Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2008

Got my letters today: I made the top 15% with both scripts I entered (the only two feature length scripts I've written). Didn't make the Quarterfinals.

This was very disappointing because my first script made the Quarterfinals last year and was much improved (I know it's possible to screw something up with revisions, but trust me, this got better), and I think my second/newer script was a lot better than the first. Ah well, maybe I got a little lucky last year and a little unlucky this year. Once you reach a certain level of quality, maybe the top 15%, the subjectivity of it all is an inescapable aspect of a competition like this. It giveth, and it taketh away. Doesn't mean that for the most part the best scripts within that top 15% group aren't rewarded, but it ain't an exact science either, obviously. (We now conclude the sour-grapes-rationalizing portion of our program. Thank you for coming. Good night.)

It comforts me (and is simultaneously maddening) to consider the example of Brett Nicholson, a Finalist in 2007 for Queen of the Sky. According to his blog that same script failed to even make the Quarterfinals in both 2005 and 2006. Two years in a row he didn't make the Quarters, and then was a Finalist with the same script! Food for thought...

My thanks to Greg Beal and everyone else involved for running such an indisputably classy operation.

Nine months and counting till May 1st, 2009. Back to work on script number three...

Comment

Guys and girls -- Yes winning is great. But Top 15% and Top 10% is not losing.... going down a little is okay too. But the ultimate goal is to get something going with your career with the script -- not to be a fellow.

Sure that's great, but would you rather get the fellowship or sell the script?

Don't lose sight of the goal. You are undervaluing your achievement.

I made the Semis of the Disney Fellowship (Top 50) spec of The Office. Last year it didn't make it. But I don't know if I was 51 or 2000 this time. What changed? Everything. New judges. New scripts. Luck.

I think we should all send each other letters saying "congrats. you made it." just to make us feel better.

I have a film production degree. It might be the most useless degree there is. It's just an expensive piece of paper.

Point is --- the lucky few who made the QT don't walk into CAA and say "buy this."

If you read the letter "just under 700 script were read a third time" so that's about 13%.... if you were the top 10 (you got 3 reads) and 15 (at least 2)... that's like winning 3 and 2 rounds respectively.

I'm sure a lot of people would kill for your achievement. And of course the people that don't know how they did --- well someone there is going to sell a script. The odds are that the rejected pile has more future screenwriters than the approved pile....

So keep fighting and writing. And selling yourself with whatever you've got.

Comment

I echo Bono's comments. The very first script I ever wrote got one of Greg's handwritten comments...and then my Showtime script got dinked at Austin. Take the validation and run with it.

http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

now that i was dinked, whats the next big contest to look forward to?

Comment

NYC, but still no letter.

I recently moved and entered with one address but updated it on the site around mid to late June. Wonder if its in the old apartment building...

Comment

Chesapeake VA, got my two letters today. One made it, the other didn't. Hurah!

Comment

San Francisco. Open letters weak knees please please please Hallelujah!!!!! thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you made the quarts!!!!

Whew.

Now I have to go lie down.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
                  San Francisco. Open letters weak knees please please please Hallelujah!!!!! thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you made the quarts!!!!

Whew.

Now I have to go lie down.

Late Night Writer
                  You had better luck than I had. Congrats. At least it's a cool day in The City today.
                  Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

That is cool, you guys.

Good luck, man!

Corona
                    I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                    I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

I'm out of it, got my letter today.

Top 10%. Thanks for the note, Greg!

Congrats to everyone that made it!

Comment

Didn't make it... But for those that did.... congrats!

Comment

I advanced two into the quarterfinals.
                          "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                            I advanced two into the quarterfinals.
                            That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Briking, top 10%?! Awesome, man!

Congrats to everybody who tried.

Corona
                            I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                            I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

Got my letter today...didn't make and there wasn't a note.

So my script must have been one of the worst.

Sparks

Comment

Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
                                Got my letter today...didn't make and there wasn't a note.

So my script must have been one of the worst.

Sparks
                                One of my scripts that advanced this year did NOT advance last year and got no note so I don't think you make the above inference.
                                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                                X