No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expo 2007

Originally posted by nephilim View Post
    EXACTLY, I just got one too. And so did 20k others. They don't have any "glitches" when it comes to hawking the Expo.
    FYI, I have no control over when/how they send out the information. I did just find out that they are going to use the information as part of an Expo promotion. That is a complete suprise to me and not at all what I expected.

We are not racing around to figure out the QFs, we are racing around to figure out the semifinalists and winners.

I don't have approval from the owner to post the qfs here, but I am not sure how I could have been more specific or helpful than to invite people to email me about their specific scripts.

You know where I am.

Jim

Comment

Whoa

I don't think anyone realized we could email you, Jim, about our specific scripts. At least, I didn't, and I saw your message from late last night.

When I click on your name, my browser opens up an email software I can't use... it doesn't tell me what your email is.

Is it the [email protected] or something different?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Expo Competition View Post
        FYI, I have no control over when/how they send out the information. I did just find out that they are going to use the information as part of an Expo promotion. That is a complete suprise to me and not at all what I expected.

We are not racing around to figure out the QFs, we are racing around to figure out the semifinalists and winners.

I don't have approval from the owner to post the qfs here, but I am not sure how I could have been more specific or helpful than to invite people to email me about their specific scripts.

You know where I am.

Jim
        Alright. I don't know how many of the "impatient/annoying posters" are going to do that. Don't want to mess up our, I mean, their chances.
        Last edited by Hobbledehoy; 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I just emailed Jim. He responded quickly and also very gently let me know I didn't make the cut. I think he's a prince.
          Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

I made it through.

I wish I had understood Jim's message from last night, I would've emailed him about 12 hours sooner.

Comment

Neph, I think they're just trying to narrow down the QF's down to the SF's within enough time to allow the SF's to book flights for the Expo.

Did you enter? Just email Jim and ask your status.

Comment

Okay, maybe Neph realized he was being too harsh and removed his post? Or I'm hallucinating. Either way I thought I was responding to an actual post I read.

Comment

Originally posted by adam612 View Post
                  I made it through.

I wish I had understood Jim's message from last night, I would've emailed him about 12 hours sooner.
                  Congrats! I'm waiting to find out still myself.

Comment

Well, my quibble is that the original, final deadline was July 31 and they extended it twice - Aug. 14 and Aug. 31 (at only $5 more than what it cost to send in a script on time.)

If they get, say, 2,000 scripts by the regular deadline and another 500 after it, you don't have to be a math genius to figure out how much your odds decrease by. I don't know how the contest judges work, but considering how late they are burning the midnight oil in getting the QF results out, I can't believe that at least some of those on-time entries weren't lumped together with the late scripts, meaning that they didn't necessarily get the leisurely read while the other ones got the "rushed" reads.

My point was, with under a month now before the Expo, finding out whether I advanced or not is too late in the game for me to buy a cross-country ticket this year. Had they stuck with the July 31 deadline, they would have gotten results out by the end of August, which might have made me bypass Austin in favor of the Expo this year.

This isn't meant as a swipe at Jim & Co. I'm sure they are frustrated at having to rush this so late in the game. It's just something to consider for future competitions.

Comment

• Re: Expo 2007

I went to three expos -- all were great. And I'm really in love with AFF.

But one thing neither event can really offer is good access to TV writers, producers and network execs.

I say, move the Expo to the late spring, during the hiatus.

At least then we might have a chance at hearing from more TV writers than in the thick of the fall season...

And those of us who find it difficult to attend both Expo and AFF within weeks of each other (or, last year, had to choose between the two happening at the same time) will be able to schedule better. I imagine it would allow for getting guests who also might have to choose between the two events.

Just sayin'.

Comment

I'm in the quarters, but I have no idea which script. I'm assuming the one that has advanced in every contest I entered but hasn't won jack yet.
                        Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

Just heard from Jim -- I'm out in the teleplay comp. Oh, well. Truth is, I entered because I saw a post of Jim's here that TV submissions were down, and since I had a recently-polished spec and they make online entry so easy, I figured, "why not?"

Now I know why not -- because I could LOSE! (weep weep sniffle sniffle)

Actually, I've got plenty of other good stuff going on, so I think I'll survive. I just have to stop spending my imaginary $1000 prize in my head and shift my energy to rooting for the DDer's that did advance.

Congrats to HanShotFirst and adam612 and everyone else moving forward!
                          The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Been lurking a while watching this thread unfold.

Just got the email from Jim.

I'm in the quarter-finals.

And Jim became my best friend. Whether he likes it or not

Thanks to all involved in the contest.

This is a considerably effective tonic having just seen my team (Liverpool) have their worst game in the Champion's League in years.

Comment

Made it into the top 20% percent, but the ride ends there.

Congrats to everyone else who made quarters! Good luck!
                              "Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with digging up a corpse?" -- Mayor Quimby

"You've watched it! You can't unwatch it!" -- Narrator

Comment

Hopefully I hear from Jim soon, I emailed him earlier...just waiting for the word.

Congrats to everyone that has made it so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X