Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenwriting Expo

Is anybody familiar with the Screenwriting Expo 2 contest?
    I went to fill out their application, and they ask you to check in which genre your script fits. Problem is, neither of my screenplays fit the genres they list. Do they only want certain types of scripts or???

This is just a secondary part of the contest. There is a major contest and then this part is for the genre who have a tougher time of winning in the majors (anything other than drama, really). It's a freebee so, don't worry. They have so many prizes that they want to spread them around.

If you don't win thou - you should still go to the Expo - lots of good stuff and they also gave away a lot of door prizes last year....some worth thousands :eek No kidding.

Comment

On-Line Registration is now available through their website....

Comment

What's the url, guys?

Comment

There's a big banner ad up there ^ - click on it.

I'll be teaching 4 workshops this year.

I'm also doing a Friday night (7:30) workshop at SHOWBIZ Expo at the end of this month at the LA Convention center. I think it's called HIGH CONCEPT WITH SOUL.

- Bill

Comment

Re: Screenwriting Expo 2003

The Home Page Link
            Registration Page
            Pitch Fest List of People

The networking shindig on [email protected] sounds like a good place to meet up with other DDers.

Actually, who is going? Maybe we can all grab dinner somewhere and such?

Comment

Thanks. Do you know if Screenwriting Expo 1 has a web site? I've been searching through Yahoo, and all I get is the #2 contest.

Comment

Screenwriting Expo 1+2 site are one in the same they just updated all their info....

Comment

Looks through some of the seminars that are listed, any suggestions on which ones would be worth attending?

Comment

expo contest

The form says there is a main contest - plus an addition genre contest. If your script doesn't fit any of the genres listed, you're still in the main contest.

- Bill

Comment

We (hubby & I) booked our accommodation today actually and will register later this week for the Expo. We didn't go last year but are looking forward to this year's (sounds great value for the $ from what I've heard thus far). Also hoping to take part in the networking evening if we can get our registrations in in time.

I would really be interested to hear what kinds of experiences folks had with the Pitch Fest and also with the Screenwriting Tournament as we're definitely going to register for those.

Cheers!

Comment

My seminar at Expo 2

If you're going to "Screenwriting Expo 2" (Oct. 17-18-19) in L.A., I will be conducting a seminar on Fri. the 17th at 10 a.m. I believe it's a 90-minute session.

Topic and description, as per p. 12 of the brochure booklet:

==================================

"The Magic of the Midpoint"

A noticeable "Midpoint" can make plotting and writing Act 2 much easier. It can make the plot more effective and the structure sturdier. Many "readers," development execs, producers, and directors look for a midpoint twist or turning point. This seminar cites numerous examples, and twelve oft-seen criteria of midpoints.

==================================

I'll also discuss what to do if the movie would be considerably shorter or longer than 2 hours, since execs normally expect to see a midpoint-type event at around 60 minutes.

And I'll have a number of film-clip (DVD) examples.

There will be time to also go into another structural matter, one not discussed in any of the screenwriting books -- a bit of a bonus.

So check out www.screenwritingexpo.com if you're interested.

And if you do go to the Expo -- even if you don't see my seminar -- do try to drop by afterward (to my seminar room) to say hello.

Jeff Newman
                        storynotes.com

Comment

Re: My seminar at Expo 2

Jeff

Not to jump the gun on your talk, which I think I signed up for, I'll have to check again. Man, there is a lot to choose from.

I've been told by repped writers that 60 minutes is pretty much a mid or turning point in anything over 120 minutes, unless you have a true 3 hour epic with a 2 act second act.

I have analyzed a pile of DVD's and have the one hour mark to hold very true within one or two minutes.

What think you?
                          Thanks

REMb

Comment

Screenwriting Expo- Martell's Classes

This year they expect 4,000 - so if you want to take one of my classes, sign up early! Here's what I'll be teaching...

