Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2008

Yeah, they just see the title, I believe. I got requests from people when I was a semi-finalist, and I believe some of them were a form email, and that they requested either ALL the semi-finalist scripts, or all of the semi-final scripts of a particular genre.

Comment

Actually, you definitely can change it. I think it was last year that I noticed my logline had some grammatical errors in it. I emailed them with a corrected version that they used instead.

But the others are right. The people who get the list will only get your name, your contact info, and the title. The logline that you entered with is only used to determine who the reader is going to be.

Comment

I believe that the list that Greg sends out to interested parties specifies title and genre. (At least I assume that to be the case, since one call I got last year was from a producer who was only contacting writers with drama-genre scripts.)

Greg will probably step in to clarify.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Wow, thank you for your informative replies, everyone.

It sounds like there's a lot of experienced writers on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by visvivalaw View Post
            The quarterfinalists should be announced soon. The FAQ on the site says "late July" and I remember getting the letter last year during Comic Con, which is next week.

Anyone else obsessing over this already?
            Yep, should be around August 1st, here's a copy of the confirmation email that I received around the end of May:

Welcome to the 2008 Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting competition, a program of the Academy Foundation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

We have received your screenplay, [title], application form and entry fee in proper order. If you contact us regarding your submission, please include your entry number -- [entry#].

Thus far, we have received just over 5,200 scripts for this year’s competition. We hope to complete first-round judging by the end of July. We will then tally the results as quickly as possible.

We expect about 5% of this year’s entrants to progress into the quarterfinal round of judging. If all goes smoothly, you will be hearing from us near August 1 as to your status in the competition.

If you encountered any difficulties with our new online application system, please accept our humble apologies.

Thank you for entering the 2008 Nicholl Fellowships competition. Best of luck in it and with all your screenwriting endeavors.

Sincerely,

Greg Beal
            Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1140038/

Comment

they're...... coooommmming......

dah-nah, dah-nah, dah-nah, dah-nah....

Comment

Greg? Are you still there? So...will any letters go out on Monday? Or if you read this after Monday, did any letters go out on Monday?

Comment

If it's good news, I can wait.

If it's bad news, I can wait longer.
                  TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Did everyone get a confirmation letter in May? I did the last two years but not this year. Is that normal or does it mean for some reason they didn't get my script...?

Comment

Originally posted by Maclean View Post
                      Did everyone get a confirmation letter in May? I did the last two years but not this year. Is that normal or does it mean for some reason they didn't get my script...?

This is my first year entering so I'm not sure how it was done previously. I received a confirmation email in June, similiar to the one posted in this thread on Page 2.

I hope that helps.

Comment

You can log into their site to see if they received it or not.

Comment

Yeah, this is my third year and both of the previous years I got confirmation letters. I also can't get into their website right now so I guess I'm in the dark. Damn...

Comment

I'm not particularly expecting to get anywhere, because I used the competition as a deadline to get a coherent draft together and I could see that it had flaws which I'm now working to fix in a new draft. I'm curious - those of you who advanced in previous years and as a result had requests for your script - did you send the exact same draft you sent to Nicholl, or a 'new improved' draft given that in the meantime you'd been able to do more work on it?

Comment

No question - send the improved draft.

I know some people have also sent another script altogether because they thought it would be more marketable than the script that got them the Nicholl attention.

Comment

ditto what Mrhale wrote.

Comment

Working...
                                X