Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The British Feature Screenplay Competition

If I'm wrong Amit, I apologise, but I doubt I am.
    Last edited by Fox Bronte; 08-25-2009, 05:22 AM.
    "What's outside is easy, what's inside is hard."

Comment

Amit,

If you're not a shill, perhaps you'd care to comment on, say, even one other thread on this board? Hmm...? Or hire better writers to script you more natural-sounding message board dialogue. Because frankly, you sound like one of the "impressed audience members" of an infomercial.

When contests use shills it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. That, coupled with the absolutely outrageous entry fee screams "stay away," in my opinion.

Comment

The competition offers a maximum payment of $40,000 (which will be pro-rated if credit is shared) to the winning writer. By any normal measure, that is the prize. A substantial one, but not the richest in the world.

Unless the up to $2 million budget were being handed to a writer-director to make a film, it remains the budget and not a prize. It is especially not a prize for a writer.

In entering this competition, writers are essentially paying to have their scripts read by a company that promises to produce one of them. A great promise, which they seem to have fulfilled on the short film side for a number of years. Still, this is a means of attracting scripts and eliminating reading costs by a production company. Fees of $115 early and $150 late should cover a substantial amount of reading and administration.

The risk they're taking is in the guarantee that they will find a script suitable for production among the entries. My guess is that there will be several entrants and scripts known to organizers that will be solicited as entries and that will serve as fallbacks in case no other worthy scripts appear. In that way, the competition would mimic Sundance to an extent.

I guess that one could also assume that if they produce the film they will also set up distribution. Considering Project Greenlight, which shares some features with this competition, having Miramax/Dimension promise distribution didn't finally mean that much.

The success of this venture will ultimately hinge on the quality of the scripts and their suitability for some segment of the marketplace when produced on a low budget.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberian exile View Post
          Amit,

If you're not a shill, perhaps you'd care to comment on, say, even one other thread on this board? Hmm...? Or hire better writers to script you more natural-sounding message board dialogue. Because frankly, you sound like one of the "impressed audience members" of an infomercial.

When contests use shills it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. That, coupled with the absolutely outrageous entry fee screams "stay away," in my opinion.
          Wow! Thanks for your opinions guys! You're really something.

"Most writers are schizoid by nature" ... no Fox, these guys are paranoid!

But I wonder about what?!

Am I a shill?
          I could ask the same question of you cyberian exile?
          I'm not hiding behind a crappy handle!
          "stay away" that's a pretty clear message. Who's paying you to say that hmm..?

I heard about something and I asked an opinion. When I didn't get one I thought perhaps it's because they don't know. So I passed on what I had. I did you a favour pea brain!

You know you guys need to get out of your s*** holes and look at the sun some time. Then perhaps you'll stop being so f****** paranoid!

I don't need this! I don't need to banter words with people like you. I have a career to carve.

Comment

I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

If I can steal enough money this week to buy a toner cartridge, I might just submit an entry.

-Derek

Comment

Chill out, Amit. Some people get suspicious when a new poster champions a particular contest. It looks like advertising, particularly when you jump back in and argue against anyone who criticizes.

This may be a great competition, maybe not, but perhaps you would be better off to move aside and let people decide for themselves instead of taking offence.

You've said you are not involved in the contest, so why worry?
              TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Wow, Amit...not exactly the most effective post to refute the notion of screenwriters being schizo in nature.

But, um, I am not "hiding behind a handle." People here know who I am because they know how to click on the little links that display previous posts and websites and such.

I do not know who you are -- maybe you're a shill, maybe you aren't. All I know is you seem to have serious issues and a complete lack of perspective.

Comment

I'm going to enter this one despite the crazy steep entrance fee. This said, I'm entering a U.K. based low budget script that has already had some significant contest success and professional interest.

It seems to me that a lot of people will enter this competition with scripts that can't be made in the U.K. for a million pounds. As such it seems they'll be slipping down the pile come finalist time regardless of the quality of the writing and potential of the project.
                  "You become what you think about all day long" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Good luck with that, Scavenge. It sounds like you will have a leg up on the competition. I don't know, though, I'm still thinking that all those pounds could buy you an awful lot of postage and faxes for queries....

Comment

I was going to enter, but I don't think I stand a chance.
                      I'm a good writer, but with Amit reading my script, I stand no chance.
                      "What's outside is easy, what's inside is hard."

Comment

Originally posted by Fox Bronte View Post
                        I was going to enter, but I don't think I stand a chance.
                        I'm a good writer, but with Amit reading my script, I stand no chance.

Pretty funny...I was leaning towards thinking "Amit" wasn't a shill after all, until I saw the very recent interview with the contest director, Arif, on the Moviebytes site. The grammar and diction problems, as well as the prickly defensiveness and excessive use of exclamation points, are completely identical to "Amit's" voice. So weird.

http://www.moviebytes.com/ContestNew...estNumber=2287

Comment

Yeah I know you're right but what the hell. Now I'm out here in LA I have no real contacts left "over the pond".

Script was packaged at ICM a few years back we got some nibbles but eventually it all went south. I've recently done a strong re-write so I'm just throwing it out there.

I buy lottery tickets too

ah the exquisite evil of inventing taxes on hope

Originally posted by scavenge View Post
                          I'm going to enter this one despite the crazy steep entrance fee. This said, I'm entering a U.K. based low budget script that has already had some significant contest success and professional interest.

It seems to me that a lot of people will enter this competition with scripts that can't be made in the U.K. for a million pounds. As such it seems they'll be slipping down the pile come finalist time regardless of the quality of the writing and potential of the project.
                          "You become what you think about all day long" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Update on the Kaos Films website:

BFSC early deadline extended

Due to a technical issue the online payment fee cannot be changed until Friday 19 September.

This has offered an opportunity to extend the early postmark deadline to 19th September so you still have a few days to submit your screenplay for the special early deadline fee.
                            I can't find a way to see more info without actually signing up -- it's hardcopy submissions only, yeah?

-Derek

Comment

Working...
                            X