Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expo 2007

If it's happening today, I would think it would be posted shortly. Otherwise, Monday perhaps?

Comment

I'm sure it's not today. I emailed the competition and asked if today (9/28) was the day. They wrote me back and said, "Give us less than a week."

So by next Thursday at the latest, I guess.

Comment

Dear God. I REALLY hope it isn't THAt long. I'm anxious enough as it is.

Comment

All due respect to the Expo, this is not a "huge contest" and it's certainly not "the biggest".

Jim Mercurio can talk about the prize money all he wants, but this contest simply isn't in the same league as Nicholl or Austin.

(Not that I wouldn't like to win it.)

Comment

Last year I think they posted results on a Saturday, so it's not out of the question that they could be posted during the weekend.

Comment

Subscribing to this thread + Instant e-mail notification + Yahoo messenger e-mail alert = No more compulsive checking.

Comment

hey, you're making me nervous hobbledehoy.

And you're writing is a bit different. I don't know about the courageousness of these competitions. I suspect they travel a timid road.

Have you had it read by any producers yet?

Comment

Originally posted by maralyn View Post
                  hey, you're making me nervous hobbledehoy.

And you're writing is a bit different. I don't know about the courageousness of these competitions. I suspect they travel a timid road.

Have you had it read by any producers yet?
                  I will have the information (quarterfinalist list) finalized on Monday and will aim to get it out on Tuesday. I don't control the email or web stuff, so that may be out of my hands.

We do seem a bit organized this time of the year because the deadline's timing is so close to the Expo itself. I usually average 400 hours and 200 scripts read in September.

I think the contest has changed the lives of a handful of writers and I think it has grown pretty respectably over the last 6 years. My run is up and I will be interested in seeing if it can evolve into a "huge" contest.

Peace,
                  Jim Mercurio

Comment

I'm not saying competitions are a bad thing. Just that the choices of the finalists seem a bit "safe".

Whereas in the real world it's the distinctive voices that tend to get attention.

Anyway, just saying, not to actually gauge anything by it.

Comment

In the real world, it's scripts that can be made into films that make money... and those are the scripts that never win contests.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Expo Competition View Post
                        I will have the information (quarterfinalist list) finalized on Monday and will aim to get it out on Tuesday. I don't control the email or web stuff, so that may be out of my hands.
                        Are the semi-finalists still scheduled for the following Friday (10/5)?

Comment

hey, that's cute how you're pointing a gun at my head as you say that.

But I assume it's because the judges don't want to stick their necks out and risk challenging, or causing debate. And the outcome of that will be choices that are tame. Commercially as well as creatively.

So that's it Jim, we want to see some brave choices this year.

Comment

Hopefully we'll have brave choices, but not at the expense of well written scripts that are also ENTERTAINING and potentially commercially viable.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
                              Hopefully we'll have brave choices, but not at the expense of well written scripts that are also ENTERTAINING and potentially commercially viable.

Quickly, FWIW...

It feels like people aren't paying attention: Grand Prize winners have been Magical Realist drama, 100 million dollar homoerotic biopic period piece, a dark drama that ends with 100 people locked in a house to die, an animated film (I thought this was bold in its own way) and a quirky buddy comedy about the relationship between an Asian Exchange student and an exhibitionist performance artist.

Other cash winners: cryptic subjective thriller told through the POV of a drugged autistic man, a drama about a guy who has a special power....he can make grocery carts move with his brain, one-location western drama, a Bettelheimian/Burtonesque fever-dream fairy tale, a biopic of sorts that involved Harry Houdini and the Devil.

In a given year, since we give out 6 prizes of $2500 or more in the feature category, I have tried to reward a masterpiece or two, scripts that transcend their genre and one or two that seamlessly satifsfy their genre better than the other 2000 scripts.

If I had to give an honest assessment, I would say I have erred on the side of craft and execution over concept/marketability. But just by a little bit, except for the Grand Prizes.

Jim

Comment

I think some people are under the impression that commercial scripts don't win contests because they aren't "artsy". Just in the same way popular commercial movies tend not to win the big oscars. ( despite their massive profits ) Personally, if I ever judge a contest,, I'd vote for...oh...I don't know...a WELL WRITTEN SCRIPT THAT I LIKED! *giggle*

Comment

Working...
                                X