Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worldfest?

Anyone else enter Worldfest this year? If so, any results yet.

Re: Worldfest?

Hi, Pasquali.

Start checking your mail. I just got my notice, and apparently I'm a Remi winner in the HORROR/THRILLER/MYSTERY category. That's a pretty broad category, so whatever they want to give me, I'll take it.

Maybe I'll see some other DD'ers at Worldfest. I met some of you at the Expo last year and I'm glad I did it.
    "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Got an email today that I'm a winner in some fashion; not sure which category, as I entered three: Historical/period, biographical and dramatic adaptation. Anyone with prior experience or an opinion on attending?

Comment

Originally posted by MurphMan View Post
        Got an email today that I'm a winner in some fashion; not sure which category, as I entered three: Historical/period, biographical and dramatic adaptation. Anyone with prior experience or an opinion on attending?
        I won a Platinum Remi for original drama a couple years ago.

Apparently of the dozenish winners in all the categories, only one or two win cash. When I put two and two together and figured out that I wasn't going to be the cash winner (and since they rejected my film, which may just have gotten a distribution deal 2 years later (hope springs eternal)), I decided not to attend. You get a nice framed certificate though and you get to make a few queries with a recent win. But their priority definitely isn't using their entry fees to reward the writers in a big way. But their giving out so many awards has its upside because it encourages so many writers.

YMMV,
        Jim
        Last edited by Jim Mercurio; 03-31-2008, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
          Mathematically, not a great +EV contest, but I think the "grade inflation" of giving out so many awards has its upside because it encourages so many writers.

YMMV,
          Jim
          I had to look up "+EV" and "grade inflation" to know what you were talking about. Now I understand, and I think the tone is a little negative.

So my question about the +EV is this: Do you think people enter contests because of the cash prizes? Because if that were the case, most of us wouldn't enter contests, would we? I can't speak for others, but I know the sole reason for my entering any contest is to get some measure of recognition that would otherwise be impossible. I don't live in L.A., and I know from experience that it would be extremely unwise to show up in that town without money (whatever the source) and some type of security (like a job). So I do the best I can out of my little hick community in Texas.

I attended your Expo last year, even though I placed low in the contest. I was in L.A. for a week, and it didn't take long for me to see what a difference it would make living in a town where networking opportunities are there all the time. I'm terrible at pitching and all that, but in my own clumsy way I managed to get a couple of reads. I could see how with a little practice, it can be done. -- But as far as I could tell, few of the writers there had any greater measure of success than I have.

So whatever the contest is, it's not for the money. It's just another feather in my cap until I'm like a peacock that no one can ignore. And that, combined with hard work, persistence, and good timing will ultimately pay off.

As for the "grade inflation," that sounds like a subtle way of demeaning a contest that's been around longer than the Expo or any of the others. But even if that's true, it is certainly a process in which you took part. I mean, you did say that you won the Platinum, didn't you, Jim?
          "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

I have to agree with R.D. that the tone of Mercurio's post was a tad negative. In fact, it sounded a bit like sour grapes to me ("and since they rejected my film, which may just have gotten a distribution deal 2 years later...").

While I've never attended Expo, I have been to Worldfest. They put on a great festival, which is primarily a showcase for indie films from across the globe. The screenwriting competition is a small component of it. True, the cash awards aren't as great as Expo or some other contests, but R.D. is absolutely right in that most writers enter contests for exposure and validation -- not cash (although that's always an nice plus).

Merc, even based on your experience with Expo, there's no way you can apply any formula to knowing the overhead at Worldfest. Sure, you can estimate their gross revenue in the screenwriting competition; that's pretty easy to do. But you have no idea what their actual costs are in putting on the entire festival -- including screenings, banquet, etc. I realize that Expo is also much more than a competition -- with significant overhead. But you still can't diss Worldfest, because you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes there.

I like Worldfest. It's good for filmmakers -- and good for Texas.

Comment

Wasn't trying to be overly negative. Just being specific about pros and cons that I saw. I edited my post. I have no ill will toward Worldfest. It sounds and sounded like a great time. I just felt that winning a certificate was not enough to make me want to spend $1000 to attend a festival.

Maybe my "grade inflation" comment was too clever for its own good. I deleted it.

Also, I think money is one of the reasons people enter contests. For most contests, the number of submissions are linked to the cash prizes. I think that's appropriate. If I won 10k in a contest, I would be happy because it would allow me to turn down 4-8 weeks of work and focus on writing/filmmaking. Why is that bad?

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

And Jim: coincidentally, it was the same script I sent your folks the 3 page excerpt per Moviebytes the other day. The baseball story.

Thanks again.

Comment

I just wanted to post an update on this. I attended the WorldFest Film Festival so that I could claim my award in person (Gold Remi). I expected to make the most of this, but I had no idea...

So many filmmakers from all over the world. The vibe of the whole affair was totally amicable, and I have never been in a situation where the directors were actually anxious to meet me. No tension, no pressure, just friendly people and lots and lots of movies. I've never seen so many movies at one time in my whole life, and I didn't even get to see them all. Missed some really good ones, too, but I intend to see them eventually.

I know that money is always an issue, but if any writers should happen to place in this contest, I strongly encourage them to attend. I was one of four winning writers among a sea of producers and directors. The world was our oyster, and it was also quite a party. Those who wish to know more about the films that premiered here can find them listed on the WorldFest website.

Gotta go now. I have many emails -- and scripts -- to send out.
                  Last edited by R.D. Wright; 04-30-2008, 07:05 PM.
                  "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

To echo R. D., I found it to be overall a good experience with a lot of creative and enthusiastic filmmakers and writers. Most folks I met were from LA, but many were from all over the world -- the Russians took home lots of hardware. My wife and I attended the awards banquet and I was pleased to learn that I'd won the Platinum Remi for my screenplay ("The Knuckleballer") in the 'dramatic adaptation' category. I'd go again.

Comment

Working...
                    X