Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinescape Contest Status

Has anyone heard the status on this contest?

re: Cinescape Contest Status

They posted the finalists on the website, under "Press" I think. Not that they made any effort to notify participants. Winners are announced at the festival.

Comment

Re: re: Cinescape Contest Status

That's last year's, not this year's. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Comment

Re: re: Cinescape Contest Status

The finalist list is dated September 6, 2003.

Comment

Based on the winners...

Apparently these guys only like horror. Guess I should have known from the skull and bloody knife in their banner art.....

But they really should have just called it a horror competition.

Comment

Re: Based on the winners...

No, any of those three genres of scripts were considered actually. It's just that with this year's group the best scripts happened to end up being mostly the horror ones. Equal consideration was given to all three of the genres the contest looked to promote. The artwork had nothing to do with what the contest or judges chose to honor.

And as for contacting everyone, yes that would be great. Absolutely. But it's still only the second year for the contest and there are not enough people able to work on it yet to write hundreds and hundreds of people back. Hopefully by next year Cinescape will be able to hire a bigger staff and do even more.

Comment

A mass e-mailing of a standard letter would work too.

Comment

Sure. That would too. But even typing in ALL the emails and creating a database takes a bit of work.

It's definitely something I think they'll be working on, though.

Comment

Yeah, it would take a couple hours. Definitely too much work, considering we only paid $30 or $40 to enter and got no coverage...

Comment

A couple of hours? It'll take much more time than that. Going through each entry and adding in their info, e-mail and all is time consuming especially when you're talking about hundreds upon hundreds of entries.

And as for coverage you'd need to pay inifinitely more to cover those costs. Coverage alone in this town generally runs $50 to $60 a script. Trust me, no one (Cinescape) is making any money off this. It's a money losing venture basically. At some point I hope they can clear their costs so it can continue and they add and or offer more.

Comment

I don't expect coverage, but I do think that SOME sort of notification to participants is a reasonable expectation, and standard practice for respectable competitions.

Comment

Again, you are right as I noted above. I think it's definitely something they will work on. Without the resources and man power it was simply necessary to go with update posts on the site and then direct e-mail notifications to the finalists.

If they do it all again next year then they will hopefully be able to do emails or even letters to all. I'll pass on the suggestions/recommendations to them.

Comment

I received an Honorable Mention in this contest.

Comment

Hmmm...

Hconn, congrats.

It can't be difficult to do an email form letter. Look at the query letter companies out there. They spam a 1000 companies in a minute.

Any success stories this year? I know last year didn't hold any. Also how many entered this year?

Comment

Re: Hmmm...

Since they haven't released numbers yet I'll leave it up to them to do so. But it did okay particulary considering the name change and it being mixed in with the whole festival.

And yes... again... email letters aren't that difficult to -- it's creating the database of all the e-mails that takes time. Try reading through the forms and figuring out some people's handwriting, for example. When you have limited resources even a task like an e-mail list becomes tough. It's a second year for them. I'm pretty sure if three comes along it will only improve and they'll do more things like that, which are good to do of course.

It's a bit too early for any "success" stories at this point. The winners were just announced a few days ago. Though the guys who won the feature film contest has already gotten some interest so we'll see. And a couple of the scripts that were well written might see representation and even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X