Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expo 2006

Is anyone going this year? And anyone investing in the Golden Pass? What about the pitch sessions--anyone hear any success stories? Having had pitch meetings in the past, it seems kind of like backtracking to pay to pitch, but there are some companies that are very tempting? But do the companies really take pitches from these events seriously, or send interns?

Sorry a zillion questions, but I wanna make the most of this trip....
    SC

Re: Expo 2006

I went a couple years ago and got a lot of it. There's such a wide range of conference sessions that you're certain to come away from the Expo with some good ideas. Plus, it's pretty cheap for what you get. I didn't do the pitch sessions but think I will this year. I looked at my attendance at the expo as part of my screenwriting education. In that sense, it was excellent.

Comment

It's the same weekend as Austin...Wuz up with that?

Comment

It's also on the same week as the Pusan International Film Festival. What's up with that????

Comment

I went last year, pitched to a few. Some showed interest. Donners company gave me their info and emailed me asking for the script. Right around that time, I got a manager, who felt the script wasn't ready yet. So I ended up not sending it. But I got the impression that they (Donners) would have taken the script seriously even though it came from a paid pitch session. I don't know if that's true of all the prodco.s there, but it might be.

Comment

Gilly,

I still can't figure this one out. Austin had their dates set and publicized for more than a year and the folks at Expo chose the same weekend. From what I understand, one of the longtime panelists for Austin who'd also been a panelist at Expo called up the folk at Expo and asked them why they chose the same weekend b/c they were going to make it hard on the registrants to choose where to spend their limited money. The answer from Expo was (allegedly) that they (expo) and Austin don't cater to the same market.

Uh...aren't they both designed to help fledgling screenwriters learn about the craft and business of screenwriting? Wouldn't that mean the market is EXACTLY the same?

I don't know much about Expo. I've never been. Yeah, I live in LA now but I've still never been. My first year here, my kids were too young for me to leave all day. Last year, I had something else going on. This year would have been the first year where I might have shelled out money to attend, but, now I won't. I'm going to Austin again.

The thing is, I KNOW Austin is worth my money. It's even worth the extra expense of paying for my kids to fly there, too (they go visit family) and I get four days of networking with panelists, reps and producers who can't get in their cars and drive home after a session. I don't know if I'll be spending extra money to pitch, but I haven't decided that yet. I'm waiting to see how the networking flows at the parties.

If anyone here is going to Austin, let me know. For those of you going to Expo, I hope you get a lot out of it. It appears I'm not meant to find out what the Expo really has to offer.

Suz

Comment

Hey Suz,
              Do you know if Austin offers reduced rates on hotels or are we on our own?
              Thanks.

Comment

PG,

Yes, they do have discounted hotel rates. They also have discounted airfare with American Airlines, though if you keep up with Southwest prices, they might be close.

If you go to the website, www.austinfilmfestival.com, you can find all the conference info. I would recommend staying at the Stephen F. Austin or the Driskill if you can afford it. Maybe someone else wants to share a room. The reason I recommend those two hotels is b/c the 'networking' goes late into the night at the Driskill Bar and it's safer to just walk upstairs or cross the street as opposed to having to walk five or six blocks.

Having said all that, if you're not rolling in dough AND don't want to share a room, the conference has deals with even less expensive hotels and often there are people with cars who are willing to give folks a lift. If you choose that option, make sure you meet me and let me know so I can see if I can hook you up with a nice person who'll drive you home late at night.

Suz

Comment

From Erik Bauer, publisher of Creative Screenwriting and CEO of Promise Technologies:

The Expo is so large, that we need multiple venues to hold the 300+ events the Expo puts on and this year the only dates we could get coincided with Austin's.

We don't anticipate any conflict in future years.

Comment

They also changed venues I think...Doing it near the airport this year. Isn't this space smaller than downtown?

Comment

Originally posted by SugarCubeNYC
                      Is anyone going this year? And anyone investing in the Golden Pass?
                      I will be there and I have a Golden Pass - just makes it easier.

V
                      it's not rocket surgery

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms
                        They also changed venues I think...Doing it near the airport this year. Isn't this space smaller than downtown?
                        I believe that by combining the two locations, it will actually be bigger than last years. I think that there literally is not a place in LA, other than the convention center, that could handle, by itself, the Expo. The vibe at the hotels is supposed to be cooler than the THX 1138 vibe at the Convention Center. ;-)

Jim

Comment

The vibe at the hotels is supposed to be cooler than the THX 1138 vibe at the Convention Center. ;-)
                          And hopefully the Starbucks will stay open later than 3:00 pm!

Seriously, the Expo is fantastic. I've enjoyed it every year and I'm looking forward to going again this year, to attend all the Pixar seminars if nothing else. Frankly, I can't imagine a better deal. I know that Austin has its fans but it's way out of my price range.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Working...
                          X