Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundance Screenwriters Lab

I'm dyin' here! When do they usually contact the 12 they're inviting to the January Lab? Has anybody still in the running heard either yay or nay yet?

Re: Sundance Screenwriters Lab

Give it another ten days or so. That's my understanding. And work on something else. Don't think about it. Keep you sane. Ish.

Oh, and good luck. And congratulations.

Comment

Well, I'm out. You heard, yet, Cotton?

Comment

How did you find out?

This is what I got from them today.

"We will be replying to all applicants via email sometime on or before the 15th."

It's fun being on this side once in a while.

Is the prestige associated with the screenwriter's lab as much as the director's lab? It seems SO MANY of these projects find homes afterwards.

YIKES!

Comment

No, I've heard NOTHING either way but I never formally applied...I was recommended so I'm not sure if that changes things for me in terms of hearing from them or not because I didn't even get the email Jim got. How did you find out, Pooh?

You think they'd contact the winners first or the losers? God, this is maddening.

Keep your head up, Pooh.
          Last edited by CottonFitzsimmons; 12-07-2006, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Jim,

I got a phone call. And I don't really know anything about the prestige. Frankly, of the few projects I know of that went through the writer's lab, it seems that not many of them turned into movies that enjoyed much exposure or appeal. (But they did turn into movies.) But I honestly don't know much about it. In fact, I had never heard of the writing lab (only the director's lab) before this summer. So, grain of salt.

Cotton,

If you're not out, yet, then you're still in for now. That's all you need to know, isn't it? I didn't formally apply either, had a situation like yours. Does your script have a director attached, yet? Mine doesn't and I think having a director helps with Sundance.

I imagine they'll call you. And if they don't call until the announcement drops in the trades, I imagine you're in good shape.

Comment

I recently sent them an email to inform them of a change in contact information, and they promptly replied with the following:

"We haven't made any decisions as of yet, but we will be making them very soon. I've updated our database so that you will be notified promptly."

I'm not holding out any hope considering my advancement was based soley on my script and I assume a couple of industry contacts that I've garnered in the past year that I used as references on my resume.

It would be a cool deal though if I or anyone is chosen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Taotropics (a pro DD'er) got his big break via the Sundance program. Not too sure about the details though.

Good luck to all, and do the WRITE thing regardless.
              "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
              - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Tao was a Screenwriting Lab invitee back 99 or 2000 I believe.
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                  Tao was a Screenwriting Lab invitee back 99 or 2000 I believe.
                  That sounds about right. I was a regular on here then (different account) and I remember reading a very informative thread of his (as all of his threads are) that chronicled a many of the details from that experience.

I think he entered without any major attachments or contacts as well. I don't think the DD archive goes back far enough to fish it out.
                  "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
                  - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Good luck Jim, and everyone! Cool! Fun!

Quentin Tarantino went. He turned out rather peachy keen.

Comment

the silence is deafening...

Comment

still no word??
                        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

For anyone keeping score at home, I did receive my rejection email from Sundance this evening. Perhaps others have more encouraging news.

Comment

Here's the list...from today's Variety...they never even bothered to call or email me a rejection.

Sundance selects a dozen Lab projects

Leguizamo among particants in annual event

By DAVE MCNARY

Sundance Institute has selected a dozen projects for its annual January Screenwriters Lab, running Jan. 12-17 at the Sundance Resort in Utah.
                            The Screenwriters Lab is a five-day workshop aimed at giving independent screenwriters the opportunity to work on their feature scripts with support from established writers.
                            Projects include John Leguizamo's "Jess Sanchez: An Imperfect Life," adapted from Leguizamo's solo stage show; Maryann Keshavar's "Circumstance," centered on the ripple effects of a soldier's death at the Iran/Iraq border; Patricia Benoit's "Haiti Cherie," focused on Haitian immigrants in America seeking to escape their pasts; Jorge Gaggero's "Dog Security," about the legacy of violence in Argentina; and David Riker's "The Girl," a tale of a south Texas woman helping immigrants cross the border.
                            Other projects and participants selected are "The Book of Internal Grammar," by Nir Bergman; "Cold Soles," by Sophie Barthes; "Green," by Peter Craig; "Here," by Braden King: "Spoons," by Eric Lahey; "Tshepang," by Lara Foot Newton and Gerhard Marx; and "Water & Power," by Richard Montoya. Lab projects that received Independent Spirit nominations earlier this month include "Half Nelson," "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints," "Stephanie Dailey," "Wristcutters" and "Wild Tigers I have Known." Meanwhile, five films supported by the program are premiering at Sundance: "Four Sheets to the Wind," "Eagle vs. Shark," "Sweet Mud," "Year of the Fish" and "Red Road."

Comment

Originally posted by CottonFitzsimmons View Post
                              they never even bothered to call or email me a rejection..
                              condolences cotton & acqua (and anyone else)
                              i didn't even warrant a read
                              onward
                              If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed. -- Stanley Kubrick

Comment

Working...
                              X