X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary P
    replied
    Re: What Is It Worth?

There are a lot of contests out there and I am sure it can be overwhelming. AFF tries to open doors for more than just the final winner. During the conference and festival, we offer second rounders, semi-finalists, and finalists (all of whom are considered the top 10-12%) special incentives like discounts and specific panels. After the competition, AFF tries to really get the word out there about all of those who made it to the top 10-12% of the competition by contacting production companies, managers, and agents with the writers' log lines and contact info. Since the beginning of AFF, 14 years ago, the goal has always been to celebrate the art and craft of screenwriting. We want success for all the talented writers that come through the festival. Of course, we cannot promise anything but every year we work towards providing writers with opportunities to try and break into the industry.

Thank you for all your comments and if anyone has any questions then please feel free to contact me! (If you are interested visit http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/new/success_stories for a list of AFF success stories)

Leave a comment:

• Joaneasley
    replied

If your agent is getting you all the work you want, then you don't need to do anything else that might advance you or bring you more contacts.

There are no guarantees entering will do anything for you, but it might give you new contacts with producers, or with well-connected Los Angeles managers who might think about representing you in cooperation with your agent.

Leave a comment:

• nic.h
    replied

Here's a question - if you already have an agent, would there be any point in entering this kind of thing? I've often wondered about this as my agent isn't US based, but then again, my film will have a better chance at being made here. Or at least developed. But, on the other hand, it is an international festival and has lots of cachet around the world, so...

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Scribble
    replied

I got offers from two agents that I met at Austin, and I signed with one of them. It's a good conference, but you have to hustle. Agents and producers don't come to you. You have to go to them.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Q
    replied

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
    In my experience, not much. I placed a few times and it was like the tree falling in the woods.
    So you're saying if a script falls in the woods and no-one's around it DOESN'T make a sound. Thanks for clearing up that 2,000 year old mystery. Do you happen to know the sound of one hand clapping?

Leave a comment:

• NoNeckJoe
    replied

What is it worth?

In my experience, not much. I placed a few times and it was like the tree falling in the woods. Placing in the Nicholl however got me numerous reads at heavyweight companies and ultimately a reputable manager.

But in fairness, if you WIN Austin, doors will certainly open. A member of my writing group won the teleplay section last year and it definitely got her some much deserved attention. I myself entered again this year, but only because I'm going to win the damn thing!

Leave a comment:

• Mary P
    started a topic What Is It Worth?

What Is It Worth?

"My impression of the AFF is that it's one of the few competitions that can get some attention for scripts that advance. And you don't need to win the competition to have some great results. So when I felt I had a script that was worth sending out, the AFF was on my short list."
    -2006 Semi-Finalist, Dwayne McKenzie

AFF talks with Dwayne about being at the Austin Film Festival the Conference this past October and being selected for the 2007 Writers' Ranch. Check out the complete interview at http://austinfilmfestival.blogspot.com/ .

2007 SCREENPLAY COMPETITION DEADLINE :
    Screenplay Early Postmarked Deadline: May 15, 2007($40 entry fee)
    Screenplay Late Postmarked Deadline: June 1, 2007 ($50 entry fee)
    Teleplay Postmarked Deadline: June 1, 2007 ($30 entry fee)

14th ANNUAL AUSTIN FILM FESTIVAL TO BE HELD OCTOBER 11-18, 2007
Working...
X