Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest Winners (and near winners) Unite

If you enter enough contests you can't help but notice some recurring names. I've seen my script win one contest only to be beaten by the third place script in another. Which is fine of course, but leads me to wonder about the other writer. How many phone calls did THEY get after the contest? What kind of feedback did they get? How does their work compare to mine? What's better? What needs work? In short -- I would love to contact some of my fellow writers to talk about what it is we do and how we could do it better.

Nicholl Fellowship Semi-Finalists. Script Magazine Finalists. Countless others! We are all set against each other in these contests, but what if we were to come together occasionally to compare notes? Perhaps we could help each other reach that next level of quality.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

While we are reluctant to post our names on a public forum like this, perhaps there is some way we could set up some kind of "contact center"? Any ideas people?

Undercover Writer

If you do eventually get this community going I'd like to join. Just entered quite a few contests myself and I'd be interested in the network as well. Maybe you can spearhead this and start a yahoo group or something. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Undercover,

Check your inbox, I sent you a message.

Comment

If someone keeps me posted on this we might (as a site) be able to provide some type of support.

Comment

Will,

That's good to hear! Any suggestions? Is there a way for writers to gather using their real names without having them posted publicly? A kind of private forum? Or is that too much to expect? I'm not so familiar with Yahoo Groups. Will that do the trick?

Undercover Writer

Comment

You'd probably have to jump through a few hoops to set up something like this. If you want, drop me an email and I can give you a few suggestions and thoughts that way.

Comment

There's a website and Yahoo group for writers who have placed in a major national contest:

TheWrtiersList.org

groups.yahoo.com/group/thewriterslist

If anyone wants to join, just email the site's coordinators at [email protected].

Comment

Did anything come of this? Is there a site in the works?

Comment

Contest winners/placers group

Boobsie et al,

I did request to join the group mentioned above, got a reply asking for my credentials, sent them, haven't heard back yet.

If anyone's interested in doing something additional per the original suggestion, I'd be up for participating, especially if it was TV-focused (or at least not TOO heavily feature-focused).

T.

Comment

Re: Contest winners/placers group

I agree, T.

You've got my email. Perhaps we should do it ourselves?

Comment

I replied to the yahoo group as well and am still waiting. I'd also like to get something off the ground on this but am still unsure how to get it started. Any more ideas to be tossed out there? Would a simple private email group be enough? (skip yahoo groups etc all together). Who would start it? How do we verfiy it? Questions ... questions .. questions ...

Undercover Writer

Comment

might have option

i am part of delphi forums, and since i already have some groups i moderate i could easily add another.

i could make the group private, but then someone would have to take care of emails and letting me know who to approve.

i was a finalist in a contest that is associated with the Toronto film festival.

let me know we could give it a spin. i could put the whole thing together fairly quickly, i think in a few days.

let me know what you think.

Grace

Comment

I think MovieBytes.com already has something like this...

There's a section there where writers can list their award winning scripts (for free) for producers to access, and also a section that provides contest "report cards." Many of the finalists/winners also post in their free message board forum--using their real names. If you're looking for a place contest contestants and "placers" congregate, might be worth checking out.

Edited to add: I should have made this clear. Writers do not post their award winning SCRIPTS but rather only the loglines, which contest(s) they placed in, contact info., etc. Anyhow, there is a good bit of contest-related discussion there, tho you all may already know this and be seeking something different.

Comment

Working...
                          X