This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Screenwriting Question

Just perusing the FAQs for this, and maybe one of the sponsors can clear something up for me. I'd like to call your attention to two FAQs that seem to possibly contradict one another re: The Script Department's involvement.

If Script Department clients are eligible for this competition and you sponsor it, how do I know you won’t be biased?

Readers will not be assigned to scripts they have previously read for TSD and further, title pages with name and contact information will be removed before scripts are assigned.

Who will be judging the finalists?

Jim Mercurio and Julie Gray.

Does it not stand to reason that as the principal of TSD, Julie Gray may very well have some knowledge of the writers/scripts that have been covered by her service, and therefore in fact be biased, despite claims to the contrary? Maybe you have a workaround for this, but it begs the question. Thanks.
    Last edited by muckraker; 07-09-2008, 10:31 AM. Reason: Formatting

Re: Silver Screenwriting Question

This place is the best for cheering me up. Man we are such *******s to each other.

I think like most competitions they are looking for the best scripts. Period. But that's is a matter of opinion to each reader. So I don't think this contest will be any more fair or unfair than any other. That's the nature of the beast of contests. All you can do is hire good readers and ask them to do their best.

I like Julie and we email each other, but I doubt our nice chats will help or hurt any. I don't think she's digging through the pile to find mine and put a gold star on it. Or the same matter find yours and kick you out from not using her service.

So enter and good luck. Or don't. You have the same chance as everyone else.

Comment

I can answer this question: if it's a script that Julie has read before, she won't judge that script. End of story.
      http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I think it's totally appropriate that people express concerns here.

In general, this niche business is sort of incestuous. When I was running the Expo Competition, there were always hundreds of scripts in the contest that were written by my clients, my students, people I met at the Expo, people who had emailed me about my CS column, people I had med at LA parties or events.

In producing and filmmaking, relationships can affect your desire to pursue a script or make a movie. Maybe that's favoritism, but there is also a practical application: personalities and "getting along" affect the ease/possiblity of setting a project up AND its quality. But, and this is a huge BUT, in this contest arena, my (and Julie's) reputation is only as good as the winning scripts we choose. I am proud of the great scripts I chose as Expo Competition winners when I ran that contest. I am not going to use favoritism in picking winners for the contest. I am going to fight for the scripts I think are the best.

I chose Julie as a partner because I have had a relationship with her and from all of my dealings with her, she has been fair and honest. I read her Rouge Wave column once in a while and am amazed how giving she is there. It's not like she's doing it to get rich--making a zillion dollars (or even a cent) off of Google adword advertising. In time, our partnership in this contest will establish itself as a champion of great writing and writers.

And so you know, there are a few internal policies in place to make sure that our contest is fair. Like in the Expo Competition, I am not doing any "first round" reading. The "first round" readers have to "pass up" a script before it even gets considered. If there is a script that has ANY possible conflict of interest, Julie and I will discuss and we will make sure that each of us understands the situation. We will call in outside judges' opinions if the two of us arrive at an impasse on one of these scripts.

Thanks for listening.

Peace,
        Jim
        Silver Screenwriting Competition

Comment

I removed a few posts from this thread that weren't really on the topic and which were more just swipes at fellow posters.

As we note in our guidelines, if you have something helpful and useful to say then great. If not, keep it to yourself. We don't need the sarcasm or nastiness. Seriously. I've seen way too many little jibes, snippy remarks, etc. Needs to end.
          Will
          Done Deal Pro
          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
            I removed a few posts from this thread that weren't really on the topic and which were more just swipes at fellow posters.

As we note in our guidelines, if you have something helpful and useful to say then great. If not, keep it to yourself. We don't need the sarcasm or nastiness. Seriously. I've seen way too many little jibes, snippy remarks, etc. Needs to end.
            So we're not allowed to question anything? Great.

Comment

It's not a matter of questioning something or not. It's how you do it. So if one can't do it more pleasantly than some of the posts we've seen of late, then don't do it. It's that easy.
              Will
              Done Deal Pro
              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I believe people think its "how" because they merely like the parties in question. If we were debating a movie with such passion, nobody would care.

Comment

Originally posted by qualitycontrol View Post
                  I believe people think its "how" because they merely like the parties in question. If we were debating a movie with such passion, nobody would care.
                  You can believe what you want. Everyone can. But when you're here please follow our guidelines or don't post. There are more than enough other forums out there for someone to find one that fits their needs best.

And even when debating a movie we ask people be civil about it. That's not been happening for some of the topics of late. We've clearly seen it. Passion is one thing. But being nasty & snippy is another, that's just not needed here.

If there are any other questions or concerns, then please drop me an email. Thanks.
                  Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-10-2008, 12:02 PM.
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Okay just tried to apply for this contest but the price has suddenly jumped from $55 bucks to $70 bucks. Although Moviebytes still has it listed as $55. I think I'll just spend my money on gas and groceries. Really dislike applying to contests online and this is the main reason why...sigh

Comment

You probably just missed the early deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncsugirl23 View Post
                        Okay just tried to apply for this contest but the price has suddenly jumped from $55 bucks to $70 bucks. Although Moviebytes still has it listed as $55. I think I'll just spend my money on gas and groceries. Really dislike applying to contests online and this is the main reason why...sigh
                        Let's see how long it takes for this post to be deleted.

Comment

I thought they extended the deadline cuz of some admin problem or something...why would the rate go up to $70? That entry fee makes it one of the more expensive contests with the least impressive prize list.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                            I thought they extended the deadline cuz of some admin problem or something...why would the rate go up to $70? That entry fee makes it one of the more expensive contests with the least impressive prize list.
                            This last deadline is Withoutabox's Exclusive Deadline and they require that they can offer "upgraded scripts" a $15 dollar discount. So we priced it so that people would be able to take advantage of this last deadline for $55. We didn't want WAB Upgradees to pay LESS than someone who entered months ago.

This final "extension" has been listed as the final deadline on the site since April. It's a period where WAB focuses promotion to WAB members.

If you missed the earlier deadline and aren't an WAB-upgraded account, I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want to spend $70 for this or any contest. However, it seems that upgrading your account would have alot of benefits if you were entering several contests.

There will be no last-minute suprise deadline changes or extensions.

Jim

Comment

I don't know what the hell you're talking about...Withoutabox??!! Let me guess it's another service that charges screenwriters??

Comment

Working...
                              X