Clear All

• Second-tier contests

Consensus seems to be that the premier contests are:

Nicholl
    Sundance
    Chesterfield
    Disney
    Austin

What are some of the second-tier contests that are respected, provide real exposure, and are NOT primarily some company's scheme to raise revenue?

gruss

I, and I doubt many others, can or will come out and say this or that contest will or will not help your career. For one thing, ANYTHING that keeps you focused on improving your craft is good, and goals prepare you for the day you receive time constrained assignments, if that day ever arrives. I'm still waiting myself, but things look better every week.

There are many who will tell you that in the greater picture, contests are of no use politically; i.e. you are scoring as the best of the worst, but still leave no measure of how you compete with the writers who are consistently working.

Having said that, you did indeed name the ones with, for lack of a better word, clout. The ones that may lead to getting production of your work would of course be desirable.

I personally do not participate. But I respect those who do. I spend my money on whatever it takes to get around those who can help my craft and advance my career forward in the very political game of entertainment.

good luck

Comment

Second-tier contests

Some "second tier" contests would probably be Scriptapalooza, Fade In and Writer's Network. Maybe one or two others, but beyond that you're in the bush leagues.

How much "exposure" any of these will give you is questionable.

Check out moviebytes.com for reviews of all these contests.

Comment

second tier

I think that there are some really great second tier competitions. Some may even qualify for first tier....

I like Scripapalooza, WriteMovies.com, and Hollywood's Next Success. All three of these have a good track record for doing really good things for the winners.

Comment

Working...
        X