Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2008

I'm nothing short of astounded that everyone is so damn angst-ridden about this. I used to think that I worried a lot or had bouts of paranoia, but this thread takes the cake.

Carry on. Tomorrow's another day.

Comment

Originally posted by acquaformosa View Post
      I'm nothing short of astounded that everyone is so damn angst-ridden about this. I used to think that I worried a lot or had bouts of paranoia, but this thread takes the cake.

Carry on. Tomorrow's another day.
      If you want to be a successful writer, you must first learn to obsess. The Nicholl is the perfect way to hone this skill, because, as everyone knows, failure to make the first cut means any hope of a screenwriting career is over.
      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Whatever. Some people get their hopes up for these things. Let 'em. If one failure at Nicholl washes them out because they're so devastated, then they weren't meant to be screenwriters. But for the time being, let them have their fun. I'm sure everyone's anxious and/or excited in their own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Maclean View Post
          All right, now I'm starting to get suspicious. I got no letter today and I'm in L.A. I also got no letter in June from them saying they received my script. No email, either. But here's the kicker -- I called and found out they DID in fact cash my check. So something's up. I emailed them but no email back. So far I'm not the happiest camper. Gotta find a number to call.
          If we cashed your $30 check, then rest assured your script was entered in the competition. If you callled us and asked about your entry, we would not have told you we cashed your check without telling you that your entry was received. If you had created an online account, you would have been able to check your entry status at any time.

We sent about 5100 e-mails to entrants, mostly in May and June (the other folks didn't have e-mail addresses and were sent s-mail). Some number of those bounced, were blocked, etc. If we couldn't find a working e-mail address, we sent a letter.

All entrants were just sent a letter notifying them as to the first round results, regrets for most, congratulations for 261. All of the letters were out of our office on Monday, but the "unsigned" group definitely didn't get into the mail until Tuesday. That was only about 250 letters. Since the Academy's mail room is in another building, we don't know for certain that the nearly 5000 letters that reached them Monday afternoon made it through the postage meter and to the post office that evening.

The online accounts do not currently show any 2008 results, so you should not log in to your account unless you need to update your address or contact information.

Comment

I might have been a bit more angst-ridden about all this had I not, through entering online, attached the wrong file.

As it is, what I sent was typo ridden and contained a few illogical moments I'd since ironed out.

Hey ho....... you live and learn.

Just a quick question to Greg. What's the ETA on non US residents and their letter? Any estimation on all us Uk'ers waiting time?

Comment

Greg, thanks for the info. Always great to get it from the source.

The only thing that makes me worried is that I never got an email OR a letter in June. That's my point. And I didn't get a letter today.

But if I get a letter tomorrow, either way, everything will be fine. So this is all probably premature. I just found it strange I never got a letter in June like everyone else. But that happens, I guess.

Comment

This is my first time entering the Nicholl contest; I'll be happy if I make it into the QF's. Heck, I wouldn't mind winning the whole thing but at least a QF showing would provide some sense of validation. If I don't make it, life goes on and (Mets fans will relate) there's always next year. Although hopefully I'll be ineligible for next year's contest because I would've optioned/ sold a script by then.

In any case, I've got dozens of story ideas and I'm getting to work on the next script. Credit to Greg and the rest of his staff for running a top notch contest: it must be next to impossible dealing with 5,000 of us nervous wrecks. I'll be anxiously awaiting the mail carrier tomorrow: Good Luck to us all!
                Last edited by billtei; 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM.
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1140038/

Comment

You guys should do what I do.... assume you are going to lose. No, really. It's the odds. Then if you win, sweet. Same thing I do with query letters. Every 1 out of 20, they say yes.

I hope Done Deal has someone make the 261... but the reality is none of us will. And you can't change your chances now.

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.

Comment

I went over to triggerstreet... joined years ago, only went back recently to read posts.... someone got their letter but they are in LA--

Got my letter today (I'm in LA):

I'm proud to announce that GHOUL SCHOOL has made the Quarterfinals of the Nicholls!

According to the letter, only 261 entries out of 5,224 submissions made the QF cut. Pretty swanky, huh?

Now let's hear about some more TS Quarterfinalists!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post

... Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
                      Yep, "Gotta Be In It To Win It"
                      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1140038/

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        I went over to triggerstreet... joined years ago, only went back recently to read posts.... someone got their letter but they are in LA--

Got my letter today (I'm in LA):

I'm proud to announce that GHOUL SCHOOL has made the Quarterfinals of the Nicholls!

According to the letter, only 261 entries out of 5,224 submissions made the QF cut. Pretty swanky, huh?

Now let's hear about some more TS Quarterfinalists!
                        Congratulations on Ghoul School. Hasn't that screenplay placed in every competition under the sun? I'm glad it's still flaming a path!

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                          If you want to be a successful writer, you must first learn to obsess. The Nicholl is the perfect way to hone this skill, because, as everyone knows, failure to make the first cut means any hope of a screenwriting career is over.
                          Since when has failure to make a cut in a screenwriting contest become career ending? Contests are one avenue to attaining success. (Cliche warning !) Don't put all your eggs in one basket. There are so many other roads to becoming a screenwriter. Query agents, managers, ProdCos. Networking. Pitch fests. Online and in person. Besides, very, very few scripts get sold based on contest placement. Write the best damn script you can... it will get noticed.

Keep Writing!

Comment

No, dude...it really is career ending. If you don't make the cut you have to immediately turn in your copy of final draft and go home - hscope wasn't being sarcastic at all. He's totally serious. If you don't make the cut, it's over, man. Hate to break it to ya. (note 'sarcastic' eye roll)
                            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                              Wha? Nobody ever told me this! The very first script I ever wrote made the Nicholls "top 10%" and then I optioned/sold another script which made me ineligible for Nicholls (and lots of other contests) forevermore. Wish somebody had told me not to bother. Could have saved myself a heap of heartache and trouble.

Dude or dudette, hope you're being funny or sarcastic.

Last edited by LIMAMA; 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM. Reason: me
                              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                                Wha? Nobody ever told me this! The very first script I ever wrote made the Nicholls "top 10%" and then I optioned/sold another script which made me ineligible for Nicholls (and lots of other contents) forevermore. Wish somebody had told me not to bother. Could have saved myself a heap of heartache and trouble.

Dude or dudette, hope you're being funny or sarcastic.

Yeah, I was going to fire off some sort of "Oh, thanks for clueing me in . . . now I can hang it up . . ." but you guys beat me to the punch and did it for me. Damn writers. Clever bunch, we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X