Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television Writing Contests

I am working on trying to beef up our prizes for the Television Categories. What sort of things do you look for in a television contest? Access? Money?

I am going to try to get one of the winners a week long internship on a sitcom? Is that helpful or do most of you already have the insiders knowledge of how the system works?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Mercurio
    [email protected]
    www.expocompetition.com

Re: Television Writing Contests

Limiting it to one week is a drawback.

It would be better if the writer could be present for the entire process from pitching the script to breaking the story in the writers room to shooting and editing the episode. This would offer the greatest learning opportunity.

Many of the better writers will have worked in TV in some capacity already, so a week on a TV show won't do them a great deal of good. A season long internship would offer some enticing possibilities.

The question is, how would the Expo approach differ from or resemble the existing internship programs like Warners and CBS Diversity? If they're offering several weeks' long opportunities for writers to sit in on writers rooms and even participate in story breaking, a week's internship doesn't seem rewarding by comparison.

If you want to go in a different direction from the existing internship programs, why not look into producing short shows for the web. The winning writers would write and produce, with aid and supervsion of course, a series of 5 or 10 minute webisodes. Just for giggles, let's say 5 minutes for sitcoms and 10 minutes for drama. Twelve episodes for each show sounds like a good number, though it might be prohibitively expensive.

Placing severe budget restrictions on these productions would be necessary of course, but also an important part of the learning process. No one ever has enough time or money to do everything they want.

If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Jim,

a week long internsHip at "staff salary" is what it's all about.

Odoc- as per usual -- is right though -- lets see something produced that is web-based and that could be a show.

Unfortunatly, my spec sitcom pilot that I produced and entered into NYTF doesn't split up nicely into a webisode (part of the reason is that spec tv pilots -- as you know, dont naturally split that way). However -- I did find a fantastic series on you tube (which I'm a little Jealous of) called God.com. It basically splits the concept of Heaven into compartmentalized Office duties (hint: there is a "miracles" department and a "prayers" department).

If I was an exec, I would go balls to the wall for that series.
      Last edited by ylekot43; 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM. Reason: SPELLING -- AND IT'S STIL ALL WRONG
      "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

For a minute I thought this was a new reality game show....

A televised writing contest.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I am working on trying to beef up our prizes for the Television Categories. What sort of things do you look for in a television contest? Access? Money?
          - Agent/manager requests.

- Mentorship?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
            - Agent/manager requests.

- Mentorship?

EJ
            I agree with EJ. One week thing is not long enough or worthwhile.

Comment

Jim -

I'll take the internship

David

Comment

Working...
              X