No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WB Writers Workshop

Originally posted by grant View Post
    Cable is just anything that's not network (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, myTV). So basically any new TV show that was on American TV in the past year.
    Thanks for the clarification grant. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
      Would you mind sharing some of what you wrote, or what you said in general that makes you unique?
      When I sat down to do my essay, I searched high and low for an example to give me a starting off point. I only found one (by some dude who never made finals) and used it as a template. Then trashed it because it wasn't me. And that is (from what I understand) what they want. Something that is entirely you. Explaining who you are. Which is why I don't want to post anything that might take away from that.

Here's a link to an interview with the head of the program that might help out. It's a couple years old, so don't pay attention to due dates, but the info is still pertinent.

http://www.danomatic.com/2007/07/12/...ng-fellowship/

Comment

When you go on general meetings in TV land, half hour to forty-five minute sit downs with studio and network execs, the meeting always starts off the same way -

The executive says something to the effect of "tell me about yourself..."

Which is their way of asking "what about you is different from all the other writers that I meet?"

Since the creative process of most shows involves a group effort, there's an idea that people with interesting backgrounds or life experiences will have more to contribute in the writers room - which from experience I would say is mostly true.

So this essay is a way for you to introduce yourself and what's unique about you. Ideally, you'd want to be called in for the interview and have it start with "Tell me more about X, it sounds fascinating..."

Jake is right on the money when he says "entirely you...explaining who you are."

Comment

Thanks for the info, JimJim. I guess I've got to come up with a better, shorter essay. ****.
          "Witticism"
          -Some Guy

Comment

Alright, so I banged out a new essay yesterday. I'm sorry to see the old one go, because it was pretty funny (and I'm hypercritical of my writing, so me saying that means something), but the new one is a more on topic, comes in at a page, and I still insult the reader's work ethic and talk about me having a large penis, so I'm okay with it.
            "Witticism"
            -Some Guy

Comment

Re: WB vs. ABC/Disney

Originally posted by Frank Black
              I was talking to my managers today and they were extremely positive about this program - even more so than the ABC Fellowship (which I had always thought was more prestigious).

Their reasoning was that the WB program puts people into actual staffing jobs while the ABC program subsidizes fellowship winner's salaries wherever they land. Which often means the staff job dries up when the subsidies disappear - since those writers aren't budgeted into the show.

Just thought it was worth noting because I was surprised by their answer. And these guys are a top level management company - so they're not just shooting from the hip.
              Yes. And people do get staffed off WB's program but for someone coming from out of town, ABC is much more attractive just in order of survival until staffing.

Comment

I sent in a Big Bang Theory spec.
                After was all gendarmes and dick stitches...

Comment

I apply to so many of these contests and they all have different rules. Did you put all the contact info on the normal cover page or on the white stock cover itself?

I know some contests want just the title on the stock cover and no cover page at all.

Comment

I haven't used stock covers in years....

I'd put it all on the title page. Or else the intern copying these scripts for the various readers will just have to write it in. And if they forget... well, that'd suck.

Comment

I don't understand this. The contest has clear rules re: what to put on the title page.

Are you saying you haven't looked at the entry information? Because then you probably missed a few other details as well.

Comment

How many here are applying last minute, like me? Does this matter in the grand scheme of things?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Black
                          I was gonna say the same thing...and "stock cover"? Huh? I don't know ANYONE asking for those. Title page + script = industry standard.
                          Well today 99% of the time I send a PDF -- but back in the old days like 2003, people would ask for physical scripts and I'd of course use 64 to 80lb card stock covers, 2 brads, then title page, script.

Are you guys sending scripts with just paper and no cover to protect the script?

Yes, I did read it -- I was tired and just posted as sometimes certain contests have things you don't know. For example Austin wants you to post the logline on the title page and some contests only want the script title and no contact info at all. And some told me to just write on the cover stock and not to use a title page. So in my experience, they all have different rules, but I always send a script that has a cover on it.

For this one, I noticed they wanted the confirmation number on the script, resume, check, composition. I'm sure most contests like these have some of these rules -- just to see if people can follow them and if they can't, they toss the scripts out.

Comment

Working...
                          X