No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joe9alt
    replied
    Re: Cool events in Philly on April 14th...

Originally posted by velysai View Post
    Bravo! Was that the script he said he had received earlier as a writing sample for an screenplay adaptation of his novel, The Plumber. He thought the script was brilliant but it had depressed him for days, so he decided not to go with that writer. When the guy won, he said he guessed he should have hired him.

I hate those darn depressing dark dramas!

Leave a comment:

• velysai
    replied

Bravo! Was that the script he said he had received earlier as a writing sample for a screenplay adaptation of his novel, The Plumber? He thought the script was brilliant but it had depressed him for days, so he decided not to go with that writer. When the guy won, he said he guessed he should have hired him.

BTW, I'd buy that book if he wrote it. I had no idea that he and his partner hated what the director did with ALI so much. I just read that somewhere.
    Last edited by velysai; 04-19-2007, 04:13 PM. Reason: Punctuation and grammar: typing fast because I was on here when I was supposed to be working!

Leave a comment:

• velysai
    replied

I could have completely misheard him. I had people walking in front of me constantly, coming in late. And the speaker system in the room was total crap.

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied

I thought he said something like, "I don't have any use for screenwriting books and have never read any. That being said, I'm writing one." And everyone laughed.

He sounded like he would be happy to be out of the business. He was saying, "You need to be in Hollywood - you can take my place." I wouldn't be surprised if he put his experiences down in book form after retiring.

Whatever the case, I would love to hear him again.

Leave a comment:

• velysai
    replied

Originally posted by Dean View Post
    Did you catch the screenwriting panel? Stephen is definitely entertaining, though he seemed a little unhappy (he could have been under the weather). Said you have to be in L.A. if you want to be a writer, but hates L.A. and wants out. Said he's never read a screenwriting book and didn't have much use for them, yet is writing one (which I will definitely pick up!). Wished I had stayed for the pitches, if only to hear Stephen.

Good luck with your concept and contact. At least you got up there. I'm too paranoid to pitch in an open forum like that, mainly because my stuff tends to be high-concept.
    I'm fairly certain he was kidding about writing a book, because the last thing he said was, "...if I was writing one" and everyone laughed. He just finished writing for Spielberg on a project he wasn't allowed to discuss due to contractual obligations. He doesn't have time to write a stupid book!

And he explained later when he was handing out the awards that he wasn't feeling well, but he wasn't contagious. He apparently brought his California allergies with him.

Oh, and Joe Gangemi is from Wilmington, Delaware, where I work. I have no idea how he wrote like 6 or 7 scripts and a novel while he was working for DuPont. Not a clue.

It was my first time pitching and it was terrifying. I hate public speaking. Plus it didn't help that I'd been up all night refining the pitch and then I had to freakin' memorize it in the morning. I left things out (I don't think I properly conveyed the theme and I didn't give away the ending in the audition) that I wish I had said, but hindsight is 20/20, and you don't learn that kind of stuff from a book or from a web site. You just have to get up there and give it a shot and if you fail, oh well, you try again. I learned something about myself, too. My family and friends were really impressed with how well I took the rejection. But I was even more impressed! I figured, hey, better get used to it in this business, right?

- Angel

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied

Did you catch the screenwriting panel? Stephen is definitely entertaining, though he seemed a little unhappy (he could have been under the weather). Said you have to be in L.A. if you want to be a writer, but hates L.A. and wants out. Said he's never read a screenwriting book and didn't have much use for them, yet is writing one (which I will definitely pick up!). Wished I had stayed for the pitches, if only to hear Stephen.

Good luck with your concept and contact. At least you got up there. I'm too paranoid to pitch in an open forum like that, mainly because my stuff tends to be high-concept.

Leave a comment:

• velysai
    replied

It was okay. It was interesting to watch. I'd auditioned for it, but had flubbed my pitch due to nerves (but one of the audition judges told me Saturday that my idea definitely had potential, so I'm not discouraged).

Stephen Rivele got frustrated with the pitchers when he had to repeatedly ask how the stories ended. He almost yelled, "Why do I keep having to ask you people how it ends?" And then when he'd hear something he liked, he was like, "Why on earth were you keeping that from us? That's a good idea." It was funny and educational. And this panel asked different questions than the audition panel. They focused on different things.

I think there were a few pretty good ideas (a couple I almost fell asleep during though). I think some of the pitchers got contact info from the people on the panel (I got an email address myself), so who knows if their writing is any good. I wish them luck.

I have to say that the funniest thing I heard was from one of the editors on the morning panel. I think it was Michael DeMirjian. He said (and I paraphrase), "Editors are the single mothers of movies. The director is the father, who gets to have all the excitement and the sex and the passion. Then the editor raises the child, dresses it, and sends it to school. And then the director comes home and yells, 'What the hell did you do?'"

It was a grand ol' time.

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied

So, who attended? I only caught the screenwriter's panel, which was entertaining and informative. Writer Mark Rosenthal became a hero to me when he said that comedy writers are the physicists of screenwriting.

I'm curious to hear how the pitchfest went.

