Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reminder- Austin Film Festival- 2 weeks until early deadline

I cannot imagine that they would not credit you for two scripts as long as you sent them the correct total. They are just going to get the scripts, see if you have paid, and match the script info with a check, a credit card, or money order. Or something like that.

Meanwhile, I am sitting at this computer several hours a day, working to get my own entry ready by the late deadline. Will I make it? Yes, I am 99 percent sure I will.

Of course, the result may reek!!!

But at least I will have finished it.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Help! Question about Submitting

Hey, guys, I know some of you have been through this before.

I have a question. The rules say to submit the script between cardstock covers with ONLY the title on the front cardstock cover. I understand that this is to keep everything anonymous. No problem.

But then the rules say:

A second title page should be included with all contact information (TITLE,
      AUTHOR, AUTHOR'S ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS, and a
      TWO TO THREE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS). Author's name must not appear elsewhere in script due to anonymity in judging process.

That is just a standard title page, usually bound in the script. Here is my question: Where do you put that second title page? Is it bound in the script in the usual fashion (to be removed later by someone), OR is it submitted loose, sort of like a cover letter would be?

Help! They ought to make things like this clear.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

When I've entered in the past, I included the "contact info title page" separately, like a cover letter (as you said). They seemed fine with that. Probably best not to include it inside the cover, or they'll either have to tear it out, or undo the whole thing to get at it. Scripts are often not photocopied in the early rounds of contests, so the disassembly would be extra work for them at the outset.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks, Cyberian!

That is pretty much what I thought, too. I will do it that way.

Comment

We prefer you keep the title sheet with all of the writer contact info separate. If it is already bound within the script- we will simply remove it. This sheet stays with the application in our files.

Hope this clears it up.

Comment

Thanks, scripts!

Comment

Well, I mailed my script today, postmarked clearly with June 1, the deadline.

Did anybody else enter?

At the current time I do not want to say which category I entered or say anything about the script, because I think the anonymity of the entries should be kept as pristine as possible. But maybe I will say more when, at some stage of the elimination process, I learn that I have not made the cut.

It was really a last-minute dash getting the script together, but I can honestly say that it has some very good writing, along with (alas!) too many places that made me cringe when I was reading the script straight through in its entirety yesterday. It was the best that I could do, having started late and having had a big hole blown in my work schedule by a hellacious on-call weekend at the hospital last weekend.

I did some thinking and sketching back in April, but for all practical purposes I wrote the script in about a month. I was still making revisions last night and even wrote one very short scene this morning. It is basically only a polished first draft ... but not too bad.

I can testify to you that it was an exhilarating feeling two nights ago around 1:30 in the morning when I wrote FADE OUT. It was made even better because the story was truly growing legs day by day, and right at the end I had a couple of flashes of inspiration about how to handle some things. It just all came out of the blue as I was writing.

Anyway, good luck to anyone else who entered.
                Last edited by ComicBent; 06-03-2006, 07:14 AM.

Comment

best of luck comic.

Comment

I entered a comedy script. I never thought I could write comedy and this year I wrote two comedy scripts. Let's see if I place for a change. With my other scripts I've always been dinked. Not even an encouraging note to my credit.

Comment

Well, good luck to you, Grace.

And thanks, Qaz, for wishing me well.

This is the only contest that I have ever entered. As I have said many times on the board, I am not trying to be a professional. However, I have really come to enjoy this form of writing and have learned a heck of a lot in the last several years.

A number of principles kept popping up as proof positive of the things that we have talked about on this board:
                      1. Get into the scene late; get out early. In other words, get rid of all the extraneous stuff.
                      2. Less is more, as Charli always says. People can usually fill in the blanks when they read or watch the script/film.
                      3. Scene-to-scene transition. Wow, that is an art. I kept shifting scenes around, and adding little scenes, to provide a smooth transition everywhere that I could. It was one of the most challenging aspects of the project.
                      4. Every scene should be important. That is so obvious that it sounds stupid even to mention it; but it is very tempting to include a scene just because it has something interesting or funny but really does not advance the story or add essential information. Do not succumb to the temptation.
                      5. Be willing to change the story or the characters if doing so will improve things. I made several "discoveries" as I went along, and I changed the story a little.
                      Anyhow ...

Comment

Good luck, Comic. Way to go!

Corona
                        I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                        I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

entered two scripts in the teleplay portion of the contest.

(EDITED by Moderator to remove titles of scripts. Maybe it would be better not to give the titles of your entries, since we never know who might read this board and connect your name with the script. It is all supposed to be anonymous.)
                          Last edited by ComicBent; 06-02-2006, 03:11 PM.
                          --MIKE

http://www.myspace.com/mmd6161

Comment

I entered a comedy I wrote over the past year in my screenwriting classes. Not that I think it's great, but I figured for 50 bucks what the hell.

Funny thing, though. Like everyone else, I always imagined what it'd be like to see my movie on the big screen. When I went to see The Break Up this afternoon with my wife, I got a chance to see what the trailer for my film would be like--pretty much just like the trailer for Owen Wilson's upcoming comedy You, Me & Dupree. I had no idea such a similar movie was in the works!

Ugh. Guess that's what I get for not paying attention to recent sales and productions.

Good luck to everyone who entered!

[edit for typos]

Comment

I entered a comedy, and also found this part of the rules a bit confusing:

"A second title page should be included with all contact information (TITLE,
                              AUTHOR, AUTHOR'S ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS, and a
                              TWO TO THREE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS). Author's name must not appear elsewhere in script due to anonymity in judging process."

Not only was this info posted in the format section for the screenplay itself...but the line, "...Author's name must not appear ELSEWHERE in the script due to anonymity in judging process," made me believe the contact info should be bound within the sceenplay, as a 2nd title page. Maybe the word "elsewhere" should be replaced with "anywhere" in the rules section in the future, for additional clarification purposes.

Comment

Scriptwriter, the issue that you raise is legitimate. It was unclear. I posted a question earlier in this thread to *scripts*, who clarified the issue in the thread and in a private communication to me.

Essentially they wanted to have the traditional title page (with all the author info, as usual) included like a cover letter, not bound in the script. However, if you did include it within the script, they would still accept the script; they would just remove the author-info page.

Comment

Working...
                                X