Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC/Disney Fellowship - Genres

For you past finalists for the ABC/Disney Fellowship program or for any one in the know, can you tell me what genres of features have gotten people placed in the fellowship? I have a fantasy but wonder if that is the way to go...
    www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Re: ABC/Disney Fellowship - Genres

Go with your heart and passion. That's what will show up in your story. I believe
    also that Disney accepts genres all over the map. Don't however get hung
    up on what you think people want, the story will come out stale.

Charli

Comment

When is deadline?
      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000
        For you past finalists... what genres of features have gotten people placed in the fellowship?
        I was a finalist with a decidedly non-"Disney" drama.

At my interview, I was told they are looking for top-quality writers of every genre.
        ==========

Comment

I was a finalist with an historical drama, very un-Disneylike, and still got the trip to LA. They just want it to be well-written.

On the other hand, I interviewed two slots ahead of Cindy McCreery, who ended up winning a Fellowship that year. Both the script she submitted for the contest and the one she wrote during her Fellowship year (both of which she later sold) were both what would be considered very Disneylike. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but just throwing it out there.

Personally, I think it's better that you write a script you have a passion about rather than trying to fit into someone else's genre. Also, through Miramax, Touchstone and Pixar, Disney deals with a lot of genres, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

For those who've interviewed with the Disney folks, I'm curious to know what types of questions they asked. Also, anyone have an idea of the number of writer interviewed vs. how many are accepted?

bpm

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like you all are saying the same thing - Disney is looking for scripts that are written well - period. I have a romantic comedy that I think may be better written than my fantasy so I'm thinking about submitting it instead. I didn't want to before because comedies seem to get a bad wrap - but if Disney is only looking for well written scripts maybe I'll have a chance.

Thanks again!
              www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Originally posted by bpmwriter
                For those who've interviewed with the Disney folks, I'm curious to know what types of questions they asked. Also, anyone have an idea of the number of writer interviewed vs. how many are accepted?

bpm
                BPM,
                Questions can range from anything to anything. Usually, they involve your background, what you hope to achieve, movie influences, etc. When you interview, you go into a room with a dozen people firing off questions at the same time, so it's a bit disorienting.

When I interviewed, there were 12 people brought in on the film side (two of whom were a writing team) and five were selected. There were nearly 2,200 entries that year, of which about 40 got phone interviews as semifinalists, which led to the dozen finalists.

Comment

Good feedback.

Any other threads on here that deal specifically with the Disney Fellowship program??

Comment

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ney+fellowship

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ney+fellowship

You can do a search and enter "Disney Fellowship" for the rest. But these two threads contained detailed posts from prior entrants.
                    Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I couldn't decide between an adventure/action script and a 125 page comedy, until I read this little nugget on the Disney site:
                      Writing samples longer than 120 pages will not be read.

And I really wanted to enter that comedy.

PC

Comment

HTML Code:
                        When is deadline?
                        I believe it's this Friday, the 23rd.
                        "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

They are not kidding about that 120 page rule, either. I once entered a 121 page script, figuring no one would quibble over one partial page. The script was returned unread. The program has a long checksheet on which they can tick all their many reasons for disqualifying your entry. "Exceeded 120 pages" was checked off.

The second time I entered, I brought my entry to Mailboxes Etc on the day of the postmark deadline (a Saturday, that year). The reason I brought it to Mailboxes Etc was because they had a notary on staff. Seemed convenient. I got a receipt, and I emphasized the necessity of postmarking it for that day -- so they did it in front of me.

I never heard from the Disney Fellowship until December, when they returned my script unread. This time they had checked off "Improper postmark." They cut out the evidence and included it in their envelope. There were two postmarks on the envelope: one for Saturday, and a second postmark with Monday's date, when (presumably), someone brought the weekend pile from Mailboxes Etc to the post office. Had they contacted me about the postmark, I could have showed them my receipt. Oh well.

So... I have never actually managed to enter the Disney Fellowship program. I include these anecdotes to emphasize how careful you must be in following every tiny detail of their rules, no matter how anal.

Good luck, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile
                            I once entered a 121 page script...The script was returned unread.
                            Hmmm. Was this recently? I was a finalist w/a 123 page script in 2002. Maybe they've tightened their standards since then.
                            ==========

Comment

I'm curious about the bios...they shouldn't be all that long, right? (I hope)

Comment

Working...
                              X