Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slamdance

They posted their second round on their website yesterday. Anyone else Slamdancing?

Re: Slamdance

We had two scripts advance. Yay!

We're trying to decide whether to go to the festival. Has anyone here attended in past years after doing well in their screenplay competition? Curious to hear how it compares to Austin (which we've already registered for).

Comment

Originally posted by LenAndAli View Post
      We had two scripts advance. Yay!

We're trying to decide whether to go to the festival. Has anyone here attended in past years after doing well in their screenplay competition? Curious to hear how it compares to Austin (which we've already registered for).
      I've never attended Austin.

Slamdance has a great vibe and community/camaraderie.

If you have the dough, go. You'll kill three birds with one stone - the other two being world-class skiing and Sundance (which runs concurrently).

Comment

I haven't been and I'm interested in going.

I'm no expert, but here's what I know/have heard: Last year when I was a semifinalist a writer/director friend of mine who's been to Slamdance and Sundance a few times warned/advised me that Slamdance is quite expensive and more oriented toward directors with completed films rather than screenwriters with a stack of papers. I'm paraphrasing, but his advice was if you have time and can afford it it could be fun, but if the money's an issue it might not be worth it because of the focus on filmmakers and completed films. (And also the general frenzy/mob scene.)

I go to Austin every year -- it's a lot of fun, people are very laid back and friendly, the dress code is relaxed, access to "insiders" is wide open and laid back and the festival's very easy to navigate. It's also very screenwriter-friendly. Filmmaker friends I met in Austin last year said other festivals they'd been in were much more cut-throat networking wise, etc. People were always looking around for someone better to talk to, etc. They liked that people in Austin weren't doing that.

I just re-read the post of the person above me and I'm glad to hear "Slamdance has a great vibe and community/camaraderie." They seem nice. The spirit of it makes it logical they'd be nice. So cool. Congrats, everyone!

Comment

I was a semi-finalist years ago and attended the film festival. I had a blast. Not just because the automosphere was so relaxed and it was my first film festival ever, but also because it was useful business wise. Luckily one of the Slamdance coordinators took a special interest in my project and made a point to introduce me to some big wig Fox 21 executives. I was able to establish a relationship with these execs, pitch ideas, and send several scripts to them. They also helped me get into a writing fellowship program. All because of Slamdance. I have nothing but love for them.

I'm kinda of bummed that the former director of Slamdance - J Stoddard isn't there anymore. He was the nicest guy and really knew the way to this writer's heart - free t-shirts, bags, and dvds! Incidentally if anyone knows how I can get in contact with him now, please let me know!
          Last edited by meemee2000; 09-13-2008, 06:26 AM.
          www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

Originally posted by meemee2000 View Post
            I was a semi-finalist years ago and attended the film festival. I had a blast. Not just because the automosphere was so relaxed and it was my first film festival ever, but also because it was useful business wise. Luckily one of the Slamdance coordinators took a special interest in my project and made a point to introduce me to some big wig Fox 21 executives. I was able to establish a relationship with these execs, pitch ideas, and send several scripts to them. They also helped me get into a writing fellowship program. All because of Slamdance. I have nothing but love for them.

I'm kinda of bummed that the former director of Slamdance - John Stoddard isn't there anymore. He was the nicest guy and really knew the way to this writer's heart - free t-shirts, bags, and dvds! Incidentally if anyone knows how I can get in contact with him now, please let me know!
            [email protected]

Last email I had for him.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
              [email protected]

Last email I had for him.

Jim
              Awesome! Thanks!
              www.cheapskate-a-holic.com Release your inner cheapskate!!

Comment

My short, "King of Dogwoods" made the next round.

It's about a Georgia farmhand who sells his soul to the Devil to be better at throwing horseshoes to win over the love of his life, but never counts on the Devil falling for the same girl.

Good luck to all remaining writers and scripts.

David Byrne

Comment

That's a bummer that John left the contest. I've never entered the contest, but have worked with him on the festival side. Great guy.

Slamdance as a whole is run by an amazing group of people who do things for the love of film, and nothing more. Congrats to all who advanced. If you do go to Park City, you will have a great experience for sure.

Comment

According to their ad in Script the Horror Screenplay competition is still open until the end of this month. Anyone currently in it? Anyone been in it? Is it worth it?

And Script Savvy? Anyone?
                    "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

The Slamdance site says it's still working out details for the horror comp. Are they already taking entries?

Comment

Originally posted by citybrave View Post
                        The Slamdance site says it's still working out details for the horror comp. Are they already taking entries?
                        That's what I'm wondering. Do I trust the ad or trust them? (just watched Don't Mess with the Zohan...funny line).
                        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

I sent an email to Slamdance asking for details, and will post as soon as they get back to me. If they get back to me. The email I used is [email protected].

Best of luck if you enter!

Comment

Kermet and Co. -- Slamdance responded with, "It's being worked out. Best, Screenplay." They actually signed it "screenplay." Not sure if that's a first name or a last name...

Comment

My guess is, they're still trying to firm up a sponsor/prize (a company who will promise to produce the winner), but no one has committed yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X