Leave a comment:

• seh
    replied

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
    I've gotta attend a wedding that day.

Stupid wedding.

EJ
    EJ, you see that panel? Unless you are the groom, skip the wedding, and now put Philly in every script you have.

Leave a comment:

• CottonFitzsimmons
    replied

Some more detailed info on these free events has been released...

07 SIP Confirmed Panelists (In alphabetical order) for April 14th SIP events
    STORYTELLING THROUGH FILM EDITING 10:30am-11:30am
    Moderated by Brian Wade- Screenwriter, SIP Coordinator
    Michael DeMirjian - Emmy Award winning editor FOX NFL Under the Helmet; editor of numerous cable television programs, including VH1 Fabulous Life, HGTV Cash in the Attic, Style Network The Brini Maxwell Show, Whose Wedding is It Anyway?
    Fred Raskin- Editor: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, Annapolis; additional editor Better Luck Tomorrow for MTV Films and Punch-Drunk Love; assistant editor (Boogie Nights, Kill Bill)
    Kathy Soulliere- Editor: Saint of 9/11, Stone Reader, Strut and Maggie Growls
    Jeff Wolf - Editor: Holes, Beautiful Girls, The Ref, Billy Madison, Cecil B. Demented, Lake City, Andy Barker PI; Director/Producer/Editor The World Outside: The Life and Art of James Castle.
    SCALING THE CAREER CURVE: Creative Decision Making for Screenwriters 12:30pm-2:30pm
    Presented by Greater Philadelphia Filmmakers and Writers Boot Camp
    Writers Moderated by Andy Stein Script Reader/Screenwriter/Teacher
    Jonathan Estrin - Executive Vice-President of the American Film Institute, Writer-Producer: Cagney & Lacey, Between Friends (HBO) Jasper, Texas (Showtime) EZ Streets, Amazing Grace, Dellaventura, Family Law, the pilot Sisters, and an adaptation of Pat Conroy's novel The Water is Wide (Hallmark Hall of Fame/CBS.)
    Joe Gangemi- Screenwriter: Wind Chill (Revolution Studios), due for release in 2007. Into The Mirror (Regency) starts shooting in spring 2007; Eliza Graves scheduled for production in spring 2007; Inamorata, produced by Johnny Depp.
    Stephen J. Rivele- Academy Award nominated Screenwriter: Ali, Nixon, Copying Beethoven, and the forthcoming: Moneyball and Mr Rickey and Mr Robinson.
    Mark Rosenthal- Screenwriter: Flica and Eragon (both for 20th Century Fox); adapting The Sorcerer's Apprentice for Nicholas Cage at Disney. Other credits include: Mona Lisa Smile, Planet of the Apes
    David Simpatico- Playwright/Screenwriter commissioned to write Truman Capote's In Cold Blood for the stage, adapt Antonya Nelson's novel Nobody's Girl for screen and commissioned by Disney to adapt the animated musical Alice in Wonderland, and the smash-hit television movie High School Musical for the stage. His screenplay Mike's Makeover has been recently optioned.
    PHILLYPITCH! 2:30pm-4pm
    Moderated by Brian Wade- Screenwriter, SIP Coordinator
    Jeffrey D. Erb-President, Kindred Media Group, a film production and distribution company which is releasing five films theatrically: Game 6, On the Outs, Jailbait, Waltzing Anna, and Laura Smiles. Also provided the financing for and produced three films in 2006 and are also involved in overseeing the production of a Peter Iliff (Patriot Games, Varsity Blues, Point Break) film called Locked In.
    David Grasso- Executive Producer, Tycoon Entertainment/President and CEO, Grasso Holdings, Inc.: North Hills in development, Feel and The Lather Effect.
    Christine Weiss Lurie- Producer- Vox3 Films: America Brown, Game 6; Associate Producer I Love You to Death (Chestnut Hill Productions/Larry Kasdan); Most recently, Christina produced Feel, written and directed by Matt Mahurin. She also executive produced Broken English, written and directed by Zoe Cassavetes and Never Forever, written and directed by Gina Kim.
    JC Spink, Producer, Benderspink: A History of Violence, Monster-In-Law, The Butterfly Effect, The Ring, American Pie

--------------Monday, April 16th @ 7:30PM-----------
    READING: "Set in Philadelphia"
    Grand Prize winning screenplay

A professionally cast, unstaged reading of the "Set in Philadelphia" Screenwriting Competition
    2007 Grand Prize winning script.
    Presented by:
    Greater Philadelphia Filmmakers and
    Mike Lemon Casting
    Mike Lemon Casting
    413 N. 7th St., Suite 602
    Philadelphia, PA 19123
    About SIP

"Set In Philadelphia- (SIP), sponsored by the Greater Philadelphia Film Office, is open to all screenwriters, world-wide, who submit an original feature length screenplay set primarily in the Greater Philadelphia Metropolitan Area. All genres will be accepted. Scripts will be judged on their overall quality, and the extent to which they tell a genuine "Philadelphia story.- Greater Philadelphia Filmmakers is proud to have the SIP series as featured events of the Philadelphia Film Festival, (April 5-18, 2007) presented by Philadelphia Film Society.2007 Prizes

