Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about a lowly quarterfinalist?

There's a couple of us coming in all the way from the Midwest. Can we stop by and say "hi", too? Even though we only made quarters? Seriously, congratulations to all who advanced! I envy and applaude you. And those of us who didn't...see you at Jim's panel.

Comment

Poor Jim, your arm will be in a cast all week. Rubber stamp! Rubber stamp!

Let's see, thoughts on contests. I think the single abiding issue for any contest that is not the Nicholl is getting the industry to pay any attention to their entrants. Even being a quarterfinalist in the Nicholl seems to guarantee a handfull of script requests, and getting near the top causes an avalanche. Winning a different contest with similar odds (5 winners of 6000 scripts- one in 1200), can result in nothing at all. Trust me, I know.

It's not as though those 6000 scripts going into the Nicholl are all at some level above the scripts in other contests. They're the same scripts, in fact. But the town doesn't treat them that way.

kullervo

Comment

Yeah, we've got to figure out where all DDers (and others) can meet for a big hello. That Convention Center would be a friendlier place with friendlier faces!

k

Comment

Expo ID

I am going to put a "DD" on my nametag...

Comment

Re: Expo ID

Good idea!

k

Comment

Re: Expo ID

New around here but I'll be on a look out for you!

Comment

Here are several contest questions

I'm sure you have plenty of questions, Jim, but here are a few that I wouldn't mind hearing answered.

All on the same topic:

Do contest administrators feel comfortable passing entrants' scripts to companies and agencies that request them?

Does it worry anybody that the script has been at the contest for months and so may not be the writer's latest and best draft?

Does the writer's desire to have her script read at a company outweigh the lack of control over who is reading it?

On some other topics:

Do contest administrators feel comfortable taking in over a hundred thousand dollars in entry fees while having cash prizes that often total in the four figures? (This may not apply to anyone on the panel and so wouldn't make sense. A question about contest finances would not be unreasonable -- entry fees, prize money, overhead, reading costs, etc.)

Do contest administrators feel comfortable sending out dozens of press releases in the course of a single competition, announcing important events such as company A requested two scripts, etc.?

Do writers appreciate receiving emails from a competition soliciting entries as it reminds them of impending deadlines? How many solicitations are too many?

How are contests dealing with online entries and submissions? How are scripts entered online being read?

Would potential entrants rather enter online or with a hard copy in the mail?

Would potential entrants rather print/download an entry form online or receive a hard copy in the mail?

Would entrants rather receive emails and/or regular mail about their status in a competition? Or simply watch for a list on the contest's website?

Comment

Re: Here are several contest questions

I almost forgot:

Do you actually send the prizes people win? (Shakes a stick at the Fade-In Awards).

kullervo

Comment

And:

How many readers do you have relative to the number of scripts you receive? What is the average and maximum number of scripts read by any one reader, and over what period of time?

k

Comment

Here's an idea: the prestige of a contest is dependent in large part on the prestige of the judges, yes? We all know those finalist scripts in the Nicholl were being read and evaluated by some extraordinary people. There's no mystery that the Zoetrope contest was huge in year one because of the identity of the final judge.

Compare this to the average contest, which touts judges who are "active in the industry." They could be working craft services for all we know. A slight tick upward is a list: "past judges have included..." Again, this year could be the guys manning the steam trays. And "judged by Prodco X" is no good-- the job may very well fall to interns.

So how's that for a challenge to contests? Name your judge(s) up front. Or, at the very least, name them after the fact, by year they served, so entrants can get an idea of who's making the call in the year they enter. Ultimately, I have to believe this will help with industry recognition of the results.

k

Comment

Meet you at the Expo

Kullervo and other DDers,

Can't make lunch. Kullervo, I'll keep a lookout for you at Jim's first panel. I'll be up there after the show saying hello.

&

Comment

Re: Meet you at the Expo

Groovy. I'll have DD on my nametag.

k

Comment

You'll get comments if you can't back that up.

Comment

I needed that this morning!

k

Comment

Working...
                              X