Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl FINALS

Is it too early to begin obsessing about the finals? Depends on your medication I guess, but I'm starting now.

The FAQ page says that finalists will be notified in "early October." I found a press release from Nicholl announcing last year's finalists, dated October 5th (a Thursday in 2006). So apparently when they say early October, they mean it.

Which is why I confidently predict that by Friday, October 5th this year, we will all know our finalist status in the Nicholl Fellowship.

Re: Nicholl FINALS

The press release may have gone out on Oct. 5th, but the phone calls to the finalists will likely occur a week prior to that. Then after the non-finalists are notified via mail (or thereabouts) the press release is issued and the finalists' Inboxes immediately begin to overflow.

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
      The press release may have gone out on Oct. 5th, but the phone calls to the finalists will likely occur a week prior to that. Then after the non-finalists are notified via mail (or thereabouts) the press release is issued and the finalists' Inboxes immediately begin to overflow.

Being notified a week prior would mean getting a call on or soon after september 28th, in just over 3 weeks. You see, I was right to begin obsessing!

Comment

You people are killing me. It's hard enough to wait for a piece of mail. Now I have to obsess during the week prior that every day that goes by without a phone call makes it that much more likely that I didn't make it. Jeez.

BTW, how do we know that the finalists calls take place a week earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by MrHale View Post
          You people are killing me. It's hard enough to wait for a piece of mail. Now I have to obsess during the week prior that every day that goes by without a phone call makes it that much more likely that I didn't make it. Jeez.

BTW, how do we know that the finalists calls take place a week earlier?
          Because the guy that said it was a finalist.

Comment

So I'm in the presence of greatness??? Man, I've got to be nicer to people.

Comment

Yeah, right. If you only knew. I think I'm just yesterday's news now. And especially in a few more weeks time.

If it helps at all (and this probably will only make matters worse since they might not do things the same way), I may have received my phone call from Greg around Sept. 27th. But I was in New Zealand at the time, so things were a bit upside-down (and a day ahead on the calendar).

Comment

Gee THANKS, Visvivalaw for starting this thread and upping my stress level exponentially. I was really trying NOT to obsess about the finals, at least for a few more weeks. But noooooooooo. Now there's this countdown in my head, and nervous looks at the telephone. Ach. I have to go lie down.

Late Night Writer

Comment

You guys/gals are funny.

The waiting was probably easier for me because I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I wasn't going to be a finalist. I couldn't believe I was named a semi and felt extremely fortunate that the planets had aligned and I got the luck of the draw with some of the readers that might have shared the same story sensibilities. So I kinda put the whole thing out of my mind. Really.

That is, until Greg called.

And when my wife told me he phoned, my first thought was: "I thought they were only going to phone the finalists. Why's he calling me?" And then it hit me and I decided to curl up in the fetal position at work and not talk to anyone.

So the answer to your stress is simple: Just put the whole thing completely out of your mind. It's easy.

Comment

See - that was my plan. To just put it out of my head. And I had put it out of my head until I made the semis. Because I simply did not expect to get that far. But you're right. I suck. I am not making the finals. No reason to believe I will. it ludicrous. ridiculous even to think about. What was I thinking? Congrats to all the other semifinalists and good luck, because this is where I get off the bus.

Phew. That feels better.

Comment

Okay, so now I need to start obsessing about the cut off date, as in if I DON'T receive a call by, say, October 1st, then I didn't make the finals. Probably.

Sorry for sharing my OCD with everyone but it does make me feel better to talk about it.

Comment

Of course we're gonna think about it...this is big and thinking big is human nature and also somewhat mainlined into the DNA of a writer.

It really is the way we think about it, though...

I say, think positive. Be humble. Be confident, don't be cocky.

But certainly envision yourself advancing.

I'm not talking about THE SECRET type mumbo jumbo.

Just think about how hard you've worked on your script...about how much of yourself you've put into it...about the journey you've taken with it and the road still to come.

Think about how much you deserve this.

Think about how you've prepared yourself to recognize the legit opportunities that will come with this and ultimately capitalize on them.

Don't think you aren't good enough.

Don't think you've come as far as you're gonna go.

Don't NOT believe.

Ever.
                        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Good advice, Joe. Thanks.

Comment

Pretty much every writer is either OCD or nuts in some other way.

Just a friendly reminder --

While being a Nicholl finalist is a heady ride and will validate you, at least in the eyes of many in the business, NOT being a finalist doesn't invalidate you or your work. It's been mentioned before, but there have been scripts that failed to make it past the first round in one competition (like Austin) yet went on to be a finalist script in another (like the Nicholls).

I say this because there are a fair number of terrific writers competing for too few slots -- ten, maybe eleven finalists.

Competitions are subjective to a certain extent. But so is the business.

That said --

The Nicholl Fellowship IS the gold standard, and those of you who placed in the quarters, the semis, or soon the finals, should take great pride in that.

And if you're done for this year -- put it behind you.

Or if you're still in -- put the next step out of your mind.

So that you can focus on the script you're currently writing. Because you're not just sitting by the phone waiting for Greg to call -- you're writing your next great script.

Right?

Comment

I was a finalist in 2005. We didn't get the call until October 17, a day etched forever in my memory. Good luck y'all.

C

Comment

Working...
                              X