Friday @ 10:00am
                            CREATING PLOTS TWIST & SUSPENSE

How to keep the reader on the edge of their seat with the 4 types of suspense, focus objects, create anticipation, use diversion, and different techniques for creating plot twists. All practical take-home-and-use-it stuff. (Class #1244)

The class sign up:
                            65.61.183.178/product.asp...=218&3=243

Friday @ 5:00pm
                            DYNAMIC DIALOGUE

Two dozen techniques for creating amazing dialogue. Using jargon, slang, different voices for each character, creating new words, remove exposition and OTN dialogue. Whether you are a beginner or a pro, this class focuses on techniques that you can use today. The $ from this class goes to Scriptwriter's Network - an actual registered non-profit organization I've been a member of for 13 years. (Class #1161)

The class sign up:
                            65.61.183.178/product.asp...=222&3=168

Saturday @ 3:00pm
                            VISUAL STORYTELLING

Friday I give a class on words, Saturday it's pictures! How to *show* character through actions. Dozens of techniques to show *character* through action and decision. How to tell your *story* with pictures... because a picture is worth a thousand words. Film is a visual art - is your story told visually? (Class #1163)

The class sign up:
                            65.61.183.178/product.asp...=220&3=170

Saturday @7:00pm
                            YOU HAVE THE WRONG IDEA!

How to find the *right* idea before you write 110 pages with the wrong one. From creating high concepts Hollywood will buy that are *still* deeply personal, to finding unusual ideas, making sure you have a deadline, high stakes, and a string EMOTIONAL hook to your idea. Check out the current issue of Scr(I)pt Magazine for a preview of this class!

The class sign up:
                            65.61.183.178/product.asp...=217&3=169

So be a half hour late to the Networking party and take my class!

When I'm *not* teaching classes I'll probably be at the Scr(I)pt Magazine table hawking subscriptions and autographing copies of my book. Stop by and say hi.

- Bill

Comment

Midpoint seminar (reply to Rembrandt)

Rembrandt Writes writes:

"I've been told by repped writers that 60 minutes is pretty much a mid or turning point in anything over 120 minutes, unless you have a true 3 hour epic with a 2 act second act.

"I have analyzed a pile of DVD's and have [found] the one hour mark to hold very true within one or two minutes.

"What think you?"

Well, I can guide you toward an answer without giving away too much of the seminar, since this aspect of the midpoint discussion will occupy only about 5% of the seminar time devoted to the overall topic.

But first, let me ask you a friendly, kind-of-kidding question:

Why aren't you trusting the evidence you see before your eyes?

You've analyzed a number movies, and made a distinct observation. So why your question?

Let me speculate. It could be (a) you're testing my expertise on the subject ("let's see if this guy knows what he's talking about"), or (b) you haven't analyzed that many movies for this (it was a small pile of DVDs), or (c) while you've made a clear-cut observation and arrived at an answer, you have a feeling that there is more to the story.

And of course, it could be two or even all three of the above options.

Well, I don't know about (a) or (b), but (c) is definitely true, in the sense that "there is more to the story."

To clarify, we're not talking here about films that are just 10 minutes one way or another of 120 minutes. Because in those cases, the chronological midpoint already coincides with the "top of the hour" (60 min.) point within a few minutes anyway.

After all, rarely does a midpoint happen all in the space of 30 seconds or a minute. Sometimes, yes, but often it's an event or series of closely related and consecutive events that begins, say, at 55 minutes and concludes at 60. Or which begins at 60 and concludes at 65. (Or anything in between).

So if the film is 110 minutes, the chronological mp would be 55 minutes. And if an mp event begins there, and concludes at 59 or 60 minutes, then it adheres both to chronological as well as "top of the hour" timing.

Same thing for a movie that lasts 130 minutes. Its chron. mp is 65 min. So if the mp event begins at 60 or 61 min. and concludes at 64 or 65, again, it's fulfilling both chron. and the 60-min. factors.

But you're speaking about movies that are, say, 2-25 min. 145 min. Well over 2 hours, but not a 3-hour epic.

Well, you've made a valid observation. Most of the time, in commercial, mainstream movies that are distinctly over the 120 mark, there is a mp kind of event at the 60-min. point, give or take 5 min. either way (usually, as you've noted, within a minute or two either way, but others vary within 5 min one way or another -- thus, a 10-minute window).

Is there more to the story?

Well, take out that pile of DVDs. And now see what happens at the chronological midpoint.

And we'll go from there ...

Jeff Newman

In my 90-minute "The Magic of the Midpoint" Expo 2 seminar, I define midpoints, reveal 12 oft-seen criteria for midpoints, and show and discuss a number of examples (as well as discuss midpoints in movies distinctly shorter or longer than 120 min.).

It costs just $4 plus the cost of the overall 3-day conference-expo ($59.95, which includes a 1-year Creative Screenwriting subscription, or $29.95 for current Creative Screenwriting subscribers). To register for my seminar (and if you haven't already, for the Expo), go to:

65.61.183.178/product.asp...=218&3=242

Comment

Working...
                              X