Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Freeman's "Beyond Structure" Screenwriting and Fiction Workshop

Anyone ever been to his workshop? Any feedback?

This is his website: www.beyondstructure.com
    Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
    Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Re: David Freeman's "Beyond Structure" Screenwriting and Fiction Workshop

David Freeman has a skill for deconstructing excellent screenwriting and pinpointing the writing techniques used. When he sees a movie that has emotional resonance, satisfying dialog, etc. he studies the script till he figures out how the screenwriter accomplished that.

The things we usually consider a particular screenwriter's "gifts" -- for character, for suspense, for drama, for dialog, etc, Freeman breaks down into specific, teachable techniques. He's been doing this for years, and he has compiled quite a list of specific writing-strengthening techniques

Any good writer will be using some of these techniques instinctively, but no one writer would be using all of them, so you're bound to pick up some new tools for your toolbox.

Comment

I second what Joan has said.

I took David's seminar. I recommend it. 100%. Big Bang for the bucks. You will be amazed at the way David presents his material and how well you may be able to incorporate it into your writing.

I hestitate to recommend this course if one is just starting out - never written a screemnplay type starting out - the amount and quality of the material presented would not be so easily absorbed. But it still would be valuable and still be worth the money.

I will probably wait a few years but will not hesitate to take the seminar again.

Comment

Jesus, $400 is kind of steep, no?
        Does he have a book version I can read?
        Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

He has a book called Creating Emotion in Games: the Craft and Art of Emotioneering. I don't know how much crossover there is between that and his screenwriting techniques -- I haven't read it.

But Hassan, you're in LA. He speaks at least once a year at a Scriptwriters' Network meeting and at the Screenwriting Expo. It's not his whole course, but in both cases, you get some of it for a bargain price.

Comment

I was once waiting in line at a copy store. There was a guy whose face looked familiar but I couldn't quite place it.

Anyway, he was getting his scripts collated. And then I recognized the name on the title page.

David Freeman.

I was gonna say "Hey, you run that seminar, don't ya?" until I saw the title of the script.

BEVERLY HILLS 9021-BRO

I am not kidding.

Comment

It's a funny title!!! Is this the same David Freeman who wrote "the Border"? IMDB bio says it is but they screw it up all the time. Freeman's website bio doesn't mention any produced scripts and the Freeman who wrote "The Border" doesn't use the "S" for a middle initial. If it's not the same guy, it's kinda funny that he's writing screenplays using his own techniques but hasn't had much success. Even if it's the same guy who wrote "the Border"...he hasn't had a produced movie in 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley
                He has a book called Creating Emotion in Games: the Craft and Art of Emotioneering. I don't know how much crossover there is between that and his screenwriting techniques -- I haven't read it.

But Hassan, you're in LA. He speaks at least once a year at a Scriptwriters' Network meeting and at the Screenwriting Expo. It's not his whole course, but in both cases, you get some of it for a bargain price.
                I've heard nothing but good things about David from pros and tyros.
                I've just never had a spare $400 to take his seminar.
                The expo is a good idea though.
                Faster would be better! ~ Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by Hassan_Chop View Post
                  I've heard nothing but good things about David from pros and tyros.
                  I've just never had a spare $400 to take his seminar.
                  The expo is a good idea though.
                  I just took the two day beyond structure workshop and it was outstanding. I have read all the screenwriter books and I still learned a lot. It really helped my approach to character development.

Comment

That. Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                    X