Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ABC/DISNEY TV writers fellowship 2007?

They say 500 words or less so yours should be 500 words or less.

Don't sweat the bio is what I've heard from every single source. Make it solid, but don't waste too much time on it. It's all about the writing sample.

Comment

Originally posted by slashboy View Post
      Again, I'm not saying don't apply. Maybe someone else has more info about it. Ultimately, if it's a good script or you're a good fit as a part of the fellowship group. But, the mandate of this program is not to hire a bunch of white dudes. They can do that on their own.
      What's interesting is that I never really considered this angle until I wrote their version of a 'Letter of Intent' which is Disney-defined as:

Why you are interested in the fellowship and how your voice would add to the diverse landscape that is television and film writing.

It didn't sink in until after I mailed in the application that I should probably have mentioned I'm half-Asian.

pc

Comment

I take it the postmark must be Saturday, June 29th?
        Are you talking about Saturday, June 29th of this year, cause the 29th is today...Friday.
        "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
          They say 500 words or less so yours should be 500 words or less.

Don't sweat the bio is what I've heard from every single source. Make it solid, but don't waste too much time on it. It's all about the writing sample.
          Thanks for the reply! I meant the "biographical summary." They don't actually put a word count on that one in the app materials. Perhaps because it's obvious to everyone but me how long it should be?

Comment

Application emphasized a postmark. Fedex doesn't postmark, although the envelope is dated. Does it matter?

My stupid question for the week.

Comment

Robla, I guess it's a moot point now, but I'm pretty sure the date on the FedEx envelope will count as the equivalent of a postmark.

I had all these plans to have my packet shipped out Thursday afternoon, with two whole days to feel all relaxed and smug. Then I had a family emergency (sick mom) and spent Thursday morning on playing caretaker. So this afternoon was a bit hectic. Fortunately, I already had my script up to par, so I just needed to fine tune and print out the application materials I'd already started working on. Still, the notarizing, running back to my apartment to find and copy my WGA certificate, and dashing to the post office did not make for the most laid-back afternoon I've ever spent.

But it's all behind me now, and I don't have to think about it again for months, so yay. Now back to the other 101 things I need to be doing for my writing career.
              The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

I moved since I entered the contest this year...I also have a different number. I'm guess I'm screwed if I get chosen.

Comment

Is your email address still the same? When I made the semifinals the first time, I had just moved here and had a different phone number. They sent me an email asking me to call them.

Comment

Yes. It is still the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X