No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 10 Best Screenwriting Competitions

Hi All,
    I was wondering, from your experience, what you would consider the top ten best credible screenwriting competitions out there today. Any info would be appreciaed.

Thanks

Re: The Top 10 Best Screenwriting Competitions

Disney, Nicholl, Austin, Warner Bros, Nickelodeon, Sundance (more for filmmakers).
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Originally posted by odocoileus View Post
      Disney, Nicholl, Austin, Warner Bros, Nickelodeon, Sundance (more for filmmakers).
      Do the math. Expo gave away more than 30k in cash, 70k in production deals (We are making 2-3 shorts this year) and another 50k in other prizes.

A top script from a few years ago was made into a feature and our judge Michael Lent produced it. Check out witchesnight.com.

I think this would put it in or right below this category.

Comment

Expo could certainly be included on that list. I was giving my own estimation of the top contests.

Expo is relatively new compared to the others, and I don't believe it has the track record of the Nicholl when it comes to breaking feature writers into the industry. As an insider, you have better info than I do.

As it continues, I expect its track record will get stronger and stronger though.

Comment

Worth checking out www.moviebytes.com, the most comprehensive contest listings.

Register, and you can get access to their contest ratings (rated and ranked by users of the site).

Comment

Go Here:
            http://www.brassbrad.com/contests.htm
            Chris L. Roman

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
              Do the math. Expo gave away more than 30k in cash, 70k in production deals (We are making 2-3 shorts this year) and another 50k in other prizes.

A top script from a few years ago was made into a feature and our judge Michael Lent produced it. Check out witchesnight.com.

I think this would put it in or right below this category.

Do the math
              ? It's not just about the prize money (how many people entered and how much was the entry fee... did you really give it away or just "give it back".)
              The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Do romantic comedies ever win these competitions? or are they more about high-concept material?...
                www.thesparksfly.com

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT View Post
                  Do the math? It's not just about the prize money (how many people entered and how much was the entry fee... did you really give it away or just "give it back".)
                  We give away, I think, 15 times more in prizes than, say, Austin and we get about half the scripts. For every dollar we received, we gave away $1.10 in prizes. And I think for writers trying to sustain themselves, the expected value (in cash) of their entry should be part of the equation. $20,000, even if it were with no other advantage, can change your writing life.

Comment

But more importantly, in my view, is the profile of the competition and it's sponsor in the business. CS is in my list of top 5 competitions.

Julie Gray

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
                      We give away, I think, 15 times more in prizes than, say, Austin and we get about half the scripts. For every dollar we received, we gave away $1.10 in prizes. And I think for writers trying to sustain themselves, the expected value (in cash) of their entry should be part of the equation. $20,000, even if it were with no other advantage, can change your writing life.
                      it's not about the cash. it's about getting your movie made. period.

Comment

Working...
                      X