Semi vs Quarter Finalists- Which is better?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi vs Quarter Finalists- Which is better?

Just curious.

Semi's are better. I guess that means a certain someone's was twice as good as a certain someone else's.

Comment

Semi vs Quarter

Being a Finalist is even better. That makes them three times better than the quarterfinalist. Or is it four times better?... hmm...

Comment

Re: Semi vs Quarter

Goth, you were kidding when you asked that, weren't you?

Comment

In this business? Neither is.

This ain't tennis. :evil

Comment

Without additional reference, the answer to my question was not readily apparent to me.

Comment

just for the future, semi is half, quarter is one fourth, there you go.

Comment

I'm assuming the quarter-finalists are the top 25% in a competition. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If so, if you were in the top half of a contest, that wouldn't be as good as being in the top 25%.

But I believe it's "demi," rather than "semi," that means half. I'd say semi-finalist means something more like "almost-the-finalist,"
                and it is, therefore, better than being a quarter-finalist.

Comment

Quarter Vs Semi

I can actually understand the logic of the question.

Semi often denotes half (a deritive of semi-circle? i.e. half a circle). So it only seems logical that a quarter (a smaller quantity than a half) must mean that you're in the last quarter of entrants within the competition.

However, looking at the semantics: "semi-finalist" means you're half the writer a finalist will be, whereas "quarter-finalist" must mean you're a quarter of a writer of a finalist.

Ahhh... the ambiguity of the English language

Comment

Re: Quarter Vs Semi

Most Quarterfinalists in reputable contests represent top 10% at least.

I don't know the exact etymology of the terms, but think of a competition tree for an Athletic event. Two teams battle for 1st place in the Final. The round before, 4 teams (2 pairs of teams) compete; each pairing will contribute half of the Final (hence Semifinals). One round earlier, 8 teams (4 pairs) compete - each pairing produces one of the four that advances to the next round, or a "quarter" of the Final.

Comment

Are you by chance referring to the Nicholl? If so, the quarterfinalist group is around the top 5%, and the semifinalist group, top 2.5%.

k

Comment

I was asking in reference to Zoetrope.

Comment

I meant top 10% or better, speaking generally.

Comment

With Zoetrope, the quarter-finalist and up represent the top 9% of submitted scripts.

Comment

Zoetrope quarters

Actually the Zoetrope quarterfinalists were the top 5%, as there were around 100 quarterfinalists and around 2000 entries.

I know this because I made the quarters and I counted.

Quarterfinalists representing the top 5% is fairly standard--it's roughly the same for the Nicholl Fellowship.

Comment

Working...
                              X