Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Croasmun's ProSeries course

Has anyone taken Hal Croasmun's ProSeries course? If so what was your overall opinion of it?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Hal Croasmun's ProSeries course

I've taken Hal's ProSeries course along with most of the classes he offers. I got a lot of value out of them and the level of my writing has vastly improved.

Comment

Thank you Skatch.

Comment

Over-priced, assembly-line email dispatches and a peer forum.

The only thing they do well is HYPE.

Comment

I'm doing the Subtext course now. No feedback at all included in the course and it appears suitsue has a point about assembly-line email dispatches. Appears to be a press the button on day one and Screenwriting U's computer takes over. Having said that I am benefiting from the course. It's like an electronic workbook with daily deadlines. Do the work- get the benefits. Some feedback would be good.

Comment

what i find most interesting is the question brought some people out of the lurking woodwork.

Comment

If you're looking for a course where an all-mighty, all-powerful, all-validating instructor blesses you and your writing, or mentors you, or babysits you, this course isn't for you. It's purposefully designed NOT to be that.

If you seek insights into the craft itself, and how to understand, handle and wield the tools of that craft at a deeper, more deft and informed level, then by all means, look into it. Taking one of the standalone classes at ScreenwritingU.com is an inexpensive and useful way to sample the process and to get a sense of how the instructional materials are designed and work...and how well they fit, or don't fit, your approach to screenwriting at the level you're currently at.

I've taken post-grad level writing courses, attended retreats and workshops, read most all the books that all of us have on our shelves. None of them "flipped on the switch" nor elevated my writing to the degree this course did. It absolutely transformed and professionalized my approach.

That said, it's not going to do that for everyone. For me, I think the value flowed from the class material and assignments into my writing because 1) I was ready for it, 2) open to it, and 3) absolutely committed to do every assignment. Most important, I wasn't looking for validation -- especially from the instructor (which is expressly and clearly stated as NOT PART OF THE EXPERIENCE).

What I needed and what the material provided access to was a deeper understanding of how to think about and execute the writing process at a higher level of craftsmanship...and professionalism.

It delivered. In spades.

Comment

Yep, I agree with jcarends. I did the free teleconferences, and I enjoyed them both. One was on the Rewrite Process (my favorite), and I think the other was on What Producers Want...

They took about an hour, and I got a lot out of them.
                HL

Comment

I have taken two of the courses. Sub-text and dialogue. I HIGHLY recommend the series. I LEARNED so much from Hal's series and will eventually take the entire 6 month series. If you don't have the money to pay for the entire series he has payment plans or you can take a class or two like I did.

Comment

Ditto suitsue.
                    Last edited by kittensrjerks; 01-25-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by suitsue View Post
                      Over-priced, assembly-line email dispatches and a peer forum.

The only thing they do well is HYPE.
                      THIS. Please don't give this former Sony salesperson-slash-failed-screenwriter-turned-producer your money. PLEASE....

Comment

Welcome to Hal Croasmun's ProSeries! You've just discovered the key that unlocks the secrets of great scriptwriting and Hollywood success -

1. Interesting. If he really knew these secrets, wouldn't he just curate an army of writers and take over Hollywood? Looking at IMDB it doesn't look like he's had much luck finding these screenplays --

"...revealing to you why some people make it - what they did right - what the majority do wrong and why they won't ever make it -"

2. So, in addition to knowing the "secrets", he also has a crystal ball and can see into the future of every writer? This gets even better.

"...and how you can learn all the skills and gain all the vital knowledge that will qualify you as a success story!"

3. ALL the skills? ALL the vital knowledge? I was having trouble figuring out who was going to give me ALL the skills and ALL the vital knowledge. Now I know. And thank God he will be able to qualify me as a success story because I was wondering who was going to qualify me...as a success story.

"At the end of the course, you'll be writing compelling, moving, and powerful scripts that'll have Hollywood begging for more."

4. Awesome. I was also wondering why Hollywood wasn't begging for my screenplays. Now I know. No ProSeries...no begging.

I'm sure homeboy is just trying to make a buck like everyone else -- and if you have $1,100 to throw at this -- go for it. But the course outline doesn't look like anything you can't get out of a couple good books and a few free YouTube videos.

After that, read as many screenplays as you can and write, write, write.

Oh man, there I go, pretending I know the secret! Rgggg! It's so easy to fall into that trap! At least my way is a lot cheaper.

But I have to warn you, I will not be able to qualify you as a success story. So there's that.

Comment

Working...
                        X