Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoetrope

Well, less than a month now. Anybody want to start fussing about it?

kullervo

Zoetrope

Hey Kullervo,

Haven't you won enough contests already? Sheesh. Serious question: Do you pay taxes on all your contest winnings?

Comment

Of course! I've got computers and conferences to write off against earnings, and my accountant gets nervous if there aren't earnings. Besides, I get to pay my taxes to the state of Hawaii, and I don't mind giving them money. The politicians here embezzle in such entertaining ways.

k

Comment

Wow. I entered this so long ago I actually can't remember which screenplay I decided to put in (I've narrowed it down to two of them)...that's probably not a good sign.

Comment

My entire life is on hold until Feb 1st.

Well, not really.

Okay, sorta.

Comment

Did anyone enter last year? Do they wait to notify everyone - including winners - until Feb. 1st, and then only on their website?

Comment

No, it was a real clusterf**k last year. Read about it here, in a year-old thread from this very forum:

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealcontests.showMessage?topicID=957.topic

Comment

in ter es ting!!!

I'm sure they'll avoid such snafus this year. If not, those of you in-the-know should be so kind as to kick down the skinny.

Comment

They're saying over at Zoe that the finalists were probably already notified, but I'm still holding out hope.

And I agree with morphitologist -- let us know if anyone finds out early! The sooner my bubble gets burst the better, because these contests give me a tummy ache. :\

Jen

Comment

finalists

Were finalists notified in advance in the past?

Oh well, time to start counting down for the Nicholl...and still hoping to become ineligible before May 2...

LauriD

Comment

Re: finalists

LauriD --

I don't know firsthand, because I wasn't a finalist, but someone over at Zoe said in the thread "Place Your Bets," "Last year they notified the finalists and winner the week before the announcement." That's not to say that they'll do the same thing this year, but if you read the rest of the thread, that seems to be what everyone thinks.

But I guess we'll all find out for sure on Tuesday, so good luck!

Jen

Comment

Re: finalists

To be honest, it's only my second contest, and I must admit I find it a bit excruciating. Now I know why I never play the Lotto - this weird dream-state of hope mixed with pure fantasy means that I'm sitting around thinking about what I'm going to say to Coppolla as we're having a glass of wine and a cigar on his front porch.

Exactly - what an imagination!

Here's the rub: My script is #5161, which leads me to believe there were up to 6 thousand submissions this year (double last year). What are the chances that my 112 pages will percolate anywhere near the top with those kinds of numbers??? What are the chances that it would even get read? I mean, if they had a deluge, wouldn't they just pick the first top 100 scripts and say "okay, done!". I know if I were administrating the contest, and I had a deadline of, say, the Holidays to deliver 10 of the best scripts for Francis to read himself (the rules say he reads all the top 10 finalists to choose the winner), I'd be weeding out the process right quick. As in, "okay, we've got our ten, throw everything else in the shredder."

You see how my mind works?

I kind of hate these contests. But I think I could become addicted.

Comment

Re: zoe

That number represents the total of last year's and this.

Comment

Results are up. Congrats to all who placed or won.

Comment

Semi-finalist! Yay!

Comment

Working...
                              X