Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scriptwriters network

Anyone know if they are more oriented toward film or television writing? I know it costs to join, and we have to submit a writing sample, but I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile organization.

Re: scriptwriters network

I've been a member for almost 3 years and its very worthwhile. There is a bit of a bias toward features but several of us televison writers in the group are working on changing that.

For example, the script contest for features is run six times a year while the television contest is run only once. If you do write features, it's a great, inexpensive way to get feedback from two readers on your script. And there's an even deeper discount when you're a member.

Plus there's a script library and the speakers every month are outstanding. This is one of the few groups where you don't have to pay extra to go to meetings in addition to your yearly dues.

I suggest you come to one meeting and check it out. If you join that day, your nonmember meeting fee will be applied towards your membership. In anticipation of that, make sure to bring a script with you because they must see one in order to let you join. It's not for content, just to see that you know the scriptwriting form and have written something.

Hope that helps.

Shaleatha

Comment

I've been a member for almost 17 years (yikes!) - though they probably focus more on features, there are TV subgroups. One thing that probably helps the TV writers is the amount of cross-over between the two - so, when Simon Kinberg came to talk, he came from the set of his new TV series.

I regularly pimp the network, because if you don't know anybody in town, you suddenly get to know w bunch of people who share your interests.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

i guess i'll play devil's advocate here. the problem with the group is that it can take a while before your script is reviewed and the degree of writing know-how can vary greatly so you will get a bunch of meaningless notes.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. You've given me some fine insight. I think with script competitions, it's always hit or miss. Some readers aren't necessarily bad, they just don't like the material. A woman in my writers group wrote a wonderful script and got some of the most bizarre, negative notes I have ever seen from a SWN competition. Then, she entered the same script, again to SWN, and with different readers got an enthusiastic response. I'm getting my material ready for next year. And likely the year after that.

Comment

Working...
          X