X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contests/Services/Script Guru's You Had a Good Time With

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    You know, this thread was started for writers to share with other writers their experiences and thoughts about Contests, Services and Script gurus.

I make comments about contests in general and now it's all about Nicholl because Greg took offense to what I said.

Susannah Grant won in 1992
    Andrew Marlowe, 1992
    Ehren Kruger, 1996
    Mike Rich, 1998

I'd say this supports my comment that reps have told me the industry is not as hot on Nicholl winners as they were ten years ago.

As for the above snarky snips at me, I have no idea why my comments -- none of them personally attacking you or the contest you work for --would inspire a need to speak down to me, Greg.
    I realize you don't understand this: I took offense when you made statements that weren't true. Also when you observed that I had made claims that I had not made. BTW, when you make statements that aren't true that place the Nicholl competition in a bad light, you are attacking the competition.

How do you leap from when those four writers won to the conclusion that the industry is not as interested in Nicholl winners than they were ten years ago? How many reps did you speak with? The number of reps and producers who request the Nicholl lists are up considerably in recent years against 10-15 years ago.

Regarding the downturn in entries: did you know that we have had great difficulties in switching to an online application system that possibly caused many people not to enter over the past three years? And that the problems have caused us to make the application form available considerably later than in previous years? And that due to the problems, we have not advertised in any form or made any concerted marketing effort during this period?

And what's with the comment about the $150,000+ in entry fees? You do realize that we award $150,000 in fellowships each year, spend as much on reading the scripts, spend considerable amounts on the awards ceremony and fellows week in Hollywood, in addition to having staff and overhead expenses.

Comment

sc111 can really keep a man busy, Greg, but not in a good way...be thankful that Diablo Cody wasn't a fellow... then you'd really have your hands full.

Comment

You know, this thread was started for writers to share with other writers their experiences and thoughts about Contests, Services and Script gurus. .
        Exactly. I started this new thread... hoping the writers could discuss this topic, without the thread getting locked again due to flame wars.

Besides a few morons in this thread (you are the ones that just got offended at that statement and are currently writing your pithy replies now), this has been great for me and others.

This thread IS NOT ABOUT ONE contest. It's about ALL CONTESTS. And anything else. Just our feelings/thoughts. No need to come with footnotes. This isn't a term paper. Watch the talking heads on TV... they don't speak from facts, they just speak. And a lot of them cause harm to many people with their hate speak.

This is not happening here. A writer saying, he thinks contests aren't that great, is just an opinion. If we all agree, what's the point?

I'm talking to my fellow aspiring writers who want to discuss this topic. I don't see any reason to chime in just to call people stupid or wrong or talk down to them. I know this is the nature of the forum... a truly anonymous and safe world...

Most of us are just handles... You could be 14 or 55. Guy or Girl. Gay or Straight. I don't know. If we were all in a room together, we would probably get along fine. It's just tone gets misread in emails and on forums.

And Greg... I truly don't understand your motivation. Doesn't Nicholl reputation speak for itself? It's great when you give us the inside scoop like you did a few posts ago to me about how the % of scripts submitted in a genre directly relates to the % of scripts chosen to move on in that said genre...

Honestly, why do you care if sc111 casts your fellowship in a bad light. I think he was just giving his true feelings. Why isn't that okay?

Truth be told, I'm sure all of us have and will apply again to Nicholl. I know I am this year. If I'll win, i'll be sure to bring up this for a great story. There's no reason to defend every little statement that you think/know is inncorrect about your fellowship. We can't compete with your knowledge of your fellowship. But if everyone stops posting, because they are afraid to make a statement that you will rebuke... that doesn't breed discussion. It stops it.

There's about 100 blogs and other forums (TriggerStreet) that also insult Nicholl.. and in much harsher tons. And then just as many that praise it. That's the nature of the beast. There's even people in the world that don't like George Clooney... Does he care? No, because he's George Clooney.

Why should you care about what anyone says about Nicholl. It's one of the best, if not the best. You win. We all agree.

Doesn't mean we can't discuss if we think it's the way to go for us personally... It's subjective all around. All writing is.

Contests can help make a sale, by introducing new writers to the industry, but the script has to be great in the first place. It's not like they see WINNER OF CONTEST X and go, "I'll buy it."

Contests/Fellowships are one way in... but even if you win them, you still have to get lucky and work hard. That's all we are saying.

