No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2008

Originally posted by canusaycarpaltunnel View Post
    I noticed they asked me to confirm my contact information (what an ego boost). Did any of you that made it to the Nicholl QF in the past, ever receive requests for your scripts?
    First, congratulations!

To answer your question, a few years ago, when I was a quarterfinalist, I think I received about a half dozen requests. Last year, as a semi-finalist, I received a dozen or so.

You will get requests. But even better, you'll be able to open more doors by highlighting this achievement in query letters to studios/companies/producers.

Comment

out! good luck to those advancing...

Comment

Just went in to change my address and while I was there checked out the roster of my past entries.

Script 1: QF 3 years running, SF once, nada last 3 years

Script 2: QF twice, SF (top 30) once, top 10% once

Script 3: top 20% once; 3 times nada

Script 4: top 10% once, 2 x nada

Only point is to show the variation from year to year, presumably based on the tastes of the initial reader. So anyone who did not advance this year certainly shouldn't take that as the final word and give up on the process.

LauriD
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by TwelveMile View Post
          First, congratulations!

To answer your question, a few years ago, when I was a quarterfinalist, I think I received about a half dozen requests. Last year, as a semi-finalist, I received a dozen or so.

You will get requests. But even better, you'll be able to open more doors by highlighting this achievement in query letters to studios/companies/producers.
          Likewise for me three or four years ago. About half-a-dozen requests that led to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
            Likewise for me three or four years ago. About half-a-dozen requests that led to nothing.
            Unfortunately, this is the pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
              Only point is to show the variation from year to year, presumably based on the tastes of the initial reader. So anyone who did not advance this year certainly shouldn't take that as the final word and give up on the process.
              Or quite possibly that the caliber of entrants vary from year to year. The years that people have dinked may have been the years with stronger entries.

I agree with the latter that people shouldn't take contest results as the final word.
              -- Another Writer

Comment

Anyone know if this rumor is true? Was an early version of "Little Miss Sunshine" entered in the Nicholl and dinked out?

I hope its true, then there really is hope for us all to dink out of the Nicholl and still win an Oscar
                826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                  While I agree wholeheartedly with the overall sentiment -- no writer should give up because of a single poor result in a contest -- I have to point out that the Nicholl process for most decent scripts is not one read and you're out. Each year over 40% of the entries receive second reads, so a considerable number of scripts have a second chance to garner a big score. And then those scripts with at least one big score are read a third time.

Over 1500 scripts received a second read but fell short of reaching the top 15%. Many of those scripts received two positive scores, but did not attain the big score needed to earn the third read.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jake Schuster http://207.5.19.9/boards/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                    Jake: "You will get requests. But even better, you'll be able to open more doors by highlighting this achievement in query letters to studios/companies/producers."

Unfortunately, you forgot to quote the other part of Jake's post. Of course, most requests lead to nothing. Most queries lead to nothing. Even, most contacts lead to little or nothing.

That's the reason new writers have to keep trying to get their scripts read and have to keep trying to connect with agents, managers, producers and anyone else in the industry who might be able to give them a step up.

If you reach the Nicholl quarterfinals or beyond and think that now all doors will be open, you're most likely destined for failure. As Jake notes, you have to use your placement to open doors rather than waiting at home for a magical phone call or e-mail to jump-start your career.

Comment

Originally posted by KenRichards View Post
                      Originally posted by AnotherWriter View Post
                      Or quite possibly that the caliber of entrants vary from year to year. The years that people have dinked may have been the years with stronger entries.

I agree with the latter that people shouldn't take contest results as the final word.
                      Again, I agree with the latter notion. No single rejection should be the final word.

When you're dealing with thousands of entries, though, I'm doubtful that the overall quality of the top 1000 entries varies much year to year.

With our current system I'm not confident of the exact accuracy of this search, but I found at least 700 entries submitted by prior quarter/semi/finalists in the 2008 Nicholl competition. That group alone makes for some serious competition for the top spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmithteer View Post
                        Anyone know if this rumor is true? Was an early version of "Little Miss Sunshine" entered in the Nicholl and dinked out?

I hope its true, then there really is hope for us all to dink out of the Nicholl and still win an Oscar
                        Since I was the one who first revealed Little Miss Sunshine's entry and lack of success in the Nicholl competition, I don't know that I would characterize the above statement as a rumor.

FYI, apparently Michael Arndt's Nicholl enty was submitted prior to a serious rewrite that gained him its first serious industry attention and, soon after, its initial option. It was also prior to the four or five years of rewrites that took place before filming commenced. Michael Arndt had a second screenplay reach the Nicholl semifinals in the same year, so it's not as if we overlooked him as a talented writer. In fact, the first script he submitted to the Nicholl competition in 1991 reached the Nicholl semifinals.

In addition to the Nicholl dink aspect, you can add 10 years of continuing to write screenplays despite achieving no professional success.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                          Again, I agree with the latter notion. No single rejection should be the final word.

When you're dealing with thousands of entries, though, I'm doubtful that the overall quality of the top 1000 entries varies much year to year.

With our current system I'm not confident of the exact accuracy of this search, but I found at least 700 entries submitted by prior quarter/semi/finalists in the 2008 Nicholl competition. That group alone makes for some serious competition for the top spots.
                          I think the main thing to understand is that while making it to the quarterfinals should be something that the writer should be proud of, there is more that needs to be done. In most cases, alot more. I've been fortunate to make it a number of times, also making it to the semi's once as well, but I am under no illusion that this makes me better than any of those who didn't make it. It's all subjective after all, and I take all accomplishments as they come and am thankfull for them. And I use this information in my queries to proudly point out that if Nicholl thinks I have enough talent to recognize me with this status, I must have some talent after all.

I've encountered many Nicholl quarterfinalist writers in the past, who like myself years ago, think just because they've quarterfinalled, the industry is going to be bowled over because of that. And while I give my hearty congratulations to all who make it there, it's naive and short sighted to think these results will by themselves create major openings for them. Of course, there are exceptions, and we all hope we can be the exception.

Best of luck to all who entered, and best wishes,

Ken Richards
                          Last edited by KenRichards; 08-22-2008, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                            No single rejection should be the final word.
                            What works with women works with screenwriting competitions.

I bet.

Comment

When do the semifinal letters go out?

I know, I shouldn't be thinking about it, but....

Comment

Word on the street is they went out in the last couple days.
                                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                                X