Grand Prize for Best Screenplay
    • $10,000 CASH PRIZE
    • Foot in The Door LA Package
    • Notes from High Profile Judges
    • Pass to 2007 Philadelphia Film Festival
    • In kind services
    • National Press
    • Synopsis published on www.film.org
    Chamber of Commerce Regional Award, for best screenplay written by a Greater Philadelphia Resident, to encourage local production:
    • $2,500 CASH PRIZE
    • Notes from High Profile Judges
    • In kind services
    • National Press
    Parisi* Winner for Best Screenwriter 25 years old or under:
    • $1,000 CASH PRIZE
    • In kind services
    • National Press
    *This award is made possible by the generous contribution of screenwriter Stephen J. Rivele (co-author of Academy Award nominated screenplay NIXON, ALI) in honor of his mother, Irene I. Parisi (1925-1964).

Confirmed SIP Judges for 2007 (in alphabetical order):

Elizabeth Banks: Actor (Spider-Man 3, Invincible, Scrubs, The 40-Year-Old Virgin Slither, Seabiscuit, Catch Me if You Can)
    Lisa Cortes: SVP, Production, Lee Daniels Entertainment. Co-Producer (The Woodsman), Producer (Shadowboxer)
    Lee Daniels: President/CEO, Lee Daniels Entertainment.
    Producer/Director (Shadowboxer) Producer (The Woodsman, Monster's Ball)
    Blythe Danner: Tony/Emmy award winning Actor (Meet The Parents, Meet The Fockers, and the recent The Last Kiss)
    Bill Duke: Producer/ Director/Actor: (Cover, shooting in Philadelphia, X-Men3, Get Rich or Die Trying, Yellow, Battlestar Gallactica)
    Jonathan Estrin: VP, American Film Institute, Award-winning writer-producer of such films as Between Friends (HBO), Jasper, Texas (Showtime), The Water is Wide (CBS) and the series Cagney & Lacey
    Joe Gangemi: Screenwriter, Wind Chill (Revolution Studios) starring Emily Blunt, due for release in 2007. Into The Mirror (Regency), to be directed by Alexander Aja; starts shooting in spring 2007; Eliza Graves, to be directed by Mike Van Diem; scheduled for production in spring 2007; Inamorata, to be directed by Peter Medak; produced by Johnny Depp.
    Max Handelman: Writer (Why Fantasy Football Matters (And Our Lives Do Not))
    Lisa Lindstrom: Producer (Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her, Uprising, Mama Flora's Family, Fried Green Tomatoes, Up Close and Personal, Red Corner, The War.) Lisa is currently working on theatre projects in New York.
    Joe Pichirallo: Head of Film Production and Development at Overbrook Entertainment, supervised nearly twenty films all over the world including Antwone Fisher, the directorial debut of Denzel Washington, One Hour Photo starring Robin Williams, and Hollywoodland starring Adrien Brody, Ben Affleck and Diane Lane.
    Mark Rosenthal: Screenwriter: most recent films are Flica and Eragon, both for 20th Century Fox. Also adapting The Sorcerer's Apprentice for Nicholas Cage at Disney. Other credits include: Mona Lisa Smile, Planet of the Apes
    Stephen J. Rivele: Screenwriter, Ali, Nixon, Copying Beethoven, and the forthcoming: Moneyball and Mr Rickey and Mr Robinson.
    Allen Sabinson, Dean, The Antoinette Westphal College of Media, Arts and Design at Philadelphia's Drexel University, former head of programming for A&E, TNT and Showtime and president production for Miramax Films.
    JC Spink, Producer, Benderspink (A History of Violence, Monster-In-Law, The Butterfly Effect, The Ring, American Pie);
    Jeffrey Wolf: Director/Producer/Editor (Editor: Holes, Beautiful Girls, Billy Madison, Cecil B. Demented)
    Dawn Wolfrom: Producer, The Perfect Man with Universal Studios starring Hilary Duff, Heather Locklear, Chris Noth, Carson Kressley and Mike O'Malley; Never Again a Universal Focus release starring Jeffrey Tambor, Jill Clayburgh, Sandy Duncan and Bill Duke; Eric Schaeffer's Wirey Spindell, a Winstar release starring Ugly Betty's Eric Mabius and Callie Thorne.

Leave a comment:

• CottonFitzsimmons
    replied

See below...
    Last edited by CottonFitzsimmons; 04-09-2007, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EJ Pennypacker
    replied

I've gotta attend a wedding that day.

Stupid wedding.

EJ

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied

Thanks for the heads up.

Leave a comment:

• CottonFitzsimmons
    replied

Yup...

http://www.film.org/news/the_art_of_...illypitch_2007

and...

http://www.phillyfests.com/pff/inphiladelphia.cfm
    Last edited by CottonFitzsimmons; 04-04-2007, 07:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• canusaycarpaltunnel
    replied

Cotton,

Is there a website with more information?

Thanks
    Carpal

Leave a comment:

Working...
X