Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Zoetrope

I joined last month because I have heard people talking about it and I really need some advice about my screenplay before embarking on my next rewrite.

I have since done 4 reviews, but I have only gotten one review in return. It was a really great review and the writer gushed over my sp (which was greatly apreciated :lol ), but didn't really offer any advice on making it better.

So my question is, how do I get more people to review it? It says it has 3 reads but only one person actually put in a review.

Are there any "secrets" or is it just a wait and see kind of thing?

Thanks!!

Go on the main message boards and ask for review swaps. Check out the guide to private offices, and zmail the owners of offices that you think are intriguing, ask for invites, and post in those offices, too. The more people you know, the more reviews you'll get.

Jami

Comment

Zoetrope

Like Jami said, definitely arrange some review swaps.

Even still, some people will write one paragraph of fluff while others will give you two or three pages of solid notes.

Comment

Re: Zoetrope

How do I "sell" myself without coming off as vain? I believe that I am a pretty good reviewer. My shortest review was 457 words and my longest was almost 1000. I read the sample reviews and tried to do my best to give that kind of quality in mine. I broke down dialogue, characters, plot and also noted typos and grammatical errors. Ok, now it DOES sound like I'm in love with myself :rollin I promise, I'm not. I just strongly believe in giving quality reviews and having people do the same for me.

Comment

Gosh, Kim, that last sentence sold me! I'll download "I Do's and Don'ts" and would love it if you'd take a look at "Translucent, Not Transparent."

Jami

Comment

Jami, that is so weird. I was looking through the choices today and saw that title. I have no idea why I didn't recognize your name. I was two seconds away from clicking it, but then I decided I would read the rest and see what else was out there. If I remember right, you got a ton of reads, so I'm sure it's a great sp. I can't wait to read it. Thank so much for doing me this favor and reading mine.

Comment

Kim- I'll review your screenplay as soon as I finish with Jami's.

Comment

Kim,

I have already downloaded your script and Jami's new one and will start on them this weekend.

By the way, I recommend Jami's work if you want to review something and get another Zoetrope review credited to you.

I don't know if I will have time to read all of your script, but I will read part of it and give you some feedback. Also, it may be a while, but I will get to it.

Comment

Gotham and Comic...thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

Jami, I'm almost done reading yours. Will write my review in a few hours. Thanks again!!

Comment

I'm also new around here and new on zoetrope. I'll look at your and Jami's stuff as soon as I can.

I'll be posting my first draft next week, hope you give it a glance. I'm so new to this business, I feel like I'm walking blind. Well, not new to writing (2 novels done) but new to screenwriting. And it's a different ball game entirely.

Mel

Comment

Kim,

Posted your review a few hours ago. Gotham and Comic, when am I going to get to read something of yours?

Jami

Comment

Mel, let me know when you submit your script. If you review mine, I'd be more than happy to reciprocate.

Comment

peer reviews

I tried Zoetrope a couple years back. Only one review came back that I found helpful, which I guess made it worth my while. However, in general I don't like sites that require peer reviews.

For one thing, if it's a competition there are way too many people ready to give you the absolute worse marks just so their SP finishes higher. Also, if the writers don't like your comments--assuming your comments were honest--and can contact you, you usually have to suffer through angry responses to the review you post or explanations/excuses as to why they did something a certain way (translation: you didn't get it).

Of the dozen or so scripts I read in a recent peer review site, there was one that was outstanding and I graded it accordingly. Most were really bad. But I noticed that one of the really bad ones (we're talking typos on every page, bland, indistinguishable char's, little conflict, boring dialogue, format disasters, etc) made the next round while the excellent one didn't (thrilling story, excellent execution, a page-turner); how does THAT happen unless people are tanking grades on purpose?

If you're looking to get a couple of good, objective comments, you might get lucky. If you're looking to progress in a contest it might not be worth your time.

Comment

Re: peer reviews

Well, I just read a script on Zoetrope yesterday. It was great. I read a whole bunch some time back. I think only one was really good back then; the rest were very bad.

Yesterday, I picked up "Becoming Ben Cross". It was great. Kind of written like a Poe story. Main character may have a dialogue problem from my perspective, but if read by character, it may work. Some mispellings. I ate the script up.

I haven't submitted anything there yet. I have gotten a stink letter from someone once. One of the scripts was so bad. That my comment was "This is unreadable, and I am stopping here."

The person complained to the staff. I and the staff had a little friendly discussion. After that, I would look around for scripts that had good reviews and read those scripts. It made the reading more fun, and I could be more helpful in my review.

I took a shot the other day and just picked up 5 titles to read. I got lucky on my first script and reviewed it.

I started the second, and it is not good. I read to page 10. I put it down for now.

There are some people who have made some names for themselves there, Zoetrope, and have place or won at decent contests. I think if one continues something like that over a long time; it may one day be a door opener in a conversation.

Comment

Re: peer reviews

Kim,

Like they all say...offer swaps! I received 2 unsolicted reviews (probably from their requireds). I had 7 swaps. 9 reviews isnt too bad and I got a lot of info from them. I could have ahd more but doing 9 reviews isn't easy either.

I would hardly EVER read a script becuase someone was pimping it. Humble or egotistical I just never have the gumption when there are so many willing swaps out there. You can already see how you have some readers here.

Just don't ever worry about the scores they give you (very tough) but take all the good info (especially from the harshest reviews) and think about it. Weed out whats good for you and toss the rest.

Take a mix of new reviewers and old reviewers. Many new reviewers may not know what they are talking about and you may not get much from it (but are in need of reviews themselves), but experienced reviewers (with good ratings) can give you valuable info.

Just be ready as even if you get 10 reviews they may all conflict with each other. The 1st may tell you you have great dialogue the 2nd may tell you it's not believable. So you need to GET a lot of reviews. If everyone mentions the same thing well then maybe there is a problem or something you havent shown well enough.

So get out there and SELL!, SELL!, SELL!

oops, wrong movie

you only get what you give...

good luck

p.s. I'd trade, but mine is just off the read page and I have some reviews for friends to do first

Comment

Working...
                              X