And now can we talk about the 999 other contests out there...

I'd especially like to hear about ...

Austin
        Page
        Zoetrope
        Writer's Digest
        Final Draft Big Break
        American Accolades
        Scriptapalooza
        Slamdance
        moviescriptcontest.com

There's a few of these coming up...

I was hoping to learn of a contest (one maybe I or someone else never heard of) that's up and coming or to learn that an established one is not all it's cracked up to be.

I think we've already covered one and got great opinions... now let's move on. Please.

The basic premise or logline of this thread is to share information so you or your fellow writers don't get taken advantage of.

If you write horror scripts, maybe there's a certain contest for you over another. Maybe you're thinking of getting your script coverage by script doctor A and want to know if anyone else has used them...

Let's keep the good discussion going. I think out of the few small disagreements we had so far, we've gotten some great information. I know I have.

Comment

This is retarded.

Of the 101 scripts that won Nicholl, 14 were produced. That's a 14% success rate. Of the actual winning scripts. Though I don't know the actual numbers for folks in LA who are hoping for their scripts to garner attention, I'm pretty positive it's far less than a 14% success rate. Especially in a town where EVERYONE has a script.

What people aren't taking into account is how winning (or even placing) has assisted people's careers (getting an agent, getting assignments, etc). I know a bunch of folks who are Nicholl finalists who are enjoying great careers. There are also folks in the Winners circle who have had scripts produced that weren't their winning scripts. Bragi Schut comes to mind.

Contests aren't the ONLY way in, but if you win a respected one (or even place), you can generate a bit of buzz, which you can then use to launch your career (like getting an agent, getting assignments, etc). If your success rate is 100% without the contests, great. But, if not, as Jeff Lowell suggested (and methinks he knows a thing or five about the business), why not use the contests as a measuring stick to see how your scripts are perceived? As noted, Disney's free to enter and Nicholl costs, like, $30. What's really to lose by entering?
          "I believe that discrimination exists in Hollywood, but ... its much less of an obstacle then poor writing, poor marketing, poor networking and being a whiny little bitch." -- JKK

Comment

I entered a dark rom-com 3-4 years ago I think? Needless to say I should have read the FAQs more closely.

However, I did get reps on a cold query with another comedy.

The only genre I would personally enter into Nicholl is a drama. Odds are better.
            Bitter, much? There's nothing wrong with entering AND querying. Christ. I don't think most people think if they send a script to Nicholl they can pack up their bags for Hollywood. However, you know what's cool? Just placing. That can help you in querying. Holy crap! Right? Wow. Imagine that.

Comment

Originally posted by qualitycontrol View Post
              Bitter, much? There's nothing wrong with entering AND querying. Christ. I don't think most people think if they send a script to Nicholl they can pack up their bags for Hollywood. However, you know what's cool? Just placing. That can help you in querying. Holy crap! Right? Wow. Imagine that.
              exactly!
              What's a girl to do, when the chocolate ice cream and batteries run out?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                No need to come with footnotes. This isn't a term paper. Watch the talking heads on TV... they don't speak from facts, they just speak. And a lot of them cause harm to many people with their hate speak.

This is not happening here. A writer saying, he thinks contests aren't that great, is just an opinion. If we all agree, what's the point?

I'm talking to my fellow aspiring writers who want to discuss this topic.
                So basically you're saying, you'd rather hear personal anecdotes, sour grapes and hearsay from amateurs, than actual statistics from professionals? Um, okay. Whatever you think might be more helpful.

Comment

Oh, and one more thing....

Honestly, why do you care if sc111 casts your fellowship in a bad light. I think he was just giving his true feelings. Why isn't that okay?

Truth be told, I'm sure all of us have and will apply again to Nicholl. I know I am this year. If I'll win, i'll be sure to bring up this for a great story. There's no reason to defend every little statement that you think/know is inncorrect about your fellowship. We can't compete with your knowledge of your fellowship. But if everyone stops posting, because they are afraid to make a statement that you will rebuke... that doesn't breed discussion. It stops it.
                  Saying things that are FACTUALLY INCORRECT is not just giving "true feelings." sc111 has the right to say, "I don't like x contest because they didn't like my script." But to make up a bunch of "facts" based on hearsay and ignorance and either expect or demand that they NOT be refuted is just silly.

