No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rom-Com contests

Hi all,

Has a Romantic Comedy ever won a screenwriting contest? Are there better contests to apply to for a Rom- Com?

Thanks for all the help.

Re: Rom-Com contests

Ethan, I have not heard of a competition specifically for romcoms but if I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will fill me in. Gosh, I don't know which competitions would be better for a romcom but I would avoid Nicholls, that's for sure. Have you thought about the Disney Fellowship? That might be a good one.

Also, I'm sure you've heard of Billy Mernitt right? He has a great blog and is the king of romcom. And a very nice fellow. Check out:

http://livingromcom.typepad.com

I hope I got that link right

Julie Gray

Comment

Originally posted by La Femme Joyeuse View Post
      Gosh, I don't know which competitions would be better for a romcom but I would avoid Nicholls, that's for sure.
      Three of the scripts that earned writers Nicholl Fellowships were romantic comedies. Two others were romantic fantasy dramas.

Every year a number of romantic comedies advance to the Nicholl Quarterfinal Round and beyond.

Why is it that the writers of romantic comedies should avoid the Nicholl competition?

Comment

Well, Greg, if they are doing that well in the Nicholl, then I DEFINITELY want them to avoid the contest, since none of the stuff I enter is remotely Rom Com.

Comment

My understanding and the word on the street is that Nicholl favors drama. I am clearly dead wrong. Thanks for the update and carry on!

Julie Gray

Comment

Originally posted by La Femme Joyeuse View Post
            My understanding and the word on the street is that Nicholl favors drama. I am clearly dead wrong. Thanks for the update and carry on!
            FYI. From the Nicholl FAQs:

Genres of Nicholl Fellows' Entry Scripts -- 1989 - 2006
            action / adventure -- 7
            animated comedy -- 1
            comedy -- 5
            romantic comedy -- 3
            comedy drama - 8
            coming of age drama -- 6
            drama - 25
            romantic drama fantasy -- 2
            horror -- 3
            science fiction - 2
            thriller / crime / caper -- 14
            war / terrorists -- 9
            western -- 3

Comment

Greg - thank you! That is fantastically helpful! You know what would be great, a post on DD of those kinds of stats for all the major competitions. You have time, right?

Thank you again!

Julie Gray

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

So I guess there is not a contest primarily for RomComs...?

Comment

Originally posted by EthanEdwards View Post
                  Thanks for all the info.

So I guess there is not a contest primarily for RomComs...?
                  The PAGE International Screenwriting contest has a separate category for comedy, as well as for action, horror, etc. This is a very well-run contest, and it might be the closest to what you're seeking.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                    FYI. From the Nicholl FAQs:

Genres of Nicholl Fellows' Entry Scripts -- 1989 - 2006
                    action / adventure -- 7
                    animated comedy -- 1
                    comedy -- 5
                    romantic comedy -- 3
                    comedy drama - 8
                    coming of age drama -- 6
                    drama - 25
                    romantic drama fantasy -- 2
                    horror -- 3
                    science fiction - 2
                    thriller / crime / caper -- 14
                    war / terrorists -- 9
                    western -- 3
                    Going by these stats it doesn't look like romcoms have a good chance.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Yeah. I might go so far as to say that the numbers back up Femme's original assertion. 25:3 does seem to indicate a preference for drama. Of course, those numbers don't mean much without knowing what the original pool looked like.

*shrug*
                      "The only reason most scripts are bad is because most people can't write." Leslie Dixon

Comment

thatcomedian says, "Going by these stats it doesn't look like romcoms have a good chance."

-- You go by the percentage of a genre that was entered to the percentage of how many in that genre advanced to gage any genres having a hard time.

For example, if 5% of the entries were Westerns and 5% of the total scripts that advanced were Westerns, then this is good for Westerns. They're on target to performing like they should.

Every genre entered in the Nicholl, with the exception of comedy, performs on target. Comedies under perform, considering they're the second largest genre entered after dramas.

In 2003, in a thread called "Nicholl News" this all gets discussed -- in-depth -- and with a lot of drama.

Here's the link:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...php/t-2637.htm

If you're in a hurry for the drama, then scroll half way down, or click on "View Full Thread" and then click on page 11 of the 17 page thread.

This is when the fireworks start. I took offense to something Deus posted and that's when I joined the thread and went on the attack.
                        Last edited by JoeNYC; 05-12-2007, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X