Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expo 3 announces Finalists

The Expo 3 Screenplay Competition received more than 1400 scripts this year. We are proud to announce the Finalists, Semifinalists and Honorable Mentions from this year's competition.

Official status letters will go out to all entrants this week and they will include a special offer from Writers Boot Camp.

The finalists are in the running for the $10,000 Grand Prize, 6 other cash prizes and the New Visions Fellowship Award.

All Finalists and Semifinalists receive a set of notes and a copy of Final Draft Software. They also receive a year's subscription to Creative Screenwriting Magazine and access to producers, managers and agents.

I hope to see everyone at Expo 3 from November 5-7. Please come to the final ceremony at 3:00 on Sunday to show your support for these writers.

Jim Mercurio
    [email protected]
    www.screenwritingexpo.com

FINALISTS
    A Simple Man with a Simple Plan&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Jeffrey Robert Davis
    Griz&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Don Grail
    Imaginary Friends&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp John Stancari
    Michelangelo&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Lorelei Armstrong
    Rock, Paper, Scissors&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Tim Wells
    Split Infinity&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Nova Jacobs & John Douglas Sinclair
    Still Alive &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Andrew Kincaid
    The Rogues' Gallery&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Brian Watanabe

SEMIFINALISTS&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Abigail Hartman&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp James Hacking
    Cold Showers&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Rebecca Heck
    Distribution&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp David Matthew Guest
    Finding Sousa&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Jill Weinberger
    Hatfield's Rain&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Iris Yamashita
    Shadowmen&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Dan Loschack
    The Devil's Bargain&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Joseph Flynn
    They're Still With Us John C. Manigaulte
    War Stories&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Ryan Reed
    You're the One&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp David Ash

Writers Boot Camp will name 2 additional winners of Think Tank. The writers eligible for Think Tank have been contacted and are all still in the running.
    &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

HONORABLE MENTIONS&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
    Becoming Ben Cross Armano Rodriguez
    Blood and Feathers&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Tom Conigliaro
    Keeping Up With the Jones' &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Derek Vaughn
    Loose Ends&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Steve Allrich
    Mister Aloha&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Brian Kohne

Congrats, Lorelei! Keep on rollin'!

Comment

It's odd-- eight finalists and eight possible prizes. First, second, and third place in the main contest, four genre prizes, and one best low-budget indy prize. Well, my script only qualifies for first, second, or third. So I wonder if the whole thing is already decided or there will be overlap in the categories (best thriller also takes first place, for example).

In any event, I'm up against two Nicholl finalists (2003 and 2004). I'm not getting my hopes up. But I'll have a good time. Three of my former UCLA professors are teaching panels. I've got my tickets at the ready!

k

Comment

Kullervo,

Made the finals too with an action/comedy. Why aren't you elligible for the genre prizes? Is your script a straight drama? Who are the Nicholl finalists? What classes are your profs teaching? Are they worth checking out? Any other must take classes? Do you like gladiator movies?

Comment

Congrats, kullervo and Ampersand! I'm incredibly impressed! I only made the semis, but maybe you guys will still hang out with me if we run into each other.

Comment

So many questions, Ampersand! Nobody can live at that speed!

1. Yes, historical drama, and it would cost $100 million even before Adrien Brody cashed his check.

2. The Nicholl finalists are:

A Simple Man with a Simple Plan by Jeffrey Robert Davis (2003-- and he was a year behind me in the MFA at UCLA-- a relentless writer, he'd bring his laptop and write at every available moment on campus.)

Split Infinity by Nova Jacobs and John Douglas Sinclair (I believe she's a USC MFA).

3. My profs were Richard Walter and Hal Ackerman, and Robert Roy Pool was also a UCLA instructor, but I didn't have a chance to take his 434. But I'll be there for two of his sessions and two of Richard's. I'm afraid of Hal, after his 434.

4. Definitely worth checking out. Richard is a raconteur from way back. He can start on one subject, travel across 837 other topics, and return to where he started. What kind of mental breadcrumb trail he's leaving I have no idea.

5. Needless to say, I'll be attending at least one of the panels concerning screenwriting contests, having won four this year.

6. You interest me strangely...

k

Comment

We Done Dealers should arrange to meet somewhere. Shall we synchronize our computers?

k

Comment

I'm up for a meet, and I won't bail like I did at Austin! Maybe during one of the lunch breaks?

Comment

Groovy. DDer's-- how about Friday, so we'll have familiar faces for the weekend?

k

Comment

Sounds good to me. If no one's afraid of cross-board pollination, I know a few folks over at the Moviebytes board who are also interested in meeting up.

Comment

Groovy.

k

Comment

I'm there. So how do we do this? Secret handshake? Bowler hats? I got it... red roses in our Mckee books.

Comment

Good Lord, I can't even carry that thing.

k

Comment

Good news K,

I asked Jim and all 8 of us will be winning one of the 8 prizes, no one's doubling up leaving someone out in the cold. Sweet...

Comment

Now, let's not ruin the surprise for our potential audience, but the person who is winning the New Visions Prize is already aware of that fact.

The other good news is the smallest cash prize will be $1000.

Also, I am hosting the first panel of the Expo and the subject is screenwriting contests. Please email me with any ideas or suggestions for topics/questions for the panel.

See you at Expo 3.

Signing 1430 letters today,
                              Jim
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X