For instance, if a bunch of people post all over the internet that they think I'm rude, or stupid, or crazy (and no doubt many have)... well, I tend to ignore that, as it's a bunch of people expressing their random OPINIONS. Whether or not they have silly or bitter reasons for saying those things. However, if someone posts that they heard from "people" that I went to jail for killing a man in Reno...and I chime in to refute that information...wouldn't it be silly for the original poster to complain that I'm trying to shut down "discussion" and people were just expressing their opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
                    Oh, and one more thing....

Saying things that are FACTUALLY INCORRECT is not just giving "true feelings." sc111 has the right to say, "I don't like x contest because they didn't like my script." But to make up a bunch of "facts" based on hearsay and ignorance and either expect or demand that they NOT be refuted is just silly.

For instance, if a bunch of people post all over the internet that they think I'm rude, or stupid, or crazy (and no doubt many have)... well, I tend to ignore that, as it's a bunch of people expressing their random OPINIONS. Whether or not they have silly or bitter reasons for saying those things. However, if someone posts that they heard from "people" that I went to jail for killing a man in Reno...and I chime in to refute that information...wouldn't it be silly for the original poster to complain that I'm trying to shut down "discussion" and people were just expressing their opinions?
                    THANK YOU!!
                    What's a girl to do, when the chocolate ice cream and batteries run out?

Comment

You know, the way this discussion has pivoted to a belief that I have attacked or cast Nicholl in a bad light is ridiculous and a complete mischaracterization of everything I said.

As for Quality Control, Gillyflower & Alice B. Tokelas...

Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Let's try to make this thread more friendly. I'll do my best.
                        Nice try.
                        ?
                        "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Everyone on this board serious about making a career at writing should be in the Nicholl Fellowship. It will:

a. Give you an idea of whether you are worth your salt as a writer
                          b. Open doors immediately if you make the quarters, semis, finals or win

It's not the only thing you should be doing nor is it a guaranteed way in, but I can't think of an easier way to get great managers e-mailing YOU wanting to read YOUR work.

The question is, do you have market-ready commercial work that's ready to go? That's up to you.

I didn't, but the strength of my sample got me in a place where I could pitch 3 or 4 marketable ideas and see which one a savvy industry guy bit on.

Oh yeah, and move to LA, because many of these guys won't contact you unless you have the right area code (true story).
                          Reaction time is a factor, so please pay attention.

Comment

And for the newbies of this site, the poster above (Han Shot First) sold his spec GALAHAD and he went from pre-pro to pro overnight.

EJ

Comment

And for the newbies of this site, the poster above (Han Shot First) sold his spec GALAHAD and he went from pre-pro to pro overnight. EJ

I saw that yesterday. Best of luck!

I must say, I did appreciate Greg describing the reading process that Nicholl puts the scripts through. And noting the fact that no profits are made from it. Thinking it over, it is more than just a 'contest'. A Fellowship is about honing your craft, not just making out like a bandit with a deal.

I have been disgusted by a few contests I entered that I found out later were complete crap. I wish I had been more careful back then and only entered the reliable ones, as I don't exactly have money to burn. I've made loads of painful mistakes during the writing of two scripts, enough to make me want to give up a hundred times. My first script I spent three years on -- without a computer! Things happened after that left me so heartbroken it took eight years to start writing again.

The one time I placed high enough to mean something I still didn't get a single read from it, but I got other things that were just as valuable -- mostly a person with a great deal of experience spending a couple hours on the phone with me to give me very detailed advice about what I needed to do. That and standing on a stage and being shocked when my logline was read and a wave of giggles swept the audience -- in a good way.

And the right zip code? For a long time I've felt like I've been in a vacuum, especially since I live in a hick state that sells bait in most of it's convenience stores. Anyone here know what it's like to try and choose a frozen dinner that's been sitting about ten inches away from a box of live nightcrawlers? I know I'm not the only one to imagine winning a contest is the Only Possible Chance of getting noticed -- you work your ass off to get your script polished, print it out on extra white paper and carefully make sure you put the brads on right, count your pages and your dreams a dozen times... then months go by and you wonder if you really mailed it or accidentally flushed it down the toilet. Now I know bitter. I mean better.... lol.

Then I came here tonight and lo and behold -- I learn about the Dyme Fellowship! (Or is it Dymes?) Anyway, will you please PM me the address? I Googled it and could only find references to chronic masturbation...

Comment

Working...
                              X