Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptapalooza?

Anybody entering this year? Anybody know of any personal 1st hand success stories?

What are the pro's and con's of online contests like these?

Thanks,
    -Zazzzz

Re: Scriptapalooza?

I'd like to know how much the fee is. I can't seem to find it anywhere. They should post that right upfront, unless they've something to hide.

Comment

Their fees are posted in the Q & A section:

Early bird deadline (postmarked by January 05, 2007) - $40.00
      First deadline (postmarked by March 05, 2007) - $45.00
      Final deadline (postmarked by April 13, 2007) - $50.00

All screenplays must be postmarked by April 13th.
      Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

On the TV side -- my friend's pilot went no where in the contest. Didn't even make the first cut.

BUT, it did manage to sell to ABC and will be shown at the upfronts this year.

Comment

I heard stories like that with contests. You submit and hear nothing...but you get the same well written script in the hands of someone with pull and voi la...it's going somewhere.

We're (my writing partner and I) submitting a couple of specs...let's see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by zazzo2003 View Post
            I heard stories like that with contests. You submit and hear nothing...but you get the same well written script in the hands of someone with pull and voi la...it's going somewhere.

We're (my writing partner and I) submitting a couple of specs...let's see what happens.
            Go for it. You never know. And, it is a pretty well respected contest. When I worked at a mid-sized production company, we always read Scriptapalooza's top ten. One thing I did notice when reading the winners -- they all had male protagonists. Not one with a female...since I'm a gal, it sort of bugged. That was awhile ago, so things might have changed...good luck!

Comment

my buddy TJ's pilot came in first place in the TV comp...it has a male protag...military drama.
              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I paid the $45 about two weeks ago and only printed my script out last night. Had to indefinately borrow some paper from work. Hopefully I get to the post office tomorrow.

Never entered this contest before so what the hell. Why not.

Comment

Myself and my co-writer entered Scriptapalooza before once for a Smallville and once for our horror script. Horror Script made it into Quater Finals and got dinked after that.

Scriptapalooza, Nichol, Disney and CS's AAA seem to good contests to enter, imho.
                  R.K. Bentley
                  My Blog, My Design Studio
                  "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

I think if you can make it into the finalists (around 30?), you will likely get quite a few reads. Top 10 seems to get even more of course.

I entered my first script (second draft) last year and made it into the semi's, which I was quite pleased with. It got a couple of requests (they have a news page where they list all the request for reads), which was nice.

I think the major contest can be decent litmus tests for your screenplay, if not an absolute failsafe measure. Meaning if you've written something that's frankly not that great, you might make 1 cut but likely not further. OTOH, if you've written something of very good quality, you'll likely make a cut or 2.

I've made a lot of progress since entering, so feel fortunate to have gotten as far as I did. I just take it as a sign of progress. I'm going to do another rewrite with some significant new ideas in mind, and enter it into the Nicholl.

Comment

Been doing tweaks and rewrites on a script, and figuring that Scriptapalooza
                      is high enough profile to blow the $ on it, and try out for my first screenplay competition.. (had some features made off scripts of mine, but never entered a US competition before)
                      Just gotta register the damn thing, then will grit teeth and throw it towards the Scriptapalooza thing, and hope for the best..

Comment

I made it to the top ten last year and got a few reads but no offers. My protagonist was a female and I'm female so women do get somewhere with that contest.

Comment

Working...
                        X