Thoughts on AAA Screenwriting Competition?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on AAA Screenwriting Competition?

What's your guys' feeling about this one?

Would it matter if you placed in something like this?
    Quarter finals?
    Semi finals?

Or is that not even worth mentioning?

S

Re: Thoughts on AAA Screenwriting Competition?

I made the quarterfinals list and used the news as a means of following up with some companies that already had the script, as in:

"I don't know if you had the chance to look at *** yet, but I wanted to let you know it just made the quarterfinals of..."

The same script was also a quarterfinalist at Austin this year, which I consider to be a bigger deal, but any positive attention around the script can't be a bad thing. And the prizes don't suck, either.

Comment

Anyone know the numbers here? Like what per cent made the quarterfinals, and how many will make it to the semis?

Comment

Placing in this contest is definitely worth mentioning. While it's no Nicholls, it has a profile in the community and is nothing to sneeze at. The competitions that do set me to sneezing are the ones that are more or less always in operation, with "winners" announced monthly.

this is the short list I supply to my clients:

http://www.scriptapalooza.com/ Deadline: April 13th

http://www.finaldraft.com/events-and-services/big-break/ Open for submissions January 15th

http://www.oscars.org/nicholl/index.html
        May 1

http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/submission June 1 latest

http://www.slamdance.com March 23rd

http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/why_enter_bluecat.php March 1 latest

Julie Gray

Comment

LaFemme,

As always, you rock.
          Thanks for the insight on it.

I also have a script in the quarterfinals right now and was curious what to think of it. It's funny, as writers I think we're always looking for ways to discount ourselves rather than just be proud of some achievement.

Take care.
          S

Comment

when i worked at a talent/lit agency, we were "sponsoring" one of the AAA contests. actually, it was the assistant to the head of the company who was in charge of it.

so all the assistants and interns each got a script, about six or so in all, and the level of feedback was horrendous. perhaps they didn't articulate it well but it boiled down to comments like "it was weird" and general descriptions of what happens rather than analysis. basically they treated it like a joke and a chore.

me and two others (one was the guy in charge) gave our analysis and the winning script was more due to our pecking order at the company than the actual merit of the script. it was decided really casually and "democratically."

i believe that the head lit agent was either given coverage of the winning script or actually read it himself, not too sure.

i dont know what happened to the winning script and hey, maybe good things came out of it. but that was what happened at this particular company. a couple of caveats: that was just the atmosphere at this particular company which was also going through a lack of leadership at the time. and perhaps more upper level lit agencies may treat the contest more respectfully.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
              when i worked at a talent/lit agency, we were "sponsoring" one of the AAA contests. actually, it was the assistant to the head of the company who was in charge of it.

so all the assistants and interns each got a script, about six or so in all, and the level of feedback was horrendous. perhaps they didn't articulate it well but it boiled down to comments like "it was weird" and general descriptions of what happens rather than analysis. basically they treated it like a joke and a chore.

me and two others (one was the guy in charge) gave our analysis and the winning script was more due to our pecking order at the company than the actual merit of the script. it was decided really casually and "democratically."

i believe that the head lit agent was either given coverage of the winning script or actually read it himself, not too sure.

i dont know what happened to the winning script and hey, maybe good things came out of it. but that was what happened at this particular company. a couple of caveats: that was just the atmosphere at this particular company which was also going through a lack of leadership at the time. and perhaps more upper level lit agencies may treat the contest more respectfully.
              Are you sure this is the right contest? I don't think AAA has sponsors like you are talking about, nor does that sound like their judging system.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
                Are you sure this is the right contest? I don't think AAA has sponsors like you are talking about, nor does that sound like their judging system.
                im pretty sure. it was last year so memory might be a little hazy. but yeah, i remember seeing advertisements for contests like it in creative screenwriting mag where different companies would sponsor each contest. the one i read was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                  im pretty sure. it was last year so memory might be a little hazy. but yeah, i remember seeing advertisements for contests like it in creative screenwriting mag where different companies would sponsor each contest. the one i read was one of them.
                  That was a different contest.

Jim

Comment

I'm sorta confused by the results for the current contest being posted at the AAA site. They have two seperate lists for "quarterfinalists" and "considers"... with no crossover.

These have been up for more than a few weeks.

Is this the actual list? Seemed to have went up pretty quick for something that was still taking entries up until July 31st.

Yeah... grasping at straws.
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                      I'm sorta confused by the results for the current contest being posted at the AAA site. They have two seperate lists for "quarterfinalists" and "considers"... with no crossover.

These have been up for more than a few weeks.

Is this the actual list? Seemed to have went up pretty quick for something that was still taking entries up until July 31st.

Yeah... grasping at straws.
                      and when will the finalists be announced?

Comment

In the FAQ section for AAA, they say they announce the semifinalists on October 1st.

ajs

Comment

Originally posted by Neen View Post
                          In the FAQ section for AAA, they say they announce the semifinalists on October 1st.

ajs
                          still waiting...

Comment

Here's the latest:

They will be announced quite shortly, expect it within the next week
                            to week and a half.

Take care,
                            CS

I received this reply on Friday the 5th.

ajs

Comment

Does anybody have anything new? The last promised announcement date for semis has come and gone. We've even passed the posted date to announce finals.

Here we go again.

ajs

Comment

Working...
                              X