Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketch comedy writing books/classes?

Seems fun and interesting but I'm not finding a lot of useful information on the web.

I see Second City and a lot of others offer classes but I can't find any reviews of them, anyone have any experiences or recommendations?

Re: Sketch comedy writing books/classes?

Wow, nobody?

Comment

I know Improv Olympic has classes, but I don't know how good they are. I just happened to see a flyer up when I was there to see, well, improv. But I will say that the improv was kickass. (I saw Beer Shark Mice. They blew me away.)
      The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

My friend took the Improv Olympic classes and loved them. If I recall, they actually used material from the classes in their shows.

The Groundlings have sketch classes, but you have to first take their Improv workshops, which I can't recommend. I heard great things about these workshops, but my instructor was a total a-hole. He was an extremely frustrated performer with a huge chip on his shoulder. He reeked of contempt for teaching and his students. His final act of a-holeness was standing over us, watching what we wrote in our performance evaluations.

I'm sure there are better instructors, but the whole experience turned me off to the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Happyhack View Post
          My friend took the Improv Olympic classes and loved them. If I recall, they actually used material from the classes in their shows.

The Groundlings have sketch classes, but you have to first take their Improv workshops, which I can't recommend. I heard great things about these workshops, but my instructor was a total a-hole. He was an extremely frustrated performer with a huge chip on his shoulder. He reeked of contempt for teaching and his students. His final act of a-holeness was standing over us, watching what we wrote in our performance evaluations.

I'm sure there are better instructors, but the whole experience turned me off to the program.
          Well one of my problems is I just want to write and have no desire to perform, is that unheard of in the sketch world?

Comment

The Olympic classes my friend took were just for writing. Their in-house troup would perform material generated in the classes.

Groundlings is definitely focused on the writer/performer. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
              Well one of my problems is I just want to write and have no desire to perform, is that unheard of in the sketch world?
              As far as I know, pretty much. While a lot of staff writers on shows like SNL don't actually preform, they probably did in some form or another once. I have friends who have a troupe out here in New York. I also have a friend, who majored in dramatic writing and wants to write, who is in Second City -- he preforms. He's good too.

I also hear UCB in NYC is good too.

Comment

Check out all the Improv/Sketch Venues here in LA

I am from Chicago, so I grew up on the real deal. Second City. Teaching Sketch is a tricky business. Look for expertise in the teachers who are providing the coursework and mentoring you through the process.

Don't ever take sketch writing from some group or company who have people who actually have not 'graduated' onto a mainstage and onto something worth while professionally or critically.

Most "old school" sketch institutions teach you how to be a great improvisor and write on your feet with rules you eventually can bend/break.

I am old school and improvising has helped me write and help me break writers block... but that's just me

Check out (if you're in LA)

http://www.ucbtheatre.com/la

http://www.secondcity.com - visit the new Theater on Hollywood Blvd and ask to speak with the training director

For you in New York... go to the PIT... it rocks...

http://www.thepit-nyc.com/

Good luck
                --Zazzzz
                Last edited by zazzo2003; 01-30-2007, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I took classes at Second City years ago.
                  Even if you don't like to perform, it DEFINITELY helps your writing to at least give it a stab and see the world from the other side of the stage.

I recommend taking a class.

S

Comment

I am finishing up the last of 6 classes in Second City's writing program and I have to say that it has definitely improved my writing sketch writing. There are many important aspects of good comedy sketch writing, that before taking the class, I had no idea existed.
                    I saw a big difference in sketches written toward the end of the program compared to what I wrote in the beginning... Not to mention the experience you get by putting on a live show (working with the director, actors, the audition process, and observing audience reactions). The experience of putting together a show is worth it alone. I highly recomend the writing program at Second City.

Shameless Plug:
                    By the way, if you're in Chicago, keep an eye out for my (group) show "Birth Conrtol to Major Tom". It's not listed yet on Second City's web page, but opening night is March 16th, 7:30pm, on the Donny's Skybox stage. (runs for 5 Fridays).

Comment

Working...
                    X