Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptwriters Showcase in April?

First weekend in April, Los Angeles, different than the Expo - it seems to be panels of pro writers that you've heard of (instead of guys hawking classes) - kind of like the WGA's WORDS INTO PICTURES used to be. Anyone else going?

http://www.scriptwritersshowcase.com/

- Bill

PS: Anybody go (besides me and Robert Downy jr)?
    Last edited by wcmartell; 04-10-2006, 03:20 PM.
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Re: Scriptwriters Showcase in April?

Sounds like Script Magazine's version of the Expo complete with pitch sessions.

Comment

Script Magazine has recruited the pitchees at the pitch sessions since the first Expo. So they're gonna do it at the Showcase, too.

Personally, I think the pitching thing is a waste of time - but it does draw in people. Everyone thinks if they could just pitch their story to someone in power in Hollywood they'll sell their script and be millionaires. Problem is - most of the scripts being pitched aren't all that interesting - and the ones that are interesting are interesting for the wrong reasons (ask CE about the woman with the dead husband video at the Las Vegas Conference a few years back). The panels (and information from panelists) should be the real draw... but many folks don't care. They think their story is brilliant already.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:

Comment

I'm going to be there too.

Why do agents, managers, prodcos come to these things? Do they honestly hope to find a great script? Or are they paid to be there or have a relationship (friendship, etc.) with the sponsor - or want/need something from them?

Comment

Honestly ReoA, they are paid. That's why we pay $99 to pitch or whatever amount it is.
          Things happen twice. The first is in your mind.

Comment

I've never seen pitches that cost that much. Honestly, for $99.00, I'd take someone to lunch. I wonder who's going to spend the most money on pitching. At $99.00 a pop, I'm guessing some newbie will go in for a grand.

Suz

Comment

I can't speak for all events. However, these big "pitchmarts," generally, do NOT pay the people who come to hear pitches.

CE, you may be right about these big pitchfests like the Writers Showcase and the Expo, but I do know of pitchfests (even some online) where the exec gets money for every pitch he hears. That's the company's way of getting industry people to come to the pitchfests (because most know they're a waste of everyone's time) which in turn gives the writer more choices and people to pitch and in the end makes the company more money. It's all relative.

I may pitch to a couple of these execs (actually, according to Done Deal Pro, most have not had a sale). But I'm still in need of some personal satisfaction anyway.

Comment

I want to state, perhaps more clearly, that the fee being charged in this case is EXCEPTIONALLY high. Think about it, $99.00 for a 15 minute pitch.

If you're confident in your abilities and your product, then you'd be better off calling assistants to reps and execs, telling them you're flying in from Montana and you'd like to buy them lunch, drinks or dinner. Seriously, it'd be cheaper and you'd get a whole lot more face time.

Suz

Comment

Suzbays, that's an excellent idea. Thanks for the suggestion! Let me see what I can do. CE, I feel I would overstep my boundaries if I was to publicly post the companies that pay their execs for pitches. I will however send you a PM if you're interested. Or, and better yet, how about I buy you lunch while I'm down in LA and we can talk about these pitchfests and I can tell you about some great projects I'm working on. One of these, I'm currently producing, has Jeremy Sumpter (Universal's "Peter Pan") already attached. The project is out to other actors, financing and distribution companies. The other is a fresh teen comedy script that is getting a lot of positive attention and it just went out.

Let me know!

Comment

I'm a cheap date too. Let me know when you're in town.
                    That's good, because I'm poor!

I'll be in town April 6-11th. Send me a private message and we can set things up.

Comment

Woo-hoo! I was useful today. Now if I'll just follow my own advice...

Good luck, Butte!

Suz

Comment

Anybody go (besides me and Robert Downey, jr)?

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:

Comment

Well, hell, if I'd known RDJ was going to be there with you, Bill, I'd have flown back from Texas earlier. How was it?

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell
                            Anybody go (besides me and Robert Downey, jr)?

- Bill
                            I went to take pitches. I also checked out the thing with the Masters of Horror guys, and really enjoyed it, despite the light turnout.

I've heard you say that it's a waste of time for people to go to these pitch things, and I have to say, I disagree with you. Of course, you're right that it's a waste of time for the majority, because the quality of writers and pitches is pathetic. However, if someone has written a good script and they can do even a halfway reasonable job of pitching it, people will be fighting to read it. I've heard people denigrate the folks that go as Assistants and Assistants to Assistants. Sure, some of the folks there don't have good contacts but guess what, many of them do. And you know what? These people need a great piece of material to propel them up the ladder. So it doesn't matter that you're pitching to an assistant at a boutique agency or a small production company. These people will turn into rabid dogs if you have something good that can get them promoted.

So, I would say that, if you have a good script and a decent pitch, it's ABSOLUTELY worth your time as you will be a diamond in a pile of turds.

And, btw, I also think it's too much money.

And, yes, I was paid the massive sum of a hundred dollars to give up most of my weekend to meet with a bunch of nutjobs. What a great deal for me!

Comment

For the record, I didn't say it was a waste of time. I just think the cost v. benefit ratio was too high. The same high quality script/good pitcher combo would be better served calling up assistants, etc. and offering to buy them food or drinks. I'm all for working with the people who will soon be in power.

I'm sorry your monetary compensation wasn't great. Hopefully, you discovered the diamonds.

Susan

Comment

Working...
                              X