Has anyone heard from the Austin Film Festival yet?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard from the Austin Film Festival yet?

Has anyone who entered a screenplay in the Austin Film Festival this year heard yet about where they placed in the contest?

Re: Has anyone heard from the Austin Film Festival yet?

A few years ago I remember getting semi-finalist notification on Aug 30. But if the fest dates have changed...so would their notifcations. Probably another week or 2 until we hear something.

Comment

I've entered three times in the last few years. The first time they told me I was a second rounder in time for me make plans to go the festival. The second time I didn't get the letter until a month after the festival. And then three years ago, I had to email three times before they sent me an email letting me know. For whatever reason, they suck at informing in a timely manner.

Comment

Last year, the letters came out the week before Labor Day. I sent Austin an e-mail letting them know I moved and the competition director responded (promptly) thanking me and letting me know we'd get notification in the last week of August.
        Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Some peeps at ZOE talked to them and they said they were in the process of mailing letters out yesterday and today, but all you really need to know is:

I Won
          You Lost

Just kidding, the script I entered has way too many intricate twists and turns to ever win a contest--well I should say make it out of the first round--it could win if it makes past that, but if a reader is on their 10th script of the day or 30th of the week it's only natural they'd be in skim mode and miss some key little points that come back into play 30 pages later--thereby creating a "what the?" when they get there.

So why enter? Cause it's one of the few major contests that has a strctly comedy section. So in this case I just gotta hope for a reader who takes their gig very seriously or being the first or second script of the day.

Comment

I believe semi-finalists should be getting a phone call in the next week or so. I'm not sure, but I think second-rounders get letters.

As for past notification problems, that sounded like it happened some years ago and, as you might guess, personnel change over the years. Both last year's and this year's competition directors are very good in my opinion, and timely.

I might add, that even if you're second-rounder, you might find it worth going to the festival. There are smaller panels just for second-rounders, semi-finalists and finalists every day.

Comment

I echo what Dscribe said about going as a second rounder. I made it to the second round last year (basically, the letter said I didn't make it past the second round, but BTW I had actually made it to the second round) and went for the first time. It's a fantastic experience even if you don't advance in the contest. You make a lot of useful contacts and learn a lot, plus it's just a lot of fun. I'm planning on going even if I don't advance in the contest this year.

Comment

I've entered Austin for the first time this year and was wondering how this notification works. Are the letters sent to the finalists only or does everyone get notified as to their status?
                Thanks for helping the new guy...
                Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.
                It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I believe everyone gets a letter, except those advancing to the semi-finals get a phone call.

Comment

Thanks for the response, Dscribe. At least I have an idea of what to expect now, so I'll go and set up a lawn chair at the mailbox and wait...
                    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.
                    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I called yesterday (Monday, 8/27) and was told letters were being mailed that day. So some time this week, I presume.

Comment

Does anyone know why they don't post the results on their website?

Comment

They've posted the semi-finalists (and then finalists) lists on the web site, but last year it took a couple of weeks.

Comment

Ok, here's what happened. I called the Austin Film Fest on Monday and was told letters were going out that day (8/27). I called again today and a different person told me letters were going out today and tomorrow (8/29 - 8/30), so I figured the first person was wrong.

But today (8/29) when I got home I got a letter from Austin saying one of the two scripts I entered didn't make the second round.

So letters must have gone out on Monday to reach me today from Austin (I'm in San Diego). Which probably means what went out on Monday were the bad letters, and what got mailed today are the good letters.

My logic is unassailable.

Comment

Let's say a good letter leaves Austin travelling at 70mph on Monday the 27th. And a bad letter leaves Austin travelling at 50mph on Wednesday the 29th. However the extra mass of the good letter (due to the higher quality of ink, gold foil stamp, and the increased number of glowing words) results in it's aerodynamic wind resistance being faulty. Under these circumstances...and assuming no outside forces act upon the momentum of either letter...is it logical to assume that I still won't have an agent when the whole damn thing is over?

Comment

Working...
                              X