little Miss Sunshine esque)... and it felt good, but no one cared about that when I told them. They only cared what the logline was and the quality of the spec.

And I find personally most top specs at Nicholl don't jive with what sells in Hollywood.

I know there are success stories... but there's people on here who used to post newbie questions and now are pro writers. So if a group of screeenwriters are in one place, someone will rise to the top and make it out...

What do you guys think?

Comments worth it?

Best you did in this contest?

We need something to fight about. And yes if you enter, I'm cheering for you to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      For the record, I know too many "winners" of this contest that lead to little real life success. So it's not something I have thought of entering in over 10 years... because I'd be in the same position, win or lose. For writers like me, who have had some success in the business, I think this is not for you.

95 bucks to be told your spec is not one of the best out of the 5500 seems better spent on a nice lunch or two.

I made it to Top 10% one year, writing a spec geared toward the contest (Little Miss Sunshine esque)... and it felt good, but no one cared about that when I told them. They only cared what the logline was and the quality of the spec.

And I find personally most top specs at Nicholl don't jive with what sells in Hollywood.

I know there are success stories... but there's people on here who used to post newbie questions and now are pro writers. So if a group of screeenwriters are in one place, someone will rise to the top and make it out...

What do you guys think?

Comments worth it?

Best you did in this contest?

We need something to fight about. And yes if you enter, I'm cheering for you to win.

First of all, where the heck are you eating for 95 dollars?!!!

I've gotten to the quarters 4 times with different scripts. At first, since I was so green, that was VERY helpful, to know that you did something that even read like a script should.

The notes largely suck -- except when they don't. One set of notes I got just "got" my script so well, I printed them out and STILL read them once in a while for inspiration, just to know that someone actually got what I was attempting to do, and really liked it. That script also had an 8 on the BL. Still one of my favorite scripts. Screenwriting is lonely -- it's nice if you know someone else gets what you're doing. Yes? I don't know, I just found that to be really helpful to me personally -- like someone else thought that script mattered.

OFCOURSE Nicholl scripts don't sell to Hollywood, because HELLO-- nothing does!! BUT it could lead to a rep. Yes? And are you going to hate that rep? Probably.

Comment

I said TWO meals! But in east coast can easily spend 95 bucks by myself...

Comment

I would not look to a contest for notes. There are plenty of people whose primary job is giving notes, go to them.

I'll repeat my mantra about all contests, scores, placements, ratings etc. - Success is getting your logline exposed, after that it's about the logline. If reps or execs read based on placement alone, they would be committing to reading 250 scripts every Oct/Nov if we are talking quarterfinalist and above. Most take a quick look at the 250 loglines and might pick a few whose loglines stand out.

Nicholl has worked out great for a lot of people, and not great for more - just like any avenue in to the business.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

First of all, where the heck are you eating for 95 dollars?!!!

I've gotten to the quarters 4 times with different scripts. At first, since I was so green, that was VERY helpful, to know that you did something that even read like a script should.

The notes largely suck -- except when they don't. One set of notes I got just "got" my script so well, I printed them out and STILL read them once in a while for inspiration, just to know that someone actually got what I was attempting to do, and really liked it. That script also had an 8 on the BL. Still one of my favorite scripts. Screenwriting is lonely -- it's nice if you know someone else gets what you're doing. Yes? I don't know, I just found that to be really helpful to me personally -- like someone else thought that script mattered.

OFCOURSE Nicholl scripts don't sell to Hollywood, because HELLO-- nothing does!! BUT it could lead to a rep. Yes? And are you going to hate that rep? Probably.
            So did the blacklist 8 lead to anything? Any downloads? Have you queried that spec?

Comment

So did the blacklist 8 lead to anything? Any downloads? Have you queried that spec?
              It was multiple years ago— got downloaded, yes. But it’s the BL, so YOU don’t know who is downloading. Queried, yes. No one cares, Bono. Such is life.

Comment

It was multiple years ago— got downloaded, yes. But it’s the BL, so YOU don’t know who is downloading. Queried, yes. No one cares, Bono. Such is life.
                Oh I didn't realize you have zero idea who downloads it... that's depressing. But query something in 2024, why the hell not?

Comment

But query something in 2024, why the hell not?
                  Certainly. Still tinkering with the pilot — do people query pilots? With no tv experience? It seems like a dead end? Count that as things I didn’t bother to ask myself before writing said pilot. Hmm …

Comment

Yes, people query pilots, same as how they query features. Experience does not matter at this stage, if it sells they will pair you up with an experienced EP. It's also a staffing sample.

Comment

The furthest I ever got on the Nicholl was the quarter finals. It was my least commercial script, a total art house type flick that wasn't even 70 pages. But it got me reads and almost got me a manager. Mentioning Nicholl in the subject heading will definitely open some doors, in my opinion, so I think it's worth a shot, especially if you also have some solid commercial scripts for the "what else you got?" question. There are people who will respond to your writing along the way and be open to seeing other scripts—people who are sincerely hoping one of them will be the right fit for them.

I think if nothing else, entering the Nicholl and getting up to at least into the percentages, can be a confidence boost. Like Figment said, it's a lonely aspiration. Knowing that someone really connected with your script is always cool. Encouragement like that keeps us going and nurtures our hope that we're not total hacks.

Comment

Certainly. Still tinkering with the pilot — do people query pilots? With no tv experience? It seems like a dead end? Count that as things I didn’t bother to ask myself before writing said pilot. Hmm …
                        Of course! Right now it's just a great writing sample --- so don't worry about having to be a showrunner next week. That will be a good problem to have!

But if you take your concept, mention real life inspiration and it's a timely idea that many can relate too that I haven't seen on TV myself as main focus -- I think many people will read it. As most of us will have to go through something similar one day...

Comment

It's just the first hour of Day 3 and already 790 (maximum 5500) applications received.

Comment

Originally posted by HRCLPRT View Post
                            It's just the first hour of Day 3 and already 790 (maximum 5500) applications received.
                            It's a good marketing gimmick. Create a sense of urgency and you could miss out if you don't enter...

Comment

I'm not going to enter. I used to just think of it as buying a lottery ticket, but we have the actual lottery for that, and it's cheaper.

I have reached the Quarters in the past, but that was many moons ago. Good luck to all who do enter.

Comment

Working...
                              X