Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Last Minute Nicholl Notes

A short checklist for Nicholl contest entries with the deadline fast approaching

Be certain that you have read and complied with the rules.

Be certain that you have filled out your application form completely and legibly.

Be certain that you have signed your application form.

If you are part of a collaborative team, be certain that both applicants have filled out and signed separate application forms.

If you are submitting more than one entry, you may include all of the scripts in a single package.

You also may write a single check or money order for the total entry fee for the multiple scripts.

May 2 is a postmark deadline. You only need to make certain that your script arrives at your post office early enough in the day on May 2 so that it will be properly postmarked.

It is permissible to ship scripts via courier services such as UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. There is no need to overnight scripts.

If you are submitting to more than one competition at the same time, make sure that you send the proper form and entry fee to each competition. For instance, double-check that your Nicholl form has not been placed in your Austin envelope.

Scripts should be printed on three-hole paper.

Scripts should be bound with two or three brass fasteners (aka brads).

Card stock covers are recommended.

For foreign entrants:

If you do not have access to standard US paper, adjustments are allowed.

Scripts may be printed on A4 paper with two holes or four holes.

Do leave at least a 1.5 inch/3.8 cm bottom margin so that scripts can be copied onto US 8.5x11†paper if necessary.

Alternative fasteners may be used (but they should be similar in operation to brass brads).

Card stock covers are recommended.

Your title page should only include the title of your script.

Your name, address, contact should not appear anywhere in the script.

It is permissible to place registration information on the title page so long as your name does not appear.

You should not include a logline of your script on your title page.

If you have already submitted your script with a normal title page, we shall remove it from your script.

A few eligibility notes:

If you have earned more than $5,000 writing for narrative feature films and/or narrative television, then you are not eligible. The $5,000 limit is a cumulative amount. For example, three $2,000 options would make a writer ineligible to enter.

Writers of television news and/or documentary films remain eligible (so long as they are otherwise eligible).

Adaptations are not eligible (with the exception of adaptations of one's own work). Typically, adaptations are based on a single source -- a novel, a non-fiction book, a short story, a news article, a movie, a TV series, etc. Additionally, scripts that depend upon the existence of a single source are also not eligible; typically, these use pre-existing fictional characters -- James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, the X-Men, Superman, etc. -- or are sequels to other movies (or books, TV shows, etc.) -- Star Trek, Star Wars, Scream, James Bond, Get Smart, etc.

Scripts based solely on fairy tales, mythological tales or the bible are usually not eligible.

Historical scripts based on research are eligible. If you consulted multiple sources for a script about Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, that script would be considered an original. However, if you consulted a single source for the same script, it would not be eligible.

Using a moment or two from a play in a script about actors would not cause that script to be an adaptation. Similar usage from other sources (news stories, sporting events, songs, etc.) would also not cause a script to be an adaptation.

[If you belong to another online screenwriting group and feel that this would be helpful to members, feel free to repost.]

Greg,

If something reads like a fairy tale or myth (but is not - i.e. not pre-existing), and is focused on a culture that the typical reader might not be familiar with, would a presumption be made that the script was based on a fairy tale? If a script is dismissed as a fairy tale by a reader, is there any double check to make sure it truly isn't a based-on?

For example, if PRINCESS BRIDE (in a Goldman-less world) were submitted, and a reader thought it rang a bell or could be a European fairy tale - would it be dismissed on those grounds?

Is there a "based on" check-box that immediately flags a script for disqualification?

Thanks.

Comment

What about a script based on, say, Arthurian legend or the French Roland/Charlemagne story?

Comment

Arthur is always going to be problematic, as he's fictional. How does one write a script about Arthur without relying on earlier fictional accounts?

Charlemagne and Roland are historical and thus one can research them. Depending solely on a single epic poem would make the story an adaptation.

Comment

There is an amount of historical evidence that suggests a real King Arthur. But anyway how about this - what if the story is Arthur's grandson?

Comment

The same problems exist.

I don't have a problem with a script about an historical figure who may be the model upon which the Arthurian legends are based. I suspect his name would not be Arthur.

The problem arises in writers just writing a script about Arthur or some aspect of his court and not recognizing that their script could not exist without and is based upon Mallory, White, et al.

Writers have to take responsibility for adaptations. That doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't write the scripts; it just means that they should not enter those scripts into a competition that does not allow adaptations.

Comment

Writers have to take responsibility for adaptations. That doesn't mean that they can't or shouldn't write the scripts; it just means that they should not enter those scripts into a competition that does not allow adaptations.
              But that means I have to come up with my own ideas and be all creative and junk like that...

:b

Comment

Hi Greg,

How's this for last minute. My addressed just changed from NY to CA over this past week so it's wrong on my entry! What do I do?! Thanks.

ABZ

Comment

ABZ, On your entry form directly under the area assigned for e-mail address is the following note.

Because confirmations will be sent to each entrant, please notify us by mail or e-mail <[email protected]> If you change your e-mail or mailing address before July 1, 2005.

Comment

Thanks Rose! I've been so discombobulated with the sudden move...Well you get the pic. Thanks again. ABZ

Comment

Re: I'm curious, could you please clarify?

(This message was left blank)

Comment

Working...
                      X