Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that the Expo is over

I don't know about the rest of you, but after some initial trepidation due to the registration lines, I came out of the Expo renewed, inspired and eager to apply what I learned. (Also exhausted and eager to get back to regular daily life that includes going to the gym.)

It was great to see old friends and get to know some of you I hadn't met in person before.

Joan

Re: Now that the Expo is over

well, I had a different experience, since I was an exhibitor and didn't go to classes, but I am inspired too - I met writers from literally all over the world. Everybody was so enthusiastic and excited about their pitches, it was just infectious. It was also really fun to hang out for four days with the other vendors from the Writer's Store, Iscript, Chris Soth, etc. and get to really know them and their products. You tend to bond when you sit side by side for hours, lol.

And of course the lovely Done Dealers - it was so fun to look forward to a group visit every day. Some DDers came by a lot more than that and used my booth as a resting point. I loved it, it was a blast.

I did hear a lot of grumbling about the event, particularly on the first day but after that, I began to hear more and more enthusiasm. The closing ceremony was great and it was really fun to see some of the CS Expo Finalists had been people who'd been visiting me at my booth almost daily to chat about it. I have to say here and now that Jim Mercurio, if you don't know him personally, is one of my favorite people in the world, bar none.

Julie Gray

Comment

I must admit it was fun! In the past years that I attended the Expo - I'd never found the bonding of hanging out with fellow "DDealers" intriguing and quite contagious. I think we became closer as friends than just someone who writes on this blasted bulletin board and never matched the face to the avatar! Hanging out behind La Femme Joyeuse's booth was rather exciting actually. La Femme is a sweetheart. And if anyone said differently I will leap up and defend her! I met so many new writers from everywhere here in California, and have their cards, you know who you are. And I intend to keep in touch! Without a doubt.
      Although the first day was a horrendous, the lot of grumbling that people were probably referring to was the crowd and the availability of the parking! The enthusiasm of the days following were the informative classes I took. Especially from a vendor called "Celtx- (See below...). Do to unfortunate circumstances, I had to back out on Friday and handle some personal affairs and returned back on Saturday and continued until Sunday. I'm sorry I didn't stay for the CS Expo Finalist, or the finalist of the writer's competition. But I stayed to talk to Bill C. Martell afterwards before departing for a long night of sleep, which I was over-due for.

I hope to stay in touch with everyone even if we just hang out on a Saturday or a weekend to just talk. After all, those of us living here in Southern California are so close, why shouldn't we?! So, those of you who missed the Expo, sorry you did and maybe next year you can plan on it! It's worth the effort.

And now to return to the daily routing of life and that includes a good daily walk, which I am over due for. I think the last lunch yesterday took me over the edge.

Dave-

(One of the most interesting FREE classes was "Celtx-, similar to Screenwriter software, I feel... had many features to deploy and is an Open Source software in different languages' and available in Linux, Mac and PC. See the link: http://www.celtx.com/ to download it and join their forum of supporters. It's awesome!)
      D. Alin
      http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Aw, David - you're pretty sweet yourself

Julie Gray

Comment

Did anybody pitch this year? In light of the looming strike, I'm wondering how eager (or not) people were to request scripts.

Comment

i still don't get how people can pay 15 dollars to pitch to one low level exec...

Comment

They're not always "low level execs" -- I pitched to a president of production at a major company and got my first option that way.

But regardless of who they are now, they could be on their way up. Build any relationships you can.

Comment

I've been using Celtx for a few months and it's fantastic given that it's completely free (and not just a trial version). I've used Final Draft in the past. Celtx has the added benefit of preproduction tools for the filmmaker.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

I think conferences like this provide a good shot in the arm. I find myself rejuvenated. Picked up some good tips, met some nice folks.

And I got out of the damn office!

On the other hand my diet tanked.

Comment

Originally posted by La Femme Joyeuse View Post
                    Aw, David - you're pretty sweet yourself
                    Ah, my sweetest friend, we're going to get together next month. Drop me a line, and we'll schedule. Also, I have the pictures... will be e-mailing them to you, RD and others, even Joan and Mike. I'm excited to have met freinds on "DD" and not to keep them close and share everything with.

Drop me a line!

HUGS.
                    D. Alin
                    http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Originally posted by velysai View Post
                      I've been using Celtx for a few months and it's fantastic given that it's completely free (and not just a trial version). I've used Final Draft in the past. Celtx has the added benefit of preproduction tools for the filmmaker.
                      Sorry, I missed your comment before... I attended the FREE class on the software, the demostration on it was quite intriguing... got a FREE 256MB USB dive for attending! Has all versions of the software for the OS you intend to use. I like it, had loaded it onto my notebook as they demo it! But, I will keep using FinalDraft, but will use this one for the depths of things, and props and maybe in the future if I intend to work with fellow peers to produce a low-budget project it'll help reduce buying additional softwares. There are a few quarks of course... the font changes at a certain point and there isn't a Thesaurus built in like Final Draft. I depend it on personally... helps me figure things out and quit using the same word over and over. It's just me, of course.
                      D. Alin

Comment

Originally posted by David Alin View Post
                        Sorry, I missed your comment before... I attended the FREE class on the software, the demostration on it was quite intriguing... got a FREE 256MB USB dive for attending! Has all versions of the software for the OS you intend to use. I like it, had loaded it onto my notebook as they demo it! But, I will keep using FinalDraft, but will use this one for the depths of things, and props and maybe in the future if I intend to work with fellow peers to produce a low-budget project it'll help reduce buying additional softwares. There are a few quarks of course... the font changes at a certain point and there isn't a Thesaurus built in like Final Draft. I depend it on personally... helps me figure things out and quit using the same word over and over. It's just me, of course.
                        I go to dictionary.com. They have a fantastic thesaurus there, too.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                        - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Originally posted by velysai View Post
                          I go to dictionary.com. They have a fantastic thesaurus there, too.
                          Thank you for telling me that, I haven't used that website before. I usually keep using Final Draft, but this program is nice because of the database and all the additional props you can add to the software to make production of your film effective.

So, I have the software to help me with a character profile, which I liked extremely. It's amazing how detail you can add things to the program in its database and store it for future usage. But, I will continue to use Final Draft.
                          D. Alin

Comment

Working